iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finally broke down.

Started by hackberry jake, March 25, 2015, 04:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have went through three hand-me-down 028 supers. I figured it was time I actually bought a saw. Stihl 362 CM with a 20" bar.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

I've run a lot of 028s. FarmBoss, WoodBoss and Super. They were a great saw in their day, but that 362 will certainly be a step forward. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

DanG that's nice. I want one.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CCC4

They are good saws for sure! I put a lot of miles on one when they first came out...really nice weight to them. They hold there own as a falling saw also! Congrats!

Straightgrain

Score!

You will be satisfied; but take it in to have the control module checked before the warranty runs-out....just to make sure.

Some people have said that saw-powder is getting past the air filters but I haven't had that problem as long as I have kept my chain sharp. Others have said there isn't enough bar oil coming out; even though the screw is fully opened/turned.

The local dealer where I bought my saw recently offered me a chance to try and 28" skip chain; supposed to help keep the RPMs up when cutting/beaver-tailing but still removing a lot of material and it works great.

Nice having a new saw eh?
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Maine logger88

Nice that should be a nice upgrade nothing better than a new saw to bad they don't stay that way for long
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Cycledude

Because of your post I just did some reading about the stihl 362 and it sounds like a great saw very comparable to the Husqvarna 562xp I recently bought. I have been through St Paul many times on motorcycle trips, used to love to stop and buy gas at the gas station-store on the corner before it closed.

thecfarm

I betcha you are enjoying it.  ;D

Cycledude,welcome to the forum.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I cut the majority of firewood for years with my 028 models (3 total). I got a 361 a few years ago and what a difference! You'll be very pleased with that upgrade. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawguy21

Nothing like a new tool to brighten your day. ;D It should give you very good service.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Those  Stihls  always look so pretty when they come home new. If you're  in hardwood country they hold a shine for quite a while.
But up here in the Boreal Forest with our sappy spruce and jackpine they don't  keep a clean face for long. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

beenthere

HT
I've noticed that too, and takes some time when filing the chain to clean the sap and pitch off. 
Simple Green gets it pretty clean in the shop, but a little gas works well too if I can do it outdoors.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I am calling "no fair" Jake.  You are making me wish my old 028 would conk out.   :-\   :D  Congrats !!!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

$ooline

Nice saw...I would just say that the 362c air filter setup is a better setup than the carbed 362.  I've run a 261/261c for a couple years and it's air injection like a husqvarna plus a really stout hd2 round air filter.  Pretty much the same as the 362c mtronic now.  Haven't read of anything "better" recently and some would say it's over engineered but it works great. 

HuckFin

I really like mine. I have run at least 5 tanks through mine and haven't had to clean the filter, plus no sign of dust around the carburetor cutting mostly hemlock and alder.  I have to clean the filter on my 034 every time I use it.

pine

Nice looking saw.  It will last you for years.

rooster 58

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 25, 2015, 04:54:52 PM

I have went through three hand-me-down 028 supers. I figured it was time I actually bought a saw. Stihl 362 CM with a 20" bar.
Several days to think about it.  Have an 028 that I've upgraded with a rim sprocket system and new chains. Also just did a carb job on it, but might need something else.  But I still want one of what you got.  ::) ::) ::) 8) 8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

If Stihl's new air injection is anything like Husky's, then you need to take the recoil off every now and then and clean out all of the gunk that will build up in there. My new 395 is about a year old. I haven't used it that much really, maybe 50 tanks, but the filter looks like new, there isn't a speck of dust under the cover.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

$ooline

Yea, the whole top shroud comes off of these newer smaller cc stihls, give you access to the everything.  Kinda slick, you can blow out the flywheel area pretty easy on these.

Magicman

Thank you for your input and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, $ooline.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

$ooline

Thanks, I really enjoy the forum.  Just a chainsawer and firewood nut here.

bkaimwood

I just made a trip to my local dealer, and dropped off my first stihl disappointment... My 362c, owned less than 6 months...its broke down in one way or another, at least 3 times now..first time, oiler issues resulting in stretched and dull chains... Second time spent half the day pulling it, the other half sawing...first time was in the drop notch of a 6 ton tree overhanging a customer's home, with them watching...third time, was trying to cut up logs after said tree job when the oiler stopped working, again...I dropped it off at the dealer today, said I can't trust it...at any price...and brought home a new 660 carb...called the dealer a half hour later, with my only complaint... Why didn't he sell me this saw in the first place!!!
bk

Al_Smith

Say about pine sap .First I doubt seriously if I've cut more than half dozen pines in my lifetime

Having said that what I do with my carbide inserted table saw blades is give them a shot of easy off oven cleaner .Let it soak about ten minutes then rinse it off with water.The stuff falls off .Might work for chainsaw chains.

Thank You Sponsors!