iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer decking

Started by gimpy, April 05, 2015, 02:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gimpy

What would be a price for (trailer decking) 4 - 4"x10"x18'? I have some 21' lodgepole pine logs to cut.

Also from the same supply of logs, 16 - 2"x8"x16' (different trailer decking).

What would you charge? (I realize this would be considered a small order and I guess it'd be at a premium price. Price at my place where the logs and mill are.

This is for my logger neighbor and he'll likely overpay me in logs but I'd like to get an approximate money value of lumber? Trying to learn values of custom milling.

Thanks in advance.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

tmarch

If they were my logs I'd charge $1 a board foot, if they are his logs I get .35 a board foot.  There's no such thing as too small an order if I have the material and I'm given enough time. :)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

barbender

I've gotten $1/bf for bur oak decking I've sawn, and that's really not enough for the time I have into it. Long stuff is a pain in the butt to saw and handle. I'm really just trying to develop a market.  Also, IMO, lodgepole won't make a very durable trailer deck. If that's what the customer wants, that's what I'd give him, but I would try to point him to something that will last longer.
Too many irons in the fire

woodmills1

here only the low budget will use any pine for decking.  I get 1.50 to 2 bucks a bd ft for oak.  If they wanted pin it would be 75 cents
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

gimpy

I think it would be presumptuous of me to make any recommendations on wood to a logger. Especially a new neighbor when I'm joining the community. Know what I mean? Smile. I'm going to cut what he wants/needs and he'll pay me in logs. It doesn't cost him much and when they need replacing again, he'll let me know. I don't have to make a living milling and I have the time and interest in becoming a valuable neighbor. little labor in free time and a little fuel traded for logs seems like a win/win.

In the future, I would expect to get better saw logs from him just because I'm willing to help him out and am willing to trade. Pine delivered to his door at no real cost will likely beat large lumber of better species ordered from far away places.

Like I said, I'm just wondering on value. I'm also assuming there is little difference in the cost to mill between species if doing the work on an hourly basis.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

customsawyer

When it comes to value of the lumber in my neck of the woods it has more to do with the availability of the logs. I can by 25 tons of pine logs for less than $1500.00, any day of the week. When it comes to good WO saw logs I would have to wait awhile till a logger gets on a good tract. This is one of the main reasons that I sell pine cheaper than I do hardwood. ;) Not saying what you are doing is wrong just a different market.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!