iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Master logger certification

Started by ABTS, March 29, 2015, 09:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABTS

I thought I would ask your opinion on this subject . I was talking to one of the inspection people when I was in Hancock Wi. this weekend and he was really wanting me to put in for certification and asked what could be done to gain more participation . It has crossed my mind but at this time there is no real incentive to get it . Its like being a ASE master tech for mechanics nice plac but no reason to get it. I do work in the central Wisconsin area and subcontract regularily to get more work . What are your thoughts?

Autocar

My incentive for getting in the program here in Ohio it is a volentary program. And I felt that it showed a more professional attitude towards the industry. Whats in it for myself just the feeling I am trying to do what is best for the land and the forest , thinking about the next generation of loggers and want to leave timber for the next generation. I was also asked what could be done to get the program to grow here in Northwest Ohio. So I talked to a few sawmills and asked about paying a incentive to loggers that are part of the program. As far as I got was one mill considering paying all the dues that are required. But I went back at them and asked if you drop your price what makes you think the logger will still sell his logs to you rather then sell them up the road for a few dollars more and here your paying all his required dues. I would rather see them raise there price per thousand to a master logger then more guys would jump on board. Dose the program make for a perfect bunch of loggers no way and thats a sorry thing but at this time we don't have answers or at least good answers how to police these matters. Over all I feel it is a good program and we loggers need to be the driving force to make it better. 
Bill

ABTS

That's pretty much what I feel . I'm a ASE certified master tech . I did it more for me than anything else but it would be nice to get alittle something for the extra time and work . To become a master logger . I know some state and even private jobs could be easier to get with the certification.

CX3

I am a master logger in MO. There are only 13 of us. I feel like it's a huge selling  point when buying timber. I also feel like its a responsibility to be the best you can be.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

BargeMonkey

We have whats called TLC Certified in NY. Talks of a "Master logger". We get $5 more per mbft at certain mills, and certain perks shipping to finch, thats about it. Need it to work on the state jobs now.

timbco68

In theory, the concept of being master logger certified is a nice thought.Do quality work and have it mean something to the mill and/or the landowner.However after 29 years of working in the woods,it all really comes down to $$$$.Landowners want a quality job but they want the premium price for their wood.The mills push FSC to look good to the public but they really just want to fill the woodyard.I still like to do a quality job but I finally have come to the conclusion that we are really just delivering a commodity like grain or gasoline.in the end, people are going to fill their tank where the gas is cheapest not worrying about whether it's BP ,Exxon or whatever.In the past 5-6 years, a good portion of the loggers I've seen going out of business northern minnesota are the ones that I would have cut on my land if I weren't a logger.

BargeMonkey

Around here pretty much everyone knows everyone else in the logging game, 99% of the log bandits have starved out. Quality work speaks for itself, but your right it all boils down to the
$$$$  ;). A few classes every couple yrs shouldnt qualify someone to be a "Master Logger", its like telling the fresh faced landowner who just took GOL 1+2 that he is ready to go cut the big stuff in his backyard.

Thank You Sponsors!