iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heart

Started by gimpy, March 28, 2015, 03:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gimpy

I brought home a few logs to start my milling life. I think I have most of the basics (at least in my head) but I have one question, for now.

I notice looking at the butt that the center or heart of the log is off center. I'd say it's significantly off center to get me the best cuts.

How to I deal with these types of logs? When cutting the can't, do I try to center the heart in the can't or do I just set up with the center of the log and not worry about the heart?

These are lodgepole pine logs.

I need to replace the boards on my flatbed trailer, so this will be my first project making sawdust.

Thanks in advance for my first lesson.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

taylorsmissbeehaven

There are others here that have far more experience than I do and Im sure they will chime in soon. I find that centering the heart will result in better lumber (better behaved while drying) not to say the other parts are unusable. I have not cut lodgepole before but look forward to hearing how it goes, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

gimpy

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on March 28, 2015, 03:25:56 PMI find that centering the heart will result in better lumber (better behaved while drying) not to say the other parts are unusable.

Brian,

That is what I'm guessing I need to do. It just significantly decreases the working diameter of the log. But these are the things I need to learn. Appreciate the help. Will see what others have to teach me also.
Gimpy old man

Percy

If I was cutting trailer decking out of a log, I wouldnt worry about the pith(heart) location...But thats just me...heh....a significantly off center heart usually indicates a hillside tree which means there could be more tension in that log than the head table of a Jewish/Catholic wedding. :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

tmarch

You should center the "pith" for better lumber, but to be honest if you are using rough cut lodgepole pine and can put it on the trailer soon it won't matter much.  Lodgepole pine won't last long anyway, unless it's stored indoors.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

gimpy

Actually these trees come off an almost flat few hundred acres of high desert. I'm not overly concerned with the trailer deck wood but as a general question for future.
Gimpy old man

Ianab

As others have just suggested while I was typing.

For trailer boards, that are going to be bolted down green and dried in place, chances are you don't have too concerned. They can't move too much, and it's pine. So you can probably get away with just sawing for best volume, and letting the pith go where ever it does.

But, with more demanding end uses, you do want to consider the pith.

First thing is that an off centre pith indicates the tree grew off centre. On a lean, or with all it's branches on one side. This means it was under tension and probably contains reaction wood. This can misbehave on the sawn board.

Second, it's best to have the pith centred, both in the cant as you are cutting, and in each board that's sawn. The boards will generally be more stable, or at least only prone to warp in one plane. You also keep the defects of the pith or heart check in as few boards as possible.

But like I said in the beginning. In this application, it's probably not critical that you do this, and it might be better to go for more recovery.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

sawed a few as you described, and have chased a few tails in the process.  Make your drop cuts in the plane of the off center coming down, with continuous flipping of 180° of  the cant when needed to work with the stresses that may come about.  this is after you get your target width on the adjacent sides.  and as already mentioned, work on keeping the heart centered for the target width, 8" is a good number, but the width of the floor  determines it in the end,  then proceed with the drop cuts of the desired board thickness, watching for reaction with each cut.  I've found that taking 1" off while centering to the target numbers helps maintain a better behaved cant, but,,but,,,, well make sure you have enough logs to complete the job to your specs, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

When dealing with off center pith logs, understandably the lumber will not be top quality, but you can minimize the ill effects.

This log has an off center pith, so I rotate it until the pith is at either 3 o'clock or 9 0'clock.  The pith is then ~centered between the top and bottom of the log.  The first face is opened in this position and the log is rotated 90° between the face openings.  The final saw through will be when the pith is the closest to either the top or the bottom of the cant.  The pith will be an equal distance from each side of the cant.  This cant will probably have to be rotated 180° several times during the saw through.

The gotcha is when the pith is closer to one side on one end of the log and another side on the opposite end.  In that case, try to follow the above as best that you can.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Here is another post I made which detailed sawing 2X6's from an off center pith log:  LINK

Handle the same way without splitting the cant during the third face opening.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I would like to see the other end, splitting the pith has been of no issue on this end with pine I've sawn, and it happens when logs have sweep and the longer the bigger the differential on the pith,  otherwise there is so much waste boards it borders on pathetic.  I just do not go this route at all, and never will unless there is a need for short boards.  But,  I am simple minded and have lots to learn I suppose.
I do know timber varies from region to region, so, what works for one may not work for all, everywhere,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I agree David.  Concentrate on one end and forget the other.

One point that I may have failed to make with off center piths, is that after you turn the log so that the pith is close to 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock for the first face opening, forget the pith.  Center the log above the sawmill bed.

You do not want to waste the log/boards as drobertson mentioned in the above post.

Alligator

Quote from: gimpy on March 28, 2015, 03:05:25 PM
I brought home a few logs to start my milling life. I think I have most of the basics (at least in my head) but I have one question, for now.

I notice looking at the butt that the center or heart of the log is off center. I'd say it's significantly off center to get me the best cuts.

How to I deal with these types of logs? When cutting the can't, do I try to center the heart in the can't or do I just set up with the center of the log and not worry about the heart?

These are lodgepole pine logs.

I need to replace the boards on my flatbed trailer, so this will be my first project making sawdust.

Thanks in advance for my first lesson.

Can not = can't    cant = a squared log  :)
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Thank You Sponsors!