iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Customer tells me I should be on Pawn Stars

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 30, 2015, 08:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A guy drives in with a small whack of Walnut. He 's asking $400.00 for the load.  :o
Short story long......when he left, all he had was a 100 dollar bill and a half load of firewood.
He laughs and say's,  dude......You need to be on Pawn Stars.  :D :D :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ozarkgem

I think you did OK on that deal. How much is Walnut on the stump back there? Last I heard here it was around 4 bucks. Veneer logs bringing more.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

4x4American

Nice setup you have there.  Looks nice, warm, and dry!

Boy, back in my day..

Ocklawahaboy

I think at that point I'd have just asked you how much to mill them for me.  He could have used the slabs for his firewood and left with the lumber. 

Once again, I'm jealous of you all with easy access to walnut.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ozarkgem on March 30, 2015, 09:09:12 PM
I think you did OK on that deal. How much is Walnut on the stump back there? 

We don't have enough Walnut around here to log. When you have a chance to get Walnut logs, one has to wheel and deal.

Magicman

He is probably still giggling about sticking it to you.  (old saying)   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on March 30, 2015, 09:27:22 PM

Once again, I'm jealous of you all with easy access to walnut.

I can assure you, there is no easy access to Walnut around here. The stuff is hard to get. I can sell green Walnut lumber for $3.00....and slabs with live edge......well here we go.....$300.00! :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 30, 2015, 09:28:08 PM
He is probably still giggling about sticking it to you.  (old saying)   :D

I never thought about the reverse angle......Good 1 Lynn.  :D :D :D :D :D :D
I said it last night and I'll say it agin tonight.....Yous on a roll!  :D :D :D :D

Ocklawahaboy

If I want a walnut log, I would have to leave the state.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on March 30, 2015, 10:35:10 PM
If I want a walnut log, I would have to leave the state.
I have walnut all over the place. I mow them down in the spring. The squirrels bury the nuts and they sprout. Good squirrels.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

fishfighter

There is little to none in my neck of the woods. I might plant some black just for the heck of it.

WDH

Hard to get here, too.  Check out walnut prices on the Internet.  The cheapest walnut that you can buy in Georgia that I know of is $8.00/bf, but that is kiln dried and planed to 15/16". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

@POSTONLT40HD   I guess that's better than your help informing you that you will be on the next episode of COPS.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on March 31, 2015, 07:41:10 AM
Hard to get here, too.  Check out walnut prices on the Internet.  The cheapest walnut that you can buy in Georgia that I know of is $8.00/bf, but that is kiln dried and planed to 15/16".

Same price per b/f up here, but for 8/4 stuff and rough and we have none in our woods at all. I'm not sure if I can buy it at all at the moment, the local place folded 2 years ago. It was coming from Ohio.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Left Coast Chris

It should probably be a new reality TV show called "Down South Dickering".   Just give everybody a knick name and find one or two more characters (since you definitely have one already)  :) :)   

Liked Down East Dickering with Codfish, Wimpy or who ever else they had on there.  Pretty true to life for those guys.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

thecfarm

And that show has not been renewed. I only watched it twice. Not a big TV person.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

taylorsmissbeehaven

A goat walks into a pawn shop..... sounds like the start of a good joke. Congrats on the nice score, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on March 31, 2015, 09:00:32 AM
@POSTONLT40HD   I guess that's better than your help informing you that you will be on the next episode of COPS.   :D

Ain't that the truth.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on March 31, 2015, 01:32:03 PM
A goat walks into a pawn shop..... sounds like the start of a good joke. Congrats on the nice score, Brian

:D :D :D :D Thanks Brian.

sawguy21

Here that would be considered highway robbery. Walnut costs us a small fortune.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ocklawahaboy

I'd be tempted to make you an offer on some of those smaller logs but I'd be afraid the school safety patrol would stop me on the way back. 

smiley_inspector

SwampDonkey

I think Poston did the guy a favour and took logs that might probably have been disposed of and got nothing for.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LAZERDAN

Oh by the way, speaking of goats

This goat walks into a bar. Then he sits down and orders a beer. The bartender, amazed that this goat can actually talk, gives him a beer. The goat says, "What do I owe you?" The bartender stops and thinks for a moment. "Even though this goat is smart," thinks the bartender, "he probably hasn't been in many bars." So the bartender says, "That'll be ten dollars." The goat forks over the money and starts drinking his beer. After a few minutes, the bartender can't restrain his curiosity, so he walks back over to the goat and tries to strike up a conversation. "You know, we don't get many goats in this bar." The goat looks up from his beer and says, "Well, at ten bucks a beer, I'm not surprised."                               
                                                                                                              Lazerdan

Magicman

Dat Goat just needs to sell some more $labs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!