iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So, what do you do with blades that are trashed?

Started by fishfighter, March 30, 2015, 08:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

You know, the ones that you tried to cut back stops with. I now have three. :laugh:

terrifictimbersllc

I can get rid of metal for free at the local town dump  oops transfer station facility.
If I cared to I could sell it to a metal recycler also but that's 25 miles.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

shakebone

Don't get rid of all them !!! hang one where u can see it while sawing the reminder of them $20's might help remember to lower backstops !!! Haha ;D
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

pineywoods

Sometimes they can be fixed if you want to spend the time. I have my own sharpener and setter, fix them if no teeth are actually missing.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

I save them up and when the school kids are doing a fund raiser, they can recycle the blades and get a little $$$$.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wwsjr

I have blade replacement program with WM ReSharp. I ship bad blades back for WM to replace at discounted price and recycle bad blades. This allows me to keep same number of blades on hand.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

redbeard

I like to weave the broken blades in my hog panel fence. The other day a recycle artist asked for some and wanted to make what he called "Dangerous Art" I got a kick out of that and gave him a bunch but only if he promised to send me pics of his work.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

taylorsmissbeehaven

I like the fence R.B.!! I try to find weird things to do with them. Does anyone know if broken bands are replaced by resharp? Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

GAB

When I send blades to ReSharp for remanufacturing I usually send the bad and broken ones also.  I have sent a lot of broken ones back.
I had one customer who wanted one as a decoration and I said only one, here you go.
I had another customer ask for one and again I said only one.  He had it cut into three tooth lengths with the center tooth being the unset tooth.  He then grinds the outer two teeth off and shapes the remaining tooth, or center tooth, to the shape he desires to do inlay.
Apparently there are uses for broken or ruined blades.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Quite a while back I sent a bunch of broken blades to Forestry Forum member @shag , who is a blacksmith artist.

He told me that he makes flower arrangements out of junk saw blades.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

If they break, I toss them on the scrap metal heap, which is withing tossing distance of where my mill is, at the moment. If they are really damaged, and I think ReSharp is going to toss them anyway, I toss them on the scrap heap. If they are only lightly damaged, I put a tag on them that says "Metal strike" and send them back.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Like wwsjr above, all of my blades go back to WM Resharp.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

What does WM resharp do with the broken ones just toss em?
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

They must have a big metal dumpster out back to take them to the scrap yard.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishfighter

Quote from: pineywoods on March 30, 2015, 09:19:47 AM
Sometimes they can be fixed if you want to spend the time. I have my own sharpener and setter, fix them if no teeth are actually missing.

There ain't no way of fixing these. Not even a dentist could put teeth back on. :D

Delawhere Jack

On major metal strikes, where I bill the client for the band, I'll leave it with them if they want it. But I always cut it first. I don't want someone slicing themselves up trying to coil-uncoil a band. Otherwise it goes in the scrap metal pile, waiting for scrap rates to rise.

redprospector

Quote from: fishfighter on March 30, 2015, 06:17:29 PM

There ain't no way of fixing these. Not even a dentist could put teeth back on. :D
There ain't no way!  :D
That's what they told me too, and that's all it took.  :D
When I hit metal that breaks a few teeth I'll spend a little time on it. Where the tooth is broken off, I'll round the corners off with a grinder to where it has nothing to grab the wood to put any stress on the combined gullets. Then I set and sharpen as usual. I set these blades back as "metal blades", for those logs that you just know you're going to find a surprise in. Yep, you've got to slow the feed rate some (depending on the blade), and they'll generally leave a few tooth marks, but it beats cutting into metal you suspected was there with a good blade.
I have a few missing teeth myself, but it doesn't mean I can't still eat a steak. I just have to chew a little longer, and a little different than I used too.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Ludo

I saw a guy at a craft fair make bread slicers out of band saw blades. He made a wooden frame that held the blade about 1" offset to the side and had a handle.  It was pretty slick, that is if you bake your own bread...

fishfighter

Quote from: redprospector on March 30, 2015, 08:14:42 PM
Quote from: fishfighter on March 30, 2015, 06:17:29 PM

There ain't no way!  :D
That's what they told me too, and that's all it took.  :D
When I hit metal that breaks a few teeth I'll spend a little time on it. Where the tooth is broken off, I'll round the corners off with a grinder to where it has nothing to grab the wood to put any stress on the combined gullets. Then I set and sharpen as usual. I set these blades back as "metal blades", for those logs that you just know you're going to find a surprise in. Yep, you've got to slow the feed rate some (depending on the blade), and they'll generally leave a few tooth marks, but it beats cutting into metal you suspected was there with a good blade.
I have a few missing teeth myself, but it doesn't mean I can't still eat a steak. I just have to chew a little longer, and a little different than I used too.  ;D

I might give that a try. Most of the blades are only missing a few teeth. Heck, one was a new blade from the get go.

coalsmok

I made a nice looking dagger out of some old blades and pallet banding.

woodjunky

it makes for good baseboard and crown molding in rustic, manly work buildings. rough sawn and rusty steel trim. :)

Lud

I put some dead blades in a slab I was pouring.  Bet I'm not the first one to do so.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

fishfighter

Quote from: woodjunky on March 31, 2015, 09:01:46 AM
it makes for good baseboard and crown molding in rustic, manly work buildings. rough sawn and rusty steel trim. :)

That could happen. I been cutting timbers to build a camp. It's going to be timber/stick build. A combo of both. I just don't want to trash anymore blades. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!