iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvest from the woods other than from logs.

Started by Joe Hillmann, April 04, 2015, 12:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

JBlain

I belive salal is a wild plant with edible berries in the NW.  I could see selling hickory walking sticks, wild oregano and other wild plants like cohosh, and we do sell a lot of Chanterelles mushrooms, mostly because my stomach stopped liking them a few years ago, through a friend at a local farmers market.  The city folks can't seem to get enough "from the local woods" food nowadays.   They key is finding a demand niche and market to move things.
Josh

DeerMeadowFarm

enigmaT120

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

dustyhat

I know some loggers that pick up flat sandrock in the winter months, landscapers and home builders buy them but they dont grow back real quick. 55 a ton was what i heard they paid last.

up2themtn

Western North Carolina has a strong market for Tulip Poplar bark used to make siding for homes and other buildings.  You mentioned Ginseng, but there a market for hundreds, and really even thousands of other medicinal plants, its all about the marketing.  Firewood is another obvious one.

davemartin88

We don't sell it but like to make syrup from Shagbark Hickory bark that falls off the tree. Nice alternative to maple.

AMBoser

Here's another mention for medicinal plants. I'm not sure what is available in your woods in your area, but I'm sure there would be quite a few. Native plants make great tinctures and other forms of medicines. I use cottonwood buds (also from Balsam Poplar, makes a fabulous salve for sprains), Oregon grape, Devil's Club, bleeding heart, elderberries, wild ginger, and more. Those are just the plants I know of from my backyard.
Trying to learn without making a mistake every time.

jrose1970

I didn't notice if anyone mentioned Sassafras. You may not want to sell it, but it makes great tea.
I don't think you have to dig up the root. You may can just use the leaves, but I will have to read up on it.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

samandothers

mmm sasafrass tea!  Have not had that is quite a while. My grandmother made it.  It was always from the roots.  We would get 'ground pine' or running cedar for Christmas decorations.

edkemper

Does anyone actually plant and grow mushrooms? Here in the NW, it's supposed to be a no brainer if you have downed pine trees. There's a season for the pickers on public land and it's competitive. So I'm thinking about growing them as I have mostly a pine forest property.
Old Man

John Mc

People grow them out here on oak logs (I think). I've seen a couple of workshops offered in the area to teach people how to do it. The workshops are always full.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

Shiitake mushrooms are grown on red oak logs prepared with holes drilled for inserting small inoculated plugs, that are sealed with wax.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Darrel

Obsidian can be gathered on Modoc National Forest in California.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

ten_mile

I have been growing shiitake mushrooms on oak logs. The logs will produce mushrooms for about 5 years. I'll be starting a new batch this spring. I have also tried growing a few other varieties of mushrooms on logs. I had moderate success with cultivated oyster mushrooms and poor results with the other species I tried. The shiitakes are rather easy.

JBlain

I have been doing Shiitake mushrooms on oak and hard maple bolts for a few years now.  Just for fun.  The oldest daughter loves helping.  I cut a few hundred bolts and we usually have a big day with food and friends and everyone helps and takes some home.  I also supply a friend who grows them for sale commercially.  All my harvesting concentrates on thinning from below and removing the junk.  The junk grows great mushrooms.  We grow oysters on wheat straw in plastic bags with holes in it with success.
Josh

51cub

Another mention for pine straw. Beekeepers burn it in their smokers
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

AfraidChocker

Black spruce branches can be boiled in water and made into a low grade beer

The bark off Eastern Hemlock was once taken off the tree and used to tan hides. (In fact whole trees would be felled, stripped of their bark and the whole tree left to rot in the woods because it was not good for anything else back then).

In my house I have slate that I found while clearing forest back into fields. It too can be sold for profit.
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

AfraidChocker

From white spruce they use to make gum.

From White Spruce they used to extract the gum and then refine it into oil (there was a plant in 1907 in Benton NH)

Hackmatack stumps can be dig up, their main roots used for "knees" in the building of ships.

White birch has been used for eons for a paper substitute

White Birch has been used in the making of canoes by the Indians

Forked birch saplings can be used for boot jacks

As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

ppine

We used to sell Cascara bark to pharmaceutical supply houses when I was in school.
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!