iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

B.A.S.S tournament marshal

Started by doctorb, March 31, 2015, 03:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Next week, I travel to Lake Guntersville in Alabama to take part in (sorta) the B.A.S S. Elite tournament to be held there.  This "Elite" series is the top level of professional bass fishing.  I will be a marshal, whose job it is to accompany a pro angler on the water throughout the day and make sure he stays within the rules.  While these tournaments go on rain or shine, excluding a real ugly weather day, I think it will be quite interesting to see these guys at work.  I might learn a bunch.  At this time of year, the catchin' should be pretty good too!  Will give a report upon return if any have interest.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

Here's how it goes.....

1.  You have to be a member of B.A.S.S.  Basically you get a subscription to the monthly magazine with articles related to bass fishing.

2.  In the fall, there is a date when the applications for becoming a marshal are open.  You select which Elite tournament(s) you wish to attend.  I was put on the waiting list for 4 tournaments, and eventually was admitted to be a marshal in all 4.  I have already dropped one, and may have to drop a second due to summertime conflicts.

3.  Each tournament costs you a $125 fee.  You also provide your own transportation and housing.  This ain't no giveaway!

All the details can be found at the Bassmasters web site.

Still think it might be pretty cool.  One of the tournaments I have accepted is to be held on the St. Lawrence River, fairly close to my cabin in Ontario.  The other is to be held in the Upper Chesapeake Bay, which is acceptably close to where I live.  Jeff, I had you in mind for the one I already had to regret.  It was scheduled for late August at Lake St. Clair, just outside of Detroit.  I thought that I would plan a couple of days marshaling at the tournament and then come over and see you.  Unfortunately, plans with the family have forced me cancel that one.  I am going to miss the smallmouth bass fishing there, and miss seeing you then, too.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is cool Doc. I'm a member but was afraid I would get picked if I applied.  :D
You'll have fun I know....takes a few pics.   fishin-smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pabst79

Sounds fun! If the angler you get paired with does well, does that mean you will be on T.V?  sail_smiley
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pabst79 on March 31, 2015, 06:58:38 PM
Sounds fun! If the angler you get paired with does well, does that mean you will be on T.V?  sail_smiley

It is possible to see DOC on the tube.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

doctorb

Not likley.  First, you have to get picked for the last 2 days of the tournament, and thats a lottery system.  They pair down the number of fisherman that continue on in the contest after 2 days and then again after the 3rd day.

Second, the cameras are rolling for those few fishermen that make the last 2 days of the tournament.  So you have to be lucky enough to continue observing late into the contest.

Third, they don't give a darn about the marshals with regards to TV.  It's about fish, who's catching them, and what sponsor benefits from what he's using to do so.  So, even if I'm with the winner on the final day, you'll never see the marshal.  Probably a good thing.

Warped

Hey Doc, when and exactly where is the tourney on the St. Lawrence? Spend a fair amount of time in the Thousand Islands.
Sidenote....one time My buddy's motel was full so I set my fifth wheel up at the motel for Marty Stone. Thought he left the tour but appears he's back at it, seemed like a real nice guy.
     They don't come to Oneida Lake anymore....

They won't even talk about fishing to the locals until after a certain day, guess they can get into trouble.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

thecfarm

Something that you enjoy,lucky you. Looking forward to a full report next week. Watch out that you don't get attacked by a bowl of grits. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

St. Lawrence River

Waddington, NY

July 30- Aug 2

Jeff

So, blowing off the pigroast AGAIN?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

The end of August is entirely different than the first Saturday in August.  I am not yet ready to declare myself as attending, but I am certainly not ready to to send my regrets.  Working on it!!

timberking

A friend of mine has been a marshall for a couple of tourneys.  He enjoyed the experience.

doctorb

DonT

When you are in a tournament that is being held on an international border are you allowed to fish both sides? May be spending a couple of weeks on the St Lawrence doing tree clearance work on the navigational lights from Cornwall to Kingston.

doctorb

DonT-

I did not know the answer to your question, so I posed it to Alton Jones, a friend of mine who fishes the Elite Bassmasters tour.  In a text he said that, yes, they can fish either side of the boundary.  I imagine they need fishing licenses for both jurisdictions.

DonT

The St Lawrence is an amazing waterway with so much history.I am sure you will enjoy yourself,plus blasting up and down the river at outrageous speeds probably will be a little entertaining as well.We work a fair amount on the river and many of the lakes like Charleston and portions of the Rideau system.Never a bad day when your working around water.   DonT

fishpharmer

Doc, congrats on becoming the new Marshal in town.  Sounds like it will be a fun experience. 

Concerning the border waters, I would speculate that there is some sort of reciprical license agreement.  Not sure about national border waters but, many states have reciprical license agreements.   Allowing for instance a Mississippi resident to fish both the Louisiana and MS side of the Mississippi River. 

Edit: Apparently there is no reciprical agreement...
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6091.html
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

doctorb

Just got back and I can tell you it was a great experience.  Learned quite a bit from the anglers, who were very gracious with their knowledge.  I thought sitting in a boat watching somebody else fish for 8-9 hours might be potentially tedious, boring, and frustrating.  It was none of those things.  Sure, there are spans of time when they are not catching 'em, but those times are filled with their thought process being verbalized.  And that's what I liked best.  I began to see how they think in certain situations, and that's what sets them apart from the rest of us mortal bass fishermen.  They have greater experience, so they have gained better patience and persistence.   By the way, they all have absolutely superb, refined methods of bait presentation, which in itself was an education.  I will definitely do this again.  Also, my thanks to the nice people of Guntersville Alabama for their hospitality.  Great fishery in a great community.

fishpharmer

Great to hear you had a good experience. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Den Socling

That's great! Glad you enjoyed the time.  :)

Magicman

Congrats on the nice experience Doc.  It had to be a fun filled time.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

A great opportunity and time well spent with professionals in the sport. 
~Ron

gspren

Can you say who you fished with, or watched fish?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Den Socling

I live along a great bass creek but I'm not a fisherman. I did cast a worm one time - just once - and caught a small mouth. I put it back and thought "that was just weird"! Anyway, Doc, can't you offer any tips or is that proprietary information? 

Thank You Sponsors!