iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying reclaimed heart pine

Started by hendrix1226, April 02, 2015, 08:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hendrix1226

Is it necessary to dry 150-200 year old heart pine?  I salvaged I from my great great grandfathers home in south Carolina and I have planed the tops and bottoms flat to remove all the twist.  I left the edges rough sawn for the look.

It is all true 2x4 and 2x6 and I plan on building a few table tops for myself and my dad for sentimental reasons.  So my question is that now that I have it planed to about 1.5" thickness do I need to worry about it warping?  Should I dry it?  I don't mind if the tops aren't exactly perfect but I want them to look good and last.  By the way I live in Florida where the humidity is crazy.

Any help would be appreciated

beenthere

Likely any change in moisture content (higher or lower relative humidity) will cause the wood you flattened by planing to twist some more (or less).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

Welcome to the Forum. No, you do not need to dry your wood. If your home in Florida is air conditioned, then nothing is going to happen. If you put your tables some place that isn't air conditioned, they are going to pick up a little moisture but I don't believe there will be enough to cause any warp.

whiskers

welcome, sounds like an interesting project. we like pictures if you'd care to share your project.
many irons in the fire.........

WDH

I just dried some that came from an old hay barn.  Moisture content was 20%.  Customer wanted to build a bed, and if that had not been dried to less than 10%, there would have been issues.  I would surely check the moisture content before I used it.  You are probably OK, but is better to know. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

welcome to the forum
i agree with den about your climate with ac ,i also agree with wdh on finding what the current m.c. in the wood .
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Yeah, if it came from a house and not a barn floor with damp, musty, old hay laying on it, you are surely in better shape. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Oftentimes it is best to heat this wood to over 133 F to assure that any insects and their eggs are killed.  Once sterilized, do not let the wood close to unsterilized wood.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, hendrix1226.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!