iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Progressing with the new mill shed.

Started by WoodenHead, March 28, 2015, 09:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

Bit by bit I've been working away at getting my new saw shed together.  My dad helped with the steel work, but other than that, I've been on my own.  It's been slow progress through the winter, but I finally could move the saw yesterday.  Had to use a good number of buckets of hot water to melt the ice to get the hydraulic hoses free from the ground.   ::)  Today I spent time getting it setup again.

Here are pictures of construction along the way:

The shed is long and narrow.  Present dimensions are 14' x 80'.  I plan on adding a 4' front canopy as time permits to increase to 18' wide.  The openings between steel posts are between 26 and 27'.

I started with the concrete in October of last year just before frost and snow arrived.  I worked through November to get the main structure together (steel and posts/beams).  In December I started to nail the rafters in place.  Through the winter I've been plugging away at the T&G roof. Most of the wood is second class stuff that won't sell so easily.  I'll put shingles on it (to match the other buildings) when the weather is a bit warmer.  I'm glad it is finally taking shape and I can get things organized.   :)

thecfarm

Put the steel on it and the snow won't stay on it. Looks like a good steep roof. I priced both shingles and steel for the Women Cave and I think steel was a little cheaper. And that was with the trim pieces for the steel too. That looks like it will come in handy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I am sure it has been tying to work through the winter. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

WoodenHead

Quote from: thecfarm on March 28, 2015, 09:36:11 PM
Put the steel on it and the snow won't stay on it. Looks like a good step roof. I priced both shingles and steel for the Women Cave and I think steel was a little cheaper. And that was with the trim pieces for the steel too. That looks like it will come in handy.

Steel is my preference, but I already have a pile of left-over shingles.  I'm trying to build this shed very cheap.  So far I have about $1200 into it.  The truss steel, posts and wood are all essentially scraps/left-overs.  I'm trying to conserve cash.

This has not been the most co-operative winter for outdoor work.  We had two feet of snow and well below freezing temps for most of the winter.  Even today was cold with the wind.   ::)

ncsawyer

Are the wooden post along the back of the shed treated in any way? In the pictures it does not look like they are treated posts.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

WoodenHead

Quote from: ncsawyer on March 28, 2015, 09:59:23 PM
Are the wooden post along the back of the shed treated in any way? In the pictures it does not look like they are treated posts.

The posts are not treated.  I will be covering the back (north side with stained board and batten).  All said and done I'll keep the water away.  The posts are mounted on concrete (sonatubes) sticking above the ground.

Geeg

Very Nice job!, been thinking of putting something similar up as well, just wondering if you needed a building permit for that? if so did you have to supply drawings.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

slider

Nice job.Will those post hold up in the ground using those tubes.al
al glenn

rooster 58

Very nice Woodenhead! I have a very similar sawshed. The dimensions are 16x91. I have a 1' overhang on the low side and  about 2' or so on the high side. I have 3 steel beams that span the 91'. The large opening is about 32' for the log infeed. I put a wooden floor in much of it for equipment stability and off bearer safety. Very well done there Woodenhead ;)

Chuck White

Nice sawshed!

I like your idea of adding the 4' cantilever roof along the front, it'll keep some of the sun out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WoodenHead

Thanks for the compliments!   :)

Quote from: Geeg on March 29, 2015, 01:58:08 AM
Very Nice job!, been thinking of putting something similar up as well, just wondering if you needed a building permit for that? if so did you have to supply drawings.

I suspect that in most places you will need a building permit for a building like this.  And you would likely have to submit drawings.  Admittedly this was not built under a permit.  It's a bit of a story, but technically I wouldn't be able to get a permit even if I applied for one.  Ten years ago, just after we had finalized the purchase of the property, we were instructed by our local building authority to submit plans and obtain permits for every possible building we might want on this property, because rules were changing.  If we didn't comply we would lose the privilege of building here entirely.  I had no idea what the future held, so we simply built the house.  After that, well, if you don't want to me apply, then I won't.   ;D

I generally try to meet or exceed requirements.  The important thing is to make sure the building is structurally sound.  Information is available to determine how much the wooden posts and rafters can bear.  I did my calculations for the snow load in the area. 

beenthere

I don't see where you have bracing sufficient to keep the support posts from folding (racking) when the roof is loaded. Maybe you plan to put in cross bracing front to back and maybe incorporate that bracing in with the additional front overhang. But what is shown looks pretty tentative when I look at it (assuming that the post bracing to the ground is not permanent).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WoodenHead

Right you are!  Bracing is still to come.  It's next actually.

Foxtrapper

This is something I have to do yet, but with so many nice sheds on here, it get's difficult to figure out which direction to go in.. ;D
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Geeg

Quote from: WoodenHead on March 29, 2015, 04:51:14 PM
I suspect that in most places you will need a building permit for a building like this.  And you would likely have to submit drawings.  Admittedly this was not built under a permit.  It's a bit of a story, but technically I wouldn't be able to get a permit even if I applied for one.  Ten years ago, just after we had finalized the purchase of the property, we were instructed by our local building authority to submit plans and obtain permits for every possible building we might want on this property, because rules were changing.  If we didn't comply we would lose the privilege of building here entirely.  I had no idea what the future held, so we simply built the house.  After that, well, if you don't want to me apply, then I won't.   ;D

I generally try to meet or exceed requirements.  The important thing is to make sure the building is structurally sound.  Information is available to determine how much the wooden posts and rafters can bear.  I did my calculations for the snow load in the area.

Sounds good to me, just as long as my taxes don't go up  :D
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Thank You Sponsors!