iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Disposal by burning - limitations?

Started by kwendt, April 01, 2015, 08:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwendt

What sorts of trees or woody plants are best disposed of by burning? Where is a good place to burn things... Just drag it all to a clearing? Drag it all to a field? (I know one needs a burn permit.... )

I can chip some things. I can hugel mound/create coverts with the non-diseased wood...my goal here is to use either wood for Firewood, wildlife, mulch/hugel mounds or use the ashes to help bring up the field pH for cropping. Use and reuse it all properly. But what about the following? How best to deal with these?

Diseased pruned wood
Insect infested wood- including lumber or wood removed from dwellings?
What about old treated wood?
Burdocks, vines, or other invasive plants, trees?

87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Chuck White

I would suggest that any species that you don't want to reproduce, should be burned.

My choice for a burn location would be a large pit and if possible, accessible on one side for a tractor w/loader!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I always have a burn pile going here. I mow around mine to keep the grass down. Most times I only burn when there is snow on the ground. But I might get a chance to do it in the summer months. I have mine in what is a field now. I've had one there for 10 years now. All four of the things you listed at the bottom of your post get thrown into the burn pile. Squash,pumpkins vines and any woody plants,like peppers,sunflowers stalks,get the burn treatment too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Just be careful no poison ivy/oak gets thrown in the pile.

Southside

What sandhills said for sure.  Otherwise DHS will come visit you in black SUV's and moon suits when they get a report of chemical weapons being deployed downwind.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kwendt

Quote from: Chuck White on April 01, 2015, 09:28:32 AM
I would suggest that any species that you don't want to reproduce, should be burned.

My choice for a burn location would be a large pit and if possible, accessible on one side for a tractor w/loader!

lol... that would include some of my cousins.... just sayin!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

kwendt

Quote from: Southside logger on April 01, 2015, 12:01:07 PM
What sandhills said for sure.  Otherwise DHS will come visit you in black SUV's and moon suits when they get a report of chemical weapons being deployed downwind.

LOL!!! Yeah, I know better than that. I don't think I've got Poison Ivy this far north... sumac maybe. But yeah, that oily smoke stuff will go everywhere.... like into your eyes. NOT a good option.

Holmes

I burned in one spot on an old lawn for one burn season.  Nothing grew in the high temp burn area for 2 years.  I assumed I had cooked all the nutrients  and organic matter from the ground.  Sterile ground? I guess.
Think like a farmer.

Southside

kwendt - its there, and further north.  It won't look like the saw logs it grows into down this way, but it is there. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

kwendt

Quote from: Southside logger on April 01, 2015, 10:00:26 PM
kwendt - its there, and further north.  It won't look like the saw logs it grows into down this way, but it is there.
Ya, Southside... True, It must be there, Maine isn't Alaska... But I don't ever remember running across it in the woods, ever.  And I was a woods rat, as the saying goes. I must be either dumb lucky, or not allergic, or it wasn't there. But then we never worried about ticks either... Now we do.

Hey S Donk, do you have P Ivy over by you?

thecfarm

On my land poison ivy does not grow in the woods,just on the edge of it. I mean in the deep woods. I don't think I have any in the woods.I have some that grows about 200 feet into the woods on the edge of my field.I have never seen it climb a tree as a vine. Seem to like an over grown place,like a stone wall,with bushes. I think it really needs sun light to grow. I have been spraying that stuff for years. I had it around one stonewall and I got rid of it. But that was keep the ground bare for 4 years. If I saw something green,I was killing it. Stone wall was hauled off and the poison ivy is gone,I hope. I have a hard time killing it on the edge of the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Along a river-bank is probably the most likely place to find Poison Ivy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Chuck - I have found its most likely to be growing up the tree I just leaned against or grabbed a hold of.  It definitely prefers partial sun like Cfarm said.  I will have to get a photo of real PI for y'all.  Not uncommon to see the main stem 4" in diameter not including the hair, then the branching will be 15' in either direction 40' up in the tree, it's like it was fed steroids. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

kwendt

Quote from: Southside logger on April 02, 2015, 08:26:27 AM
Chuck - I have found its most likely to be growing up the tree I just leaned against or grabbed a hold of.  It definitely prefers partial sun like Cfarm said.  I will have to get a photo of real PI for y'all.  Not uncommon to see the main stem 4" in diameter not including the hair, then the branching will be 15' in either direction 40' up in the tree, it's like it was fed steroids.

:o :o :o :o

kwendt

Quote from: thecfarm on April 02, 2015, 07:23:52 AM
On my land poison ivy does not grow in the woods,just on the edge of it. Seem to like an over grown place,like a stone wall,with bushes. I think it really needs sun light to grow. I have been spraying that stuff for years. I had it around one stonewall and I got rid of it. But that was keep the ground bare for 4 years. If I saw something green,I was killing it. Stone wall was hauled off and the poison ivy is gone,I hope. I have a hard time killing it on the edge of the woods.

Oh no... part of my south boundary line... about 1,750' of it... is stone wall... with trees growing up in it. I wanted to clear that... yikes. Thanks, cfarm!  :'(

repmma

Ash has liming properties plus nutrients for the soil, not a bad idea to spread it thru your garden/field.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

kwendt

Quote from: repmma on April 02, 2015, 04:14:25 PM
Ash has liming properties plus nutrients for the soil, not a bad idea to spread it thru your garden/field.

Yes, that's what I thought... unless there are some bad nasties that would survive the burn... biochar is an excellent carbon sequestering thing... not as good as true hugelmounds, but the liming action would help my front fields. Saves me the expense of buying lime... sounds like a good plan...

JohnG28

Quote from: Southside logger on April 02, 2015, 08:26:27 AM

It's pretty close to that around here too. Not quite so thick, 1-1.5" at the stem and right up the tree. Did some big oaks a couple summers back with it half way up the tree. I guess I'm not allergic to it!  :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SwampDonkey

We do have poison ivy up here, but it's rare and not vine like. I have not run into it. Only thing along that line you hit once in awhile is stinging nettles around wet places. Not as bad, but it will numb you for a couple days. ;D

I have a pile that I burn in the spring before snow is all melted and before it gets dry. Spring time tends to be real dry up in these parts late April-June. Softwood bows burn like kerosene.  I burn all junk brush and wood I wouldn't burn for heat. Like softwood and aspen. Recyclable you know. They call it the carbon cycle. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!