iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heat treating firewood

Started by armechanic, March 27, 2015, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armechanic

Hopefully I have this in the correct forum.  I am planning to build a kiln to heat treat so as to conform to USDA specs.  My thought is to build a small metal building with 6" walls and spray close cell insulation.  I plan to buy the computer controls.  Has anyone went this route ?  Any advice do or don't do  ?
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

beenthere

What are the USDA specs that you have to meet?

What will you heat it with?

And what size firewood will you try to heat? 

The reason to heat treat is for shipping?  or for selling dry wood earlier?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

armechanic

I sell bundled firewood for campfires etc.  Because of the bugs it is going to get, that you can't sell or transport firewood if it hasn't been treated.  It has to be heated to 140 degrees internally for 60 minutes and you must document it with a printout from the kiln.  Already in Arkansas you can't take untreated wood onto forest land. I use waste wood from sawmills currently which won't be too hard to treat. I am thinking about a wood water furnace and maybe heat my shop also. I plan to sell Hickory and cherry later on which will be split wood for smokers and BBQ. I have lots of hickory and cherry on my land.

Gearbox

I haven't heard of haveing to heat treat firewood . In MN to be certified you just have to document that it has not been moved more than 50 miles and maybe no ash . I have no idea who enforces it . USDA wood police???? Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

r.man

I expect that this is what will be required to transport firewood everywhere eventually. I have a friend who heat treats pallets and I think before too long he will be doing firewood as well.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

armechanic

Here in Arkansas USDA inspects your kiln and gives a permit, Then you stamp your label on the wood with your permit #.  It is not required to sell wood yet, but is coming and you can't take untreated wood on state parks.  Anyway I am trying to get a jump on the deal by getting a kiln up and running now.

Ford_man

Have you considered a 20 ft shipping container. I have one for storage and in the summer time it gets so hot you cant go in it for only about a min . it's hot in there. that might save you a lot on heating cost.

armechanic

I have a shipping container also and it does get very hot in the summer, but I don't know if it would work in the winter.  I also have a 20' insulated truck box bed, but I don't know if it is insulated enough.  I suppose I could spray more insulation on the outside if I needed too.  What would be the best heater to use ?  I have a Hardy at my house, but the dealer don't think it would get the water hot enough.

John Mc

Make sure your insulation will stand up to the heat - and remember to get the core of the wood up to 140˚ in a reasonable time, the kiln itself will need to be hotter. Some spray-on stuff will not take much heat - remember, a lot of this was designed for residential insulation. I believe some of it will outgas toxic fumes when heated as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!