iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band changing vid...

Started by Brad_bb, March 29, 2015, 02:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

A certain type of screw the metal detector has a hard time picking up.  About every 15th timber has a number of them.  Must have been in a certain location of the factory they came from, somebody kept using these screws.  Even though you wand them, sometimes it takes the band to find the screws. 

https://youtu.be/U-wBbH1boKU
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

The problem may be either your scanning technique or the scanner.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

When you are changing your blade take your saw head to the far end. This way you don't have to work over the log. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Brad_bb

MM, I have two Lumber Wizard 4.0.  Seem to work about the same.  I'm trying to detect from the surface up to two inches down.  There is this one particular type of screw (they are broken off screws) that it seems to have trouble picking up even when you set the screw tip on the surface.  It goes off fine with a nail, but has trouble with the particular type of screw.  We've been using them for months and I feel pretty darn comfortable with their function and how to use them.  Is there another type of detector you'd recommend?

Customsawyer, I left it there because that is where I hit the screw.  I removed the screw, changed the band, and continued sawing from that point.  It was not an inconvenience at all.  We had to remove the cut board up to that point to remove what was left of the screw (not shown in video) before we could continue sawing anyway.

Magicman

Well DanG Brad.  I saw that in your OP and I am trying to make sense of it, as I am sure that you are.  The Wizard is a good detector and two doing the same thing indicates some kind of alloy or the twist in the screws that is faking it off.

I have the Wizard and a Nail Finder that I use, and the Nail Finder is my go-to detector.  The Garrett 250 seldom sees service.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

The 250 is the best one you got. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Yup, I know that, but the Nail Finder is so handy and finds everything.   ;D

dean herring

Brad  been down again pnuemonia this time. Hadn't been on the FF for a while ,felt too bad.
Those screws are not stainless are they
Any more input on lt15 electric?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Brad_bb

No they are not stainless, but may have some kind of galvanized coating?  I'm planning to send some of the pieces to Lumber Wizard for their evaluation.

Dean, I'm not sure what you mean by more input on electric.  I have 18hp gas, and now realize that I should have bought electric.  I may switch over in the future.  I'm sure Woodmizer has tested the electric plenty to assure it performs at least as well as the standard gas motor.

Nail Finder isn't immediately coming up on a google search.  Anyone have a link?

Magicman

Bounty Hunter Handy Man Nail Finder Metal Detector

This is the cheapest source that I found:  LINK

Thank You Sponsors!