iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sometimes a man just needs to buy lumber.

Started by hackberry jake, April 03, 2015, 03:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmouton

i got customer s  up here in mich  calling me every one in a while looking for black locust,,,  i sure could sell that here  jake,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Jemclimber

I wish I had more black locust. I just made a few Adirondack chairs that look nice.  I also used it for my raised deck.

lt15

hackberry jake

I just found out that the bundles I bought were "locust", not "black locust". There is some honey locust mixed in. What's the best way to distinguish between them?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

I went down and got a couple sample boards. I tried to pick two with a large color variance. Other than color, I don't see a difference. Is that the only way to tell?

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

woodworker9

The top board is honey locust.....I stand corrected.  I went out and checked my plane stash, and it's more like the top board.  I guess I'm color blind on memory.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

hackberry jake

I was thinking the yellow one was the black locust.

woodsteach

I'd say the pinkish one was the Honey Locust.  I've milled a lot of honey locust and it was all pink.  I'd like to get some black locust, but I don't come across any.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Larry

The bottom yellow board is the black locust.  I don't know any other way than color to tell the difference.  As UV acts on the black locust, the color will move a lot closer to the color of honey locust  Maybe @WDH has a suggestion.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mesquite buckeye

If you leave them both out in the weather the honey locust will rot a lot faster. ;D :( 8) :snowball: :-X :-\

The bottom one is the black locust. Seems to me it is a bit heavier too...
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Our Black Locust is yellow like the bottom board. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Both pics are black locust.  The pores in black locust are totally occluded with tyloses.  That is the stuff that makes white oak so good for barrels for bourbon and fine wine.   The tyloses are parenchymna cells that grow through the bordered pits in the cell wall and into the lumens of the pores, plugging them up. 

The earlywood pores of honeylocust are more open, and not totally occluded by tyloses.  In both your pics, the pores are filled solid.  That makes me go with black locust. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Well! I guess the color might have something to do with the age of the log? They don't get many locust logs, but when they do, they put them in the "locust pile". Some of these logs were over two years old. That's gunna make identification even tougher. Thanks WDH!

Coach

The yellow board looks more like the Black Locust I've got.  I was going to suggest the black light method of id'ing, but it seems like Honey Locust reacts the same way.

hackberry jake

It's cherry next. I find buying lumber is easier on your back than sawing it  ;D

YellowHammer

That is nice. 8)
Sometimes I also have to outsource some of my sawing.  Around here it's easy to get the big mills to mow out grade oak and poplar, at a good price, but they won't touch walnut or cherry.  Something about yield, profit margins, etc.  but I'm not really sure.  I've even asked a local mega mill, one where I buy some of my high grade cherry logs, if they will saw them, and they refuse. 
They sell the logs to "somebody" if I don't buy them, but I can't find (yet) who it is or what they do with them. 

So is this mill you are working with a small operation, pallet outfit, or mega mill?  Might help my detective work.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

hackberry jake

Smaller as commercial mills go. Their main bread and butter is railroad ties and grade oak. There are three medium sized mills real close to me.

hackberry jake

I used some of the locust today. Not as nice as Larry's bench, but should last a while.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!