iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting better with the Swinger?

Started by Qweaver, April 05, 2015, 09:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm just not very good with the Peterson.  I'm better than I was when I first started but I'm faster and much more accurate with the Woodmizer.  I've received many hints on how to improve my sawing and tried them all,  but I'm still running behind the curve.  I know that the swinger, run properly,  can compete or beat the bandmill...but not with me running it.  But it's great that I can saw these 46" logs now.  So I love it for that. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Chuck White

You'll find that things will get a little more streamlined in your operation as time goes by!

That Peterson can do stuff that the Wood-Mizer can't without a lot of work like quartering logs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Seaman

Hand in there, I pick up a thing or to each time I use the swinger, but I got a LONG way to go yet. I keep hearing that we need 10,000 hours at something to be truly good at it. That's a LOT of stickers !
FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sigidi

Frank and Quinton, don't be so hard on yourself, the swinger isn't such a mysterious machine. By far and large the most important speed saving with my Lucas is log handling, if log handling can be cut down production will drastically increase.

With regard to increased production, an old guy told me you don't need to speed up the blade in the timber, you need to speed up when the blade isn't in the timber...
Always willing to help - Allan

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

scsmith42

Quote from: sigidi on April 06, 2015, 04:28:43 PM
Frank and Quinton, don't be so hard on yourself, the swinger isn't such a mysterious machine. By far and large the most important speed saving with my Lucas is log handling, if log handling can be cut down production will drastically increase.

With regard to increased production, an old guy told me you don't need to speed up the blade in the timber, you need to speed up when the blade isn't in the timber...

Truer words have never been spoken!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Qweaver

Hey Steve,  what is that beside you?  Also, do you have a slabber for your machine?  Is it practical to build one?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Quote from: Qweaver on April 07, 2015, 01:24:38 PM
Hey Steve,  what is that beside you?  Also, do you have a slabber for your machine?  Is it practical to build one?

Quinton, that's Ricochet (Shea for short), our Belgian Malinois....

Oh - you might mean the slab.... it is a black oak slab 4-1/2" thick, 14' long and close to 6' across.  Here is a link to a thread about slabbing it:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80427.0.html

Yes, I have a slabber that I designed and a friend of mine and I built.  I started with a spare Peterson carriage that I bought from Craig Blake years ago, and then we fabricated all of the support structure from aluminum and stainless steel.  With your fabrication background you should be able to build one fairly easily.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!