iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please allow me to....

Started by InterMechanico, April 04, 2015, 08:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InterMechanico

introduce myself;

My name is Julian. I'm a HD Field Mechanic in Vancouver B.C. I came upon this wonderful forum when I began research into slabbing. Thanks to all the great info here, I think I now have some good, reliable equipment to mill a few logs.

I purchased a Stihl MS661 C-M to do the ripping, along with 20", 25" and 36" bars and some standard and skip link chain. I also purchased a 24" Granberg MkIII Alaskan Mill, and have also built a 48" rail for it. I needed a jig to do some edging, so I built a somewhat more complicated (and easier to use) version of the Beam Machine.

Hello, Everyone. Thank you for all the advice you've already provided me.

All I need now is a nice clear piece of Red Cedar, about 10 feet long :D
Approaching every job with a mind for completing it :)

Stihl MS290 , MS661 C-M , Glanberg Alaskan MkIII Mill , Home Made Edging Jig , All the safety gear

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Around here, HD is Harley Davidson... is that correct?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Hello InterMechanico, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

InterMechanico,welcome to the forum. I thought heavy duty first.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

InterMechanico

Quote from: beenthere on April 04, 2015, 09:24:12 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Around here, HD is Harley Davidson... is that correct?

No Sir. Up north HD means Heavy Duty, so wheel loaders, dozers, excavators, etc...

It's my passion (for some strange reason) and I find it very rewarding, despite all the weather (I'm always in the weather, always...)

Stihl MS290 , MS661 C-M , Glanberg Alaskan MkIII Mill , Home Made Edging Jig , All the safety gear

sandhills

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to hearing about your work.

beenthere

So IM, that separates you from the LD's...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hacknchop

Welcome to the ff InterMechanico,I bet you will be able to help with advice on newer machines,do you work for contractor or one of the HD dealerships?
Often wrong never indoubt

InterMechanico

From the Light Duty's???

A back injury :D

Sorry, I thought you had asked WHAT separates me from the LD's

InterMechanico

Quote from: hacknchop on April 04, 2015, 11:16:28 PM
Welcome to the ff InterMechanico,I bet you will be able to help with advice on newer machines,do you work for contractor or one of the HD dealerships?

I do not work for a dealer, but rather on a wide range of makes and models of equipment. I may be able to help troubleshoot issues that members may have with their equipment, both new and old. Of course, I'll be happy to help if I can. ask away, but be prepared to answer detailed follow up questions  :)

hacknchop

Im used to getting the third degree as I had a good friend that was a mechanic who when you turned to for advice left nothing to chance, often starting by asking me which loader? to which I would answer you know the only one I have the one you bought!  :D ;D
Often wrong never indoubt

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, InterMechanico.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

Welcome aboard neighbour. DanG spellcheck, we spell it with a u.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

Welcome IM,
I knew what you meant with HD. I worked in the logging industry around Squamish and that term is used still.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Autocar

Welcome to the forum when you talk red cedar are you taking western red  or eastern red. I know your country grows some beautiful western reds. Welcome again.
Bill

InterMechanico

Quote from: Paul_H on April 05, 2015, 01:01:25 PM
Welcome IM,
I knew what you meant with HD. I worked in the logging industry around Squamish and that term is used still.

My first job in this line of work was in Port Mellon, working for Sandy Gibb. I actually expect to be back out that way again in a few (3) years; all part of a planned move to Gibsons.

QuoteWelcome to the forum when you talk red cedar are you taking western red  or eastern red. I know your country grows some beautiful western reds. Welcome again.

I'm looking for about 8 feet of 36" Diameter Western red cedar to make a bookmatched tabletop for the rooftop patio of my..... Condo. lol (Hence the desire to move to Gibsons and acreage).

By the way, I finished my Jig and have it squared up, and the 48" rail for the Alaskan MkIII is also finished up and ready to go. With the 36" bar, I'll have a (modest) cutting capacity of 29.5". I also Jimmy-Jammied an Auxilary oiler out of a 1 litre cola bottle, a 5/32" welding rod and a neat flexy nozzle thing i picked up at NewLine (pics to follow)

InterMechanico

r.man

Hello Intermechanico, do mean Gibson's the filming location for "The Beachcombers"?  Welcome to the FF.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

InterMechanico

sandhills

InterMechanico

Thanks! It carries a full complement of tooling including line boring equipment and a Caterpillar hose press. The Welder provides my compressed air and also powers the hydraulic power unit which runs the crane. Everything including the work lights runs off the welder, so the truck doesn't idle on the jobsite at all. ;) I was using my head when I spec'd it out.

Thank You Sponsors!