iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I use a burl wood for bracing and/or posts?

Started by esarratt, April 02, 2015, 04:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esarratt

Hi!

Can I use burl wood for bracing or maybe even posts?  Provided the entire piece is boxed heart cut and free of shake and/or rot.

Just a thought.  I have become quite good at getting burls out of people's yards for free and am trying to figure out the many different ways I could use the wood.

I know that crotches should not be used for structural purposes, but I am unaware if the structural quality of burls is compromised by their formation.

My real thinking is to turn some nice solid burl locust and burl maple I have into 3x5 or larger bracing.

Twood look pretty in the living room.

Your thoughts.

Eric

Dave Shepard

I don't think burl is going to be structurally sound enough for timber work.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

I would think burl grain to be most unstable. If graded as lumber, it is actually defect.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

esarratt

Quote from: Jeff on April 02, 2015, 04:58:52 PM
I would think burl grain to be most unstable. If graded as lumber, it is actually defect.

Ahhhh.  Good point.

I had a thought.  What about just doubling the bracing (provided it looks "right")?  I could use a knee in the corner, of appropriate size, then put a non-essential burl 3x5 brace a bit further out from it.

Hmmm.  Maybe something to try on a workshop first to see how it fits.

I noticed in one of Sobon's books that he used a crotch in his home.  From the other posts in its vicinity it is obviously non-essential for load bearing purpose.

Just gotta make it look right so it isn't garish....

Biocmp

Why not sell the burlwood and buy a whole whack of logs that'll make any stick you need?

woodworker9

If you want your bracing/posts to look like burlwood, I would suggest using it as a veneer over a structurally sound brace or post....for aesthetic use only.  It would not be considered structural due to the very nature of a burl.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

timberwrestler

www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

mrbrb

Thank You Sponsors!