iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it ok to stop an visit sawmills?

Started by Lambee10, April 06, 2015, 02:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lambee10

I travel a good bit along the east coast for work.  I see sawmills around but I do not stop.  However, I am dying to see the operation how they are set up. What wood they are cutting in that area and other things.  I am mostly talking about smaller mills that do it commercially.  I feel like I would be bothering them to ask. 

What are the thoughts about someone stopping to watch the operation?  Proud to show it or don't want to be bothered? ???

All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Jeff

It really depends on the mill. Stopping in cold might not be the best approach for some, but how would you know. If you are talking Forestry Forum member sawmills, you have the ability to ask ahead of time via a personal message here.  I know some members are thrilled to get visitors, while some not so much.  When I was working in the big mill, I always liked to have visitors in the saw booth, but on any given day, the office may or may not have been receptive to a guest. Always go to the office first on a commercial mill site. Just wandering around unexpected will get you in trouble usually even places where guests are welcome.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Check the Woodmizer site if interested in checking at WM operator sites. Look for the Pro-Sawyers in the area where you will be visiting. Most of us who have signed up for that indicate we are willing to show off our mills to interested parties.

Calling ahead is always a good idea but I expect people to show an interest and generally welcome it. I will initially shut down my mill to talk a few minutes. Then if they want to watch I will position them in a safe place and resume operations.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Cedarman

About 10 to 12 years ago I stopped with my kids and wife at a smallish redwood mill in California.  Saw to guys in the yard and pulled in.  Told them who I was and what I did in Indiana and asked if they had a moment to tell about their mill.  they took about 20 to 30 minutes and we had a good chat.  Didn't ask to go into the sawmill, was more interested in the logs.  3' diameter redwood second growth about 70 years old.  Told them how big an ERC would be at that age.  I know they felt sorry for me.
In this case, it worked out fine.
I don't think it hurts to stop and ask.  Be upfront on who you are and what you are about.  Some may be happy and some not.
Us guys are used to hearing no anyway.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ron Wenrich

Most guys are happy for the company.  As long as you're not trying to sell them something, they always seemed to be more receptive.  If you ask the right questions, you'll get a ton of information. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

YoungStump

We get quite a few visitors through our operation, oftentimes one of the guys in the office will take them thru the shop and show them around.
I have also visited different sawmills, most times guys are happy to show you around and bs awhile. Calling ahead especially if you don't know or have connections with the owners is a good idea.
A lot of the visitors we get and places I've visited are people who know us or know someone who works there or have some connection direct or indirect.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

goose63

You might not make this far west but if you do by all means stop in
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

kelLOGg

I am not far from you at all and you are welcome to drop on a short notice to make sure I am here and sawing. I'm down to one log left and I am awaiting input from the owner so I may not have logs to saw but if you just want to see the setup you are welcome to that too.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on April 06, 2015, 03:10:00 PM
Just wandering around unexpected will get you in trouble usually even places where guests are welcome.

Yep!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Lambee10

Thanks for the info and invites!  Got your numbers Bob and will take you up on it!
ND is a bit outside my territory but us never know.  ;D
Peter- that's a maybe  :)

I think piston offered me a steak one time if I came to SC  :D

You see these operation tucked in the hills and back roads (dang GPS gets loster than me) and I just wanna stop and hear the stories.

thecfarm

Come see mine if you want. If you're coming this week,better bring a shovel.The white stuff is still on it. Maybe you better wait a few more weeks.  :D
I don't see many mills in this area. But when I was thinking of an OWB,I stopped whenever I saw one outside that had one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

You are welcome to stop by my mill. Just bring your gloves. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

I call it " sawmill bumming" before I set up my circular mill I traveled around the state looking at small sawmill operations and talked to sawyers. If you know the trade language and are not a dork or braggard most will welcome you. I have learned something from every mill I've watched even if its what not to do. There are some clever rascals milling,you can pick out their stregnths and weaknesses. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

red

It's an acquired taste
Like chess, bowling and golf
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The worst visitors are the ones who stop by and all of a sudden they start trying to help you by taking boards off the cant after each pass.
Or they will see one side of a log go way up in the air while the claw is trying to turn in and they grab the log to try to help you turn it.

These 2 things will get you a Goat butt quick!  smiley_fused_bomb
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 06, 2015, 08:58:10 PM
The worst visitors are the ones who stop by and all of a sudden they start trying to help you by taking boards off the cant after each pass.
Or they will see one side of a log go way up in the air while the claw is trying to turn in and they grab the log to try to help you turn it.

These 2 things will get you a Goat butt quick!  smiley_fused_bomb

Or get behind me when I'm backing up the head. I'm in the seat with my head looking at the back end of the mill. ::) yikes_smiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Logger003

People are welcome to stop by while I'm sawing. I don't mind if they try to help as long as they stay away from the person pulling the stick he has enough to worry about without someone hanging over his shoulder

Tom the Sawyer

I am mobile so if someone just showed up they would probably be disappointed but with advance notice they can usually meet me on-site (with client approval). 

I have asked to visit and been welcomed at mills in several different states.  Only once have I asked for permission and received a cold shoulder reply, brrrrrrrr (I'm not a spy).    no_no

Intending to visit NC in May and already have a couple of FF members on our itinerary.  smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

scsmith42

I welcome visitors that have extended the courtesy of scheduling their visit

We are a small operation and sometimes work can grind to a halt if someone unscheduled shows up.  Many days are hectic with us trying to get an order out, fix a piece of equipment, or beat the weather.

With some notice, I can plan out the day so that my folks stay busy while I'm spending quality time with the visitor and also I can schedule customer visits not to coincide with the fellow sawyer's visit.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

esarratt

I personally just walk up and tell them that I am building my own timber frame house and ask them a few questions or compliment their mill.  That usually starts up a conversation if they are in to it.

If they are busy it becomes immediately obvious and we talk just a few minutes and then I split.

Nobody have ever been rude, mean or unkind.

I also get lots of FREE! trees this way. ;D  (Think: burl wood, nice red oak crotches)  "Hey!  You want that tree?"

Seaman

Any of you folks are welcome to stop by when you are in Western NC !
FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Brucer

If you're going to stop by ...
If there's an office of some kind, go there first.
Wear safety boots and eye protection.
Watch from a distance.
Don't stand where any mobile equipment may need to operate.
Wait to be acknowledged -- don't approach the nearest person you see.
Say you have a few questions but if they're busy, would it be OK for you to just watch.
Don't ever do anything to slow the operation down (people standing around waiting for the person you're talking to should be a hint).

If it's a one person outfit (like mine), have a pair of gloves in your back pocket. Ask if there's anything you can do to help. Never jump in and try to "help" without checking first.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Cedarman

In addition to Brucer's  comments, if you get a tour, be sure to make compliments.  Most business people are proud of their business and don't mind at all if you say something nice.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Lambee10

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on April 06, 2015, 11:48:52 PM
I am mobile so if someone just showed up they would probably be disappointed but with advance notice they can usually meet me on-site (with client approval). 

I have asked to visit and been welcomed at mills in several different states.  Only once have I asked for permission and received a cold shoulder reply, brrrrrrrr (I'm not a spy).    no_no

Intending to visit NC in May and already have a couple of FF members on our itinerary.  smiley_thumbsup

If you are in the Raleigh area let me know if you want to come by.  Ain't much but its mine!

Lambee10

Thanks for all the responses.  I know some will be nice and some wont have the time.  I have been around enough to know how that is- Which is why I posted this question.

I like the term 'sawmill bumming' as that is what it is!  I may be in touch with a few of you while in my travels.

My invitation is open for a visit to my place just let me know as I have a real job to support my sawmill.   :D

Percy

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 06, 2015, 08:47:26 PM
I call it " sawmill bumming" before I set up my circular mill I traveled around the state looking at small sawmill operations and talked to sawyers. If you know the trade language and are not a dork or braggard most will welcome you. I have learned something from every mill I've watched even if its what not to do. There are some clever rascals milling,you can pick out their stregnths and weaknesses. Frank C.
THis^^^^  :D :D Right on the money Frank
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

When I was in the mill everyday, I liked to have people visit the saw booth that never had a clue. Most of them were absolutely blown away by what they saw and learned.  I can remember some invited guests that got quite the tour.  I related the story years ago in a different thread.

Quote from: Jeff on October 17, 2002, 03:28:10 PM
A few years ago the boss changed banks. He invited his new banker to bring his family to see the mill run. He, his wife and daughter all piled into my saw booth. I sawed one log and started another, talking and explaining as I sawed. I took a slab off the next log brought the carriage back, hit the set button and headed back into the saw. Well, something in the setworks failed and instead of stopping at 4/4 the drive kept driving even as I entered the saw, resulting in some real loud noises, sparks, and some other unplanned activities.

The banker asked. "was that supposed to do that?"  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Lambee10

Quote from: Jeff on April 08, 2015, 12:24:36 PM
When I was in the mill everyday, I liked to have people visit the saw booth that never had a clue. Most of them were absolutely blown away by what they saw and learned.  I can remember some invited guests that got quite the tour.  I related the story years ago in a different thread.

Quote from: Jeff on October 17, 2002, 03:28:10 PM
A few years ago the boss changed banks. He invited his new banker to bring his family to see the mill run. He, his wife and daughter all piled into my saw booth. I sawed one log and started another, talking and explaining as I sawed. I took a slab off the next log brought the carriage back, hit the set button and headed back into the saw. Well, something in the setworks failed and instead of stopping at 4/4 the drive kept driving even as I entered the saw, resulting in some real loud noises, sparks, and some other unplanned activities.

The banker asked. "was that supposed to do that?"  :D

Man- I hate it when that happens.   :) :D

Thank You Sponsors!