iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Cherry Does he mean?

Started by kwendt, April 04, 2015, 10:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwendt

Okay, so I emailed the electric company and told them about a bunch of trees bumping the lines, including one with a big limb split that the previous owner had used a ratchet strap on... to hold it (from the weight of the limb cracking it more). They sent someone out from Asplundh in about 5 days to look at it. (Yeah... free cutting of trees, they leave the wood). I'm especially grateful for them cutting/maintaining the area around the power lines.

But... the gentleman who called me said they'd take down the problem trees and 'remove all the incompatable growth'. Basically means they will remove all the sapling maples and such that will grow into the lines. But then.... then he said, "You've got a bunch of cherry towards the north, and we won't touch that 'cause it will never grown into the wires, it stays low."

What type of Cherry does he mean? According to the Maine Forestry Service book... Pin Cherry and Black Cherry grow in this section of the state. Pin Cherry is a 'small tree seldom growing taller than 25'-30'." I would think that 25' would definitely reach the wires! Black Cherry grows up like 40' to 50'. So what does he mean then? [I am not there, can't take a picture].

Could he mean Chokecherry? Even Chokecherry gets 25' high.

I know, I know... I should have asked further! What IS it?
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Mark Wentzell

It could be either pin or choke cherry, probably a combination of both. Neither is very long lived and would only reach 25' on good sites.

samandothers

So how do you ID the 'curly' cherry prior to cutting and thus knowing to quarter saw or center for flat sawing?

mike_belben

Cherry leans over into an arch as soon as it has an excuse to do so.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!