iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3-53 Starter

Started by jwilly3879, April 04, 2015, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

Replaced the starter on the 3-53 in the loader with a high torque unit recommended by Treeslayer2003. What a difference, it is about 30 lbs. lighter than the Delco and you can get to all the bolts. Had to open up the bolt holes in the mounting flange to get the bolts started but other that it was a direct replacement. Spins the old girl over at twice the speed.

Mooseknuckle

Hey J willy can u let me know what starter u bought as a replacement?  Name and model would e greatly appreciated with approx price. My starter is still doing fine but i would like to grab a good one if things go for a dump down the road.   Thanks!!
Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

BargeMonkey

X2. mine isnt busted yet but im interested in getting one.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: jwilly3879 on April 04, 2015, 05:52:52 PM
Replaced the starter on the 3-53 in the loader with a high torque unit recommended by Treeslayer2003. What a difference, it is about 30 lbs. lighter than the Delco and you can get to all the bolts. Had to open up the bolt holes in the mounting flange to get the bolts started but other that it was a direct replacement. Spins the old girl over at twice the speed.
i'm glad that worked out well John. guys i have looked all over and only found this at masco starter and alternator .com. they are a little pricey but i won't pay for another crappy rebuild. 

John i assume you got the wiring issue sorted out?

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

jwilly3879

The starter was an MA-10882 and it is about $100 more than a delco replacement but it is much simpler to install and spins twice as fast and draws less amps.

1-888-446-2726 and I had it in 2 days.

Thanks Mike.

Yes Rick, that is the one. They just need to know the rotation of the engine. From the flywheel end, mine rotates CCW and the starter is on the left side so the starter was a CW, they come either way.

Mooseknuckle

Thanks a lot for the info. I would rather get the right one a pay a little more!!

lumberjack48

If i was to go back logging with all my hind site on starting skidders in cold weather. I would run 40# full synthetic oil year round and put a air started on my skidder. No more of this barely turning over, dead batteries, jumper cables and ect.
We hooked 24 volt to my dads C5, 3-53, that ole Detroit would start any time. But there you go again monkeying with batteries.
I watched some guys start a old B model Mack out in a junk yard that had a air starter. It was basically just the motor setting in the frame. They had a gas powered air compressor. They aired up the holding tank on the Mack, then climbed up in the cab and hit the starter. The motor didn't turn over it spun over, smoke rolled out of the stack, making perfect smoke rings, the motor started, this impressed me.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mooseknuckle

Heres an airstarter on an
old truck. Turns it over like nothing. That older movie maximum overdrive had an old wrecker with an air starter as well, pretty impresive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ruaSQXFX8kw

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!