iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Landowner in East Texas Considering Timber Harvest - Where to Start?

Started by seadoons, April 02, 2015, 11:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadoons

Hello!  I'm a first time poster on this forum.  We have ~75 acres of land in the Henderson, TX area that has been in our family for over 40 years.  I believe about 30 years ago there was a timber harvest and then some replanting was done right after that (not sure if i'm using the right terms).  This land today doesn't see much use and we are considering harvesting the timber off of it.

So - where do I start?  I don't even know who to call to get a fair estimate of what kind of money a harvest on that property would bring in.

Is this the right time to do it?  I'm sure timber values fluctuate just like oil.

Any help you can provide is appreciated!!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

You will likely get good advice coming from several members, but expect them to suggest contacting an area or local Forester to work with you in the process of harvesting your timber for the best plan that you have in mind, and for the most return.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Start by contacting a professional forester with your local Conservation District, Texas DNR, Extension Service, or a local private consulting forester serving your area. Forum member Texas Ranger should be along soon and is well familiar with Forestry Management Services in Texas. He can provide some good guidance for you.
~Ron

seadoons

thanks folks.  I honestly don't even know where to start.  What is "Texas DNR?"  Any tips on choosing a private consulting forester and where I could find contact info for people in that field?

I'll wait for "Texas Ranger" to chime in as well.

beenthere

Texas DNR  ( Dept. of Natural Resources) may be Texas Forest Service.  May have a different title as it can vary from state to state.
Google state and/or district foresters for TX. See if you get any hits around your area.

Here is one...
http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/default.aspx

and maybe another
http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/main/popup.aspx?id=15332

Will give TR a shout @Texas Ranger
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

Well, thanks, guys, for  your confidence in me, it may be a mite misguided, but I will give it a try.

Start here with the Texas Forest Service http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=17000

Search the site for the Professional Management Referral List, click on it, and you will find a PDF searchable file for consultants in the area, I note only one in Henderson.  There are many in the area around Henderson.  It is important that you are comfortable with the consultant, and he explains A LOT up front.  We are all different to a certain extent, but generally they will talk with you and lay out services and prices.

I would be proud to help, but it will be cheaper for a consultant up there to help you. 

First step is to get a handle on what you have, usually a cruise of the timber, followed by a written plan on what to do to go forward.  He may or may not recommend a harvest or other management activities  prior to a harvest.

Meanwhile, join a local forest landowners organization.  Forest Service can point  you to one.  Look to the local Soil and Water Conservation district and sign  your land up.  If you currently have a tax exemption you may already be signed up, but, membership says your in business to grow timber.

I will be happy to address any questions you have,but you should start by reading up on the Texas Forest Service information, talk to Ron Hufford at the Texas Forestry Association about joining them.  They are the biggest land owner group and cover East Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Straightgrain

Welcome!

Use the legitimate logging and tax professionals for all or at least part of the project; (I hope this makes sense....perhaps a non non sequitur? ;D) the amount of money you stand to loose from making mistakes is arguably close to the amount of money you would pay the professionals to do the job(s) for you.

From start to finish, and everything in between is handled by most professionals like a well-oil machine because...well frankly, their operating costs, the calendar, the local, state, & federal government(s), and the timber industry demand it.

A lot of what the professionals are required to do, are enforced by what would be a "yellow-light traffic citation" (meaning they can be punished before something happens).

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

thecfarm

seadoons,welcome to the forum. My advice is take your time,learn,read all that you can.It's fun to plan what to do with your wood lot!! You may want to attract a certain widlife,maybe some trails to walk-ride on. Enjoy your woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

The very first thing that you need to do, the very first thing, is to examine your goals and objectives and be clear in your own mind what you are trying to achieve.  Do you just want to clearcut for the most money and vamoose, leaving the property to fend for itself?  Do you want to keep the property in the family and grow another crop after this harvest?  Do you use the property for hunting or recreation?  Are you planning to sell the property after the harvest?

If I were helping you, the very first thing that I would need to know is "what are your goals?"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

OntarioAl

Al Raman

Southside

Welcome to the Forum, lots and lots of excellent resources here.

Excellent advice.  One thing to be aware of when hiring a forester is to know who they work for and who they represent.  Not in any way putting down any forester here, but some foresters work in a procurement capacity for a log buyer or mill, their job is to get the best wood at the best price for that mill or buyer and may look at your project differently than one who is representing your interest.  Just need to be clear on who they are working for and what you want to do, what your goals are and how you want to get there.  I would use the analogy that its like taking advice from an attorney but I really can't bring myself to insult a forester in that manner.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Everyone on here has given you great advice. Figuring what you want to do before and after the cut is probably the biggest decision. Im unfortunately beginning to view "SOME"  foresters as lower forms of life than lawyers, be very careful who you deal with. My last landowner got a rude shock after watching every tree come out, loaded, the whole deal and got a little better than half the claimed volume by the forester. Didnt help that oak went in the toilet either. If it sounds to good to be true think 2x.  :D

Texas Ranger

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 03, 2015, 11:53:24 AM
Im unfortunately beginning to view foresters as lower forms of life than lawyers,

Apparently, just above loggers.  Recommended foresters off the TFS list have been vetted, they work for themselves.  Beware the logger that shows up unannounced with a hand full of cash. 

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Straightgrain

Addendum on the importance of planning,

One of the primary reason planning your woodlot program is so important is the way wood is usually accepted at the mills. The best example I can add is how logs are currently paid-for. I have been told that landowners used to be offered what was called "Camp-Run" prices for an order; one basic price for all logs.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but most Oregon mills pay by a Matrix system where each and every type of log is classified by species, evaluated for quality, and paid-for separately.

If you are paying your logger or logging firm by the amount of board foot the mill accepts, (say $250/1K B/F), and you harvest logs (perhaps White Fir) that pay the same amount, you are adding nothing to your net income.

However, harvesting lower-value logs may serve you well as getting light onto your lower story, they can serve as bunk-logs on the trucks, or for firewood...

Let us know how it's working.

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Texas Ranger on April 03, 2015, 02:37:58 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 03, 2015, 11:53:24 AM
Im unfortunately beginning to view foresters as lower forms of life than lawyers,

Apparently, just above loggers.  Recommended foresters off the TFS list have been vetted, they work for themselves.  Beware the logger that shows up unannounced with a hand full of cash.

I dont want to stir it up, maybe things are better down your way but around here everyone is in some elses pocket. Crooked foresters out number shady loggers 5 to 1 around here. I just dont want someone taking the forester's word as the gospel and hanging the logger when the volume doesnt work out.  :D   

Texas Ranger

John Mc

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 03, 2015, 08:38:26 PM
I dont want to stir it up, maybe things are better down your way but around here everyone is in some elses pocket. Crooked foresters out number shady loggers 5 to 1 around here. I just dont want someone taking the forester's word as the gospel and hanging the logger when the volume doesnt work out.  :D

In my experience, the percentage of jerks and con-men is about the same in any profession. If you are looking to hire a contractor for anything important to you, it pays to check on their work (and to keep in mind that almost everyone has a buddy who will tell you that he's "the greatest"). 

If you are not experienced in the area of forestry/logging, it really pays to check out some of the forest landowner organizations in your area. You'll find people who have been through what you are doing (some of them many times) and can help steer you in the right direction and tell you what to look for. 

In some cases, the government officials (county foresters) have top be careful about recommending a specific forester or logger. They can give you a list of people in your area, but sometimes all that list means is that someone asked to be put on it, or someone is registered or licensed in that profession. As soon as they start recommending specific people, they open themselves up to charges of favoritism or steering all the business to their friends. Don't get me wrong - the county foresters I've met around here are all good, knowledgeable people. It's just that sometimes they are limited in what they can say on some subjects without causing themselves a raft of trouble
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Texas Ranger

pine

That is why individuals should establish long term relationships with the gov't types, county state foresters, so that they are willing to talk to you in what are basically off the record conversations and then you can get the real straight answers because they know you and they know when you say something is non-attributable it is a private conversation that goes no further.  You can then find out who to stay away from in the business.

Of course that does the OP no good because they have just decided to log their property without a previous long term plan as to what their goals have been or are for the future. 

Earlier it was said and quite correctly so.  Establish your goals and objectives, once those are clearly defined and not some vague changing possibilities; then it is much easier to find the right path forward.

There are many good reasons why land owners should be stewards of the land they own and work toward those goals while managing their properties with appropriate silvicultural prescriptions over many years.  Managing a forest or a timber plot is not really any different (except in the actual methods and timeframe involved) than the farmer who goes out and plants a crop each year for harvest.  Some don't like the term, but "Farm the Forest" comes to mind.

Thank You Sponsors!