iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stolen chain saw recovery

Started by rooster 58, April 04, 2015, 11:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I arrived at my mill a few minutes late this past Monday.  My guys asked me if I had opened the tool trailer.  I responded in the negative.  We saw where the locks had been cut and we opened the door, discovering that my Stihl 460 had been stolen. Nothing else had been removed.
      I knew that a former employee had stolen it, but didn't hold much hope of recovering it.
     I called the sheriff's dept. to report it though. I explained to the deputy what happened.
     So yesterday morning I got a call from the deputy telling that 3 witnesses placed my saw in the former employee's hands. He had been trying to sell it but everyone knew he couldn't afford a saw like that
        Around 3 in the afternoon yesterday the deputy called me again. They had the employee in custody and they also had recovered my saw. I will eventually have my saw back after law enforcement is finished with the investigation .
      My thanks to the officers who worked diligently to recover my property and also to all of those who risk their lives to serve ;)

4x4American

Great news!  The guy wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Can I post a reply? I don't have a dog in a truck avatar. :D

That is good to hear. It's not often that one gets their stuff back.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Nice ending.  He surely was not wasting any time trying to sell it, but then "smart" was not his strong suit.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 04, 2015, 11:18:36 AM
Can I post a reply? I don't have a dog in a truck avatar. :D

That is good to hear. It's not often that one gets their stuff back.

I'm sorry, Dave, you're going to have to take your reply back, only people with dogs in trucks avatars are allowed here.   :D :D
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

No dog.  Mine has a Woodchuck on the log end, thanks to Jeff.

Sadly I lost my original picture when a previous laptop died.  :-\  It now resides somewhere in Jeff's gallery.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Great to hear you got your saw back. Now you need to prosecute to the full extent and let word get out that you did. I'd make it known that your mad that you couldn't find him before the law was able to. ;D

redprospector

I'm glad that they found your saw, and will be getting it back. I had a saw stolen a couple of years ago. I filed a report with local police, but I think my best chance of getting it back is through Stihl's network.
If you have a good police department be thankful. A member of my family called in for "shots fired" in the condominiums next to their house recently. Response time...5 hours. We feel like we're on our own around here.  :(
When seconds count...the cops are only hours away. At least where I am.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Jeff

My dog is only thinking about driving.  :)

Good for you. I know personally how much it suck to have a chainsaw stolen.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

My 660 still missing since January.  It's only aggravating when I remember it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

I have a dog,but no truck.
Glad to hear you will get it back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Quote from: thecfarm on April 04, 2015, 05:00:15 PM
I have a dog,but no truck.
Glad to hear you will get it back.

I have a truck, but no dog!

That's good news on recovering your saw, I hate a theif!  >:(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

I have a truck and three dogs. ;D

Glad to hear you got back what was yours.

LeeB

I have 5 trucks, three dogs, and a herd of puppies. Don't think I can afford drivers licenses for all of them, nor the insurance. Guess they'll have to keep on padding along on their paws. Also glad to hear you got your stuff back. A thief is bad enough, but for someone you know to do it is even worse.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

shinnlinger

About 2 weeks before I moved from Oregon a guy went in my shop and took about $1000 worth of tools.    As I was on the phone reporting it a police car pulled up out front and an officer asked if I had some tools stolen.   a bicycle officer was on  a bike path and saw a homeless guy with a bunch of power tools and realized it didn't add up.  I was able to get about half of my stuff back because the guy "forgot" where he left some of the stuff.   They then prosecuted the meth addicted homeless guy for the remaining $450 or so I was owed and even got me a judgment against him, but 10 years later I still haven't seen any of it. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sawguy21

I  too am glad you got your saw back. I can see why he is an ex employee, he is not very bright. A former co worker's dad lost a boat and trailer, the following week it showed up on cl complete with a picture of the perp's truck and license plate. Now if that is not STUPID. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

clww

Glad you'll eventually get the saw back. Hopefully, he will get a max sentence from the judge.
"Thou shalt not covet"!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

rooster 58

Thank you for the replies. I will be prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law, including assault; as there was an incident with him which led to his dismissal. I will be conducting background checks from now on with any new hires

clww

Anything new to update us with on this? ???
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

rooster 58

Not much to tell. I received my saw from the deputy about 2 weeks or so after they recovered it. He felt the perpetual would take a plea bargain so I probably won't have to go to court.  I haven't heard anything since I got my saw back

Ribsy

Great news! Wish I would get the same. I had a guy steal 6 chainsaws and a Lewis Winch all within 2 minutes. Got a pic of the back of his head (trail cam) but no bites yet.
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

4x4American

Should have taken a picture of the front of his head  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

hacknchop

They got us two three yrs ago new 357xp brand new electric trolling motor and bunch of other stuff, took me two yrs to replace that saw,police came out checked for prints and all that stuff never got nothing back.I have one truck and 5 beagles and several cats but they are not very photogenic so no pics. :D :D :D
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!