iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs

Started by Peter Drouin, March 26, 2015, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have an open door so to speak where guys bring logs in and I will buy from them.

Some good, Some short, :D

15' 7" ::)

7' 10"

The 15' will be scaled at 14' and the 7' I don't pay for. :D :D
But most times he dose OK.
I think it's good to have tree serves guys and excavating guys bring logs in. Just a few logs in at a time.
And with the roads posted I can still get wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

They need a new measuring stick.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Some folks just truly do not get it.  Of course I do not buy and I will pretty well saw anything, but it is hourly rate when anything less than 8' goes on the sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Get'em any way you can Peter. Theres a market for 'em all.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 26, 2015, 09:55:04 PM
Get'em any way you can Peter. Theres a market for 'em all.  :)

Getting the logs from them is not the main thing, Them telling I'm here to the public is the goal. ;D

I get logs this way.

;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

red oaks lumber

wow, your snow melted fast and the dust came early ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ron Wenrich

I scaled logs for a large mill, and scaled all the incoming logs.  I had one guy bring in a whole trailerload of logs that were cut 15' 11".  Paid for 14' logs with an explanation of why.  Told him to look at his measuring pole.  A lot of guys use an 8' stick.  Eventually, they start nicking the end with their saw, and it becomes short.  Never had a problem after that.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Shepard

Peter, you just had to rub it in, didn't you? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rougespear

What is the common length of over buck on a log?  By that I mean if I want 14's (or at least to get paid for 14's) how much extra length you to guys commonly buck them at?  Is 14' 2" enough to handle the eventual checking on both ends?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Dave Shepard

5" or 6" is the norm around here. On 16' and longer I like a little more, 8" or 10", so I can cut boards down if I need to.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Wenrich

For hardwoods, the typical trim allowance is 2" on a well bucked log.  I may allow a little under that, depending on the quality of the log.  For ties, we need 8" since the finished tie gets trimmed to 8'6".  So, if you brought in a log under 8'6", it's not going to be tie quality. 

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 27, 2015, 09:49:37 AM
Peter, you just had to rub it in, didn't you? :D

What rub, Just tell everyone you see you want logs and wave a pile of cash around.
You will have guys coming from all over. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Rougespear on March 27, 2015, 11:09:46 AM
What is the common length of over buck on a log?  By that I mean if I want 14's (or at least to get paid for 14's) how much extra length you to guys commonly buck them at?  Is 14' 2" enough to handle the eventual checking on both ends?

I like 6", No more or less. I want to just look at a log and know what it is from across the yard. I don't want to have to trim the logs and have buttons all over. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I like to see them 6"-8" over.  That way if the log has been skidded and the end is dirty, I can have the customer to knock an inch off.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

6" of trim is what I like.
Boy, back in my day..

hacknchop

I agree with the 6" or more for trim and have always paid for what I get if I wasnt going to saw it up then I simply suggested the logger or whoever brought the logs into my yard had a month to come and get it or it went on the slab pile.I would saw anything over 6'but under  8'into 6"fence boards.
Often wrong never indoubt

Peter Drouin

Quote from: hacknchop on March 27, 2015, 11:49:40 PM
I agree with the 6" or more for trim and have always paid for what I get if I wasnt going to saw it up then I simply suggested the logger or whoever brought the logs into my yard had a month to come and get it or it went on the slab pile.I would saw anything over 6'but under  8'into 6"fence boards.

With all the short stuff I cut in to 4x4 for blocking.
How often when you load a trailer with the customers lumber and watch your 4x4 or 2x4 go and never be seen again. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ron Wenrich

I know of a couple of mills that charge for those extra pieces of blocking.

Rougespear

I like the idea of cutting shorts into 4x4 blocking... it always finds a use.  I just made up a level pad with some 6x6 yellow/ponderosa pine and those things are HEAVY.  I'd rather have had to stack a couple 4x's on top of each other instead.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts re: bucking length.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

thecfarm

When I sold logs to a sawmill,6 inches was required.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Larry

You guys are all on the sawmill side.  Ask the logger and I bet most like 2" of trim.  Never give an inch.  (old saying)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

Sometimes Larry, the cut is 6" and goes to 2" trim. Way out of square.  :D :D :D :D  / 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Larry on March 28, 2015, 06:56:08 PM
You guys are all on the sawmill side.  Ask the logger and I bet most like 2" of trim.  Never give an inch.  (old saying)

Rarely would that make a difference. You aren't going to gain another 2' of log, (or 1' in hardwood) by saving four inches.

thecfarm

A spec sheet from a mill is kinda like a manual on a piece of equipment. Both can save you money,IF you read them and do what it says.  ;)

barbender

4" on bolts (8'), 6" on logs is typical here.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!