iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crazy Red Oak Prices

Started by ElectricAl, September 02, 2004, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

We do a lot of custom Grade sawing for local loggers.

In the mail today we got copies of our loggers PO pricing.

This is the highest we have ever seen Green Red Oak for all Grades. :o

FAS 1425
SEl  1405
#1 C 1025
#2ac  770
#3ac  520

Prices are up for White Oak, Basswood, Ash, Hickory, and Cherry.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

oakiemac

Cool! I hope I get those prices next time I sell green RO. :)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Curlywoods

I feel your pain.  Our customers have been mumbling about the steady increase in Red Oak since earlier this year too.  I mean there must be at least a $0.35 per bf increase in wholesale since April.  Cherry has gotten to the point that I am almost ready to quite carrying it!  People look at me like I am stealing from them.  

All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Norm

Earlier this summer I was asking my buddy Dave what they were getting for red oak logs. He thought they were getting $1.00 for good quality logs.

The tree in my front yard is looking nervous. :D

ElectricAl

Curly,

We are in the same boat, you know, the one that is sinking :-[

Most people look at our prices and think we are cutting a fat hog. The real story is I could get a job in town that pays more per year, has less hours per year, and we would have health insurance. >:(

We have started to stock pile high quality lumber for our selfs ;)  Within 5 years we will not be able to aford good logs :-/

8 years ago we could buy super quality Red Oak, Walnut, and Cherry for 50 cents all day long. 50,000' per order was not a problem. Now the same or even lower quality logs go over seas for 2 to 4 bucks >:(

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

AtLast

hmmmmm..I just sold 2000 b/f @ 2$ a b/f.....

oldsaw

Sawwood, JR (resident lurker), his son, his helper, and myself, bucked a near 40" Red Oak that had usable log out to 24'.

Skid steer loader couldn't lift the logs, so I broke out the Alaskan and shaved 4 sides.  Dropped 100-200lbs per slice, and got it small enough for the loader to get them on the trailer, and to get on JRs Norwood.

Seeing this post reminds me of two things.  First, can't let them sit too long.  Second...it's raining out.  And two of those logs were really nice.  Can you say 30" slab of QS RO?

My wife was giving me some grief about the mess yesterday...well, the garage is a bit dusty after working out dust collection system stuff, but I showed her some oak I had done.  "That's pretty"  She couldn't picture that coming from a rough sawn board.  Then I told her that the little board I had would cost $25 at Home Depot or Lowes.  She just about swallowed her pillow.  Now she understands why I haven't done much woodwork over the years.  I'm too cheap.

BTW, Sawwood took some pictures, hope he posts some.  Did find out that a 2x4 is a pretty bad guide for an Alaskan.  But, we weren't planning on using it there.  Told JR that his Norwood would "find straight".  
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

rvrdivr

My neighbor had cut this tree down and was burning it when I saved these two logs. I had told him a week earlier I wanted the tree but I think he loves to burn. Tree hater!

I can't wait to cut this up!

rvrdivr

I should mention that these two big Red Oak logs came from Branford Florida. The smaller logs in the back ground are Laural Oak.

DanG

I was in Lowes last night pricing winders and doors and the like for the new house. ;D  Passed by their little display of hardwoods and saw that a 10' Red Oak 1x6 is going for $35. :o
Do y'all know if Southern RO is sold the same as the Northern variety?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Norm

Most places such as lowes and home depot don't differentiate northern or southern grown red oak. Other places that specialize in hardwoods will to the effect if it's northern red oak, northern red oak usually commands a premium. Seems to be one of the few advantages to living up here in the great white north. :D

DanG

Folks have long turned up their noses at southern hardwoods, but supply and demand seem to be taking a toll on that kind of thinking. :) At those prices, though, I could knock off 4 bits and still get $6.50 a bf. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!