iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sometimes a man just needs to buy lumber.

Started by hackberry jake, April 03, 2015, 03:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I havent been doing much sawing this past year for one reason or another and my lumber pile is dwindling. What I use most of is what I call "utility" lumber. So I went and bought a bundle of "mixed grade" lumber from one of the local mills. It figures up around 900 board feet. About a third of it was cherry and walnut  ;D, and the rest was sycamore, black gum, ash, and two basswood boards.

You guys notice anything strange about this cherry?  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Yup, no good.  You need to throw that back before WDH sees it 'cause da boy just can't handle seeing stuff like that.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Lynn, are you saying Danny won't like that? :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Yup, that's Danny.  (Hey waitaminnit.  I'm gonna see him next month.  He might be trying to stick me with something sharp for comments like this!) :o
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don_Papenburg

I recon his plan is to keep it away from WDH
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on April 03, 2015, 09:47:14 PM
Serendipity.   Serendipity, I say.
In Jake's instance, yes, very much so.   :)

hackberry jake

Some will probably end up as framing material in an upcoming shed. From time to time I get people coming to me wanting cheap lumber for one thing or another. The mills around here sell their "3b" lumber for between $220 to $300. This one was $270. It is normally just used for stringers on pallets. I definately wouldn't want to cut 950bf of lumber for $270.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

I have sawed 950 bf of lumber for much less than that before.  :-X

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on April 03, 2015, 10:52:17 PM
I have sawed 950 bf of lumber for much less than that before.  :-X
from your logs?

Magicman

Oh no.  I rarely saw for myself, and lumber is never for sale.  Within my first year of sawing I found my niche.  I Saws-um and Leaves-um.  ;D

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on April 04, 2015, 08:15:44 AM
Oh no.  I rarely saw for myself, and lumber is never for sale.  Within my first year of sawing I found my niche.  I Saws-um and Leaves-um.  ;D

Me too!  ;)

When I do saw for Me, it's for me, and not for sale.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Wow, if that was the "3b" curly cherry, I can't wait to see the FAS stuff.  It might have slipped in. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on April 04, 2015, 08:16:40 PM
Wow, if that was the "3b" curly cherry, I can't wait to see the FAS stuff.  It might have slipped in.
I think the mills around here have a hard time marketing variety woods like cherry, sassafrass, locust, etc. They can sell all the oak and hickory that comes in but the rest usually ends up in 3b. I dont know how the walnut slipped in there... I'm not gunna ask too many questions though.

hackberry jake

Well, I did it again. This time it was about 1,500 bf of black locust.

Magicman

That is a nice whack of Black Locust.   8)

Larry

A few months ago Kathy came across a cast iron chair frame with all the wood rotted off.  She gave a couple of dollars for it and handed me my marching orders.  Her plan was to put it in her flower garden as a nice place to rest and reflect.

My thought was for a wood that had excellent rot resistance, strong, and would age well with no maintenance.  One of the best for those requirements is black locust.

I slapped a couple of coats of an oil varnish mix on when complete and thought I would just let it go grey.  After she saw it, she liked it so good she elevated its position to the covered deck.

What's interesting is how much it has changed color with exposure to the sun.  It is now a rich reddish color. 

I've done a lot of projects with black locust and really like working with it.  It is also an easy sell if your doing commission work for something outside. 

What kind of plans do you have for it?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

Sticker it in the chicken house for now. I'll be needing to build a small porch on the front of my house pretty soon. The old one is treated pine that is past it's life expectancy. The rest I will likely keep for future "orders" or peddle it on CL.

hackberry jake

Hey Larry, ole buddy ole pal. I just got a couple similar benches. They want them by Christmas. Since you are all practiced up on rebuilding benches...

Larry

I'd jump right on that project, but I don't want to deprive you of all the fun your gonna have. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

My only question was eastern red cedar or locust. Seeing your bench answered that question for ke Larry.

kameljoe21

My neighbor has about 25 pairs of these, they were from some theather seating, i only have a coulple at my place right now, but i have made a few benches from them from time to time, and they came out pretty nice 

Quote from: Larry on September 25, 2015, 08:14:53 PM
A few months ago Kathy came across a cast iron chair frame with all the wood rotted off.  She gave a couple of dollars for it and handed me my marching orders.  Her plan was to put it in her flower garden as a nice place to rest and reflect.

My thought was for a wood that had excellent rot resistance, strong, and would age well with no maintenance.  One of the best for those requirements is black locust.

I slapped a couple of coats of an oil varnish mix on when complete and thought I would just let it go grey.  After she saw it, she liked it so good she elevated its position to the covered deck.

What's interesting is how much it has changed color with exposure to the sun.  It is now a rich reddish color. 

I've done a lot of projects with black locust and really like working with it.  It is also an easy sell if your doing commission work for something outside. 

What kind of plans do you have for it?

mesquite buckeye

That cherry looks turrible. :( :( :(

All wiggly lookin'. Probably will just bend around when it gets dry.

I could probably use it for hog crates or sumpthin' like that.

Not good for much else. :( :( :(

I would be willing to take it off your hands to get it out of the way so you can get some work done. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!