iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's good, what's bad?

Started by Peter Drouin, March 30, 2015, 06:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

When you sawyers cut lumber do you leave some or no wane?
What's good enough for the farm?
What's good to sell?
Is one face good or do you have to have two good faces?
I make #1 and some #3 gets in there, I sell #1 all the time. Farmers will buy #3
So what say you all.  :D :D :D

#2&4 get edged.
This is all W Pine.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hackberry jake

Leave number 4 and call it "live edged". It will bring you the most $$$
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

I would use #2 and 3 too. BUT it depends how "thick" the wane is too. Most of my boards are a full inch,so ½ an inch does not bother me to use. To sell,that might be diffeant. As long as someone knew about it and REALLY understood it. I would not want to make a steady habit of doing it either. Like every board.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It depends upon the use, but personally I hate wane. 

Framing lumber gets 3 square corners and the wane extending no more than ½ the board on the thin side and ¼ the board on the wide side.

I normally leave no wane on flat lumber but the kiln guy wanted a clear face with both good corners on the Cypress and Willow that I finished sawing today.  It will be straight lined before T&G.

Many times the customer will pull lumber that I intend to edge saying that it is "good enough".  I am more picky than most customers are.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Most of my customers will not buy a board with wane. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 30, 2015, 08:43:00 PM

Tell them to leave Wane at home.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ozarkgem

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 30, 2015, 08:55:02 PM
Quote from: WDH on March 30, 2015, 08:43:00 PM

Tell them to leave Wane at home.  ;D
Since the only lumber I have sold is Cedar it runs about 50-50. Some want wane some don't. For my own use if one face is clear and the other side doesn't show I will get by with a little wane on mine.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

JB Griffin

On hardwood grade lumber your allowed up to half the length on the board for 1c and lesser, softwood....  ??? ??? ??? .  Its just up to you an your customer.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

tmarch

All of mine is measured to the nearest inch under and charged out at that, they think they got a deal and I don't have to deal with the trim. ;D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on March 30, 2015, 07:26:57 PM
It depends upon the use, but personally I hate wane. 

Framing lumber gets 3 square corners and the wane extending no more than ½ the board on the thin side and ¼ the board on the wide side.

I normally leave no wane on flat lumber but the kiln guy wanted a clear face with both good corners on the Cypress and Willow that I finished sawing today.  It will be straight lined before T&G.

Many times the customer will pull lumber that I intend to edge saying that it is "good enough".  I am more picky than most customers are.

This happen with me and my customers more times than not!

If the customer is not around, and I have a questionable board, I will flip it a couple of times and if it has a good square edge all the way around, I'll put it in the tally, if not it will go over in the free pile!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

wane and I get along okay but I prefer he stay out of my boards.  If its for my personal use wane can hang out all he wants, if its for customer, minimal amount of wane.  Don't want him to overstay his welcome
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on March 30, 2015, 09:28:12 PMIf the customer is not around, and I have a questionable board, I will flip it a couple of times and if it has a good square edge all the way around, I'll put it in the tally, if not it will go over in the free pile!
Yup, I am much more picky when the customer is not there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WoodenHead

Keeping in mind we are talking pine...Number 1 can obviously be sold.  For boards like #2 and 3 I sometimes can use them "as is" for T&G where a bit of wain won't pose a problem with the finished product.  Board #4 I will trim down to the next useable size until I get down to 1 x 4" where it becomes strapping if there is still a bit of wane. 

For boards like #3 I have also used the situation as a means to give the customer a little "extra".  If the board is 12', for example, I'll sell it as a 10' length.  For the amount of time/effort it takes to either trim a single board down a size (length or width), I'm better off simply giving the customer a little extra wood.   

red oaks lumber

i don't expect a customer to buy anything i wouldn't buy :)  and i'm picky
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jim_Wahl

1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

VTwoodworker

If I am cutting framing lumber and siding to sell, I like to square it up and limit the amount of wane.  I sell my rough cut on the very high side of the market for this area.  My prices make up for slightly less yield caused by removing the wane.  This strategy has worked so far as word of mouth and quality has had me turning down some orders because I can't meet the schedule.  I don't do a lot of custom sawing but when I do it seems like the cut list is often optimistic for the logs that they have.  So you have that discussion with the customer about how much wane they will tolerate to get the number of 2x8s or what ever they need.  I do sometimes hedge the bet by separating the questionable ones.  If after inpsection by the customer they end up with too much wane I just put them back on the mill and edge them down to the next size. 

If I had some relatively clear pine like some of your examples, I would also tolerate some additional wane because I would be selling it for woodworking or trim projects where the user would be ripping it anyway.  I hate to edge off 2" of clear wood for half a length of a board.  I have only a small retail market and this probably isn't the best strategy for others.

Wayne Symonds

customsawyer

I like your logic about wane, Wayne. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishfighter

So, all this talk of wane. Is that live edge? I'm new to the game. Bear with me. ;D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: fishfighter on March 31, 2015, 09:31:14 PM
So, all this talk of wane. Is that live edge? I'm new to the game. Bear with me. ;D

Yes, Bark
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishfighter

Thanks, that is what I though. Been cutting it all off.

WDH

And the rounded edge of the tree trunk.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Wane is absence of wood, and can be called live edge.. or bark. But think wane is the correct word. Live edge refers more to a product, not a characteristic. i.e. live edge boards have wane.
And like the others say.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

low_48

Quote from: 4x4American on March 30, 2015, 09:32:28 PM
wane and I get along okay but I prefer he stay out of my boards.  If its for my personal use wane can hang out all he wants, if its for customer, minimal amount of wane.  Don't want him to overstay his welcome

Love the dog behind the wheel photo, kinda reminds me of something!

Thank You Sponsors!