iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy with new mill and new trailer build...

Started by krayzie8rt1, March 25, 2015, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krayzie8rt1

hello guys. I have been reading this forum the last for 5 months and just thought I would introduce myself. I am a builder by trade I own a small construction company and reside in eastern Pennsylvania. I bought 10 acres to build my own house and while clearing out the lot it occurred to me I should make my own Lumber. Why not! While researching sawmills I come across this website and have learned so much from the wealth of knowledge of you fine gentlemen. I bought a Hudson 236 they sell them locally here. I've been building my own trailer to hold it and transport it around the property.I gotta say most of my ideas have come from all the various threads that I have been reading. from Anchor stealing my logs tips and tricks on the trailer etc. The trailer just got sand blasted today and I'll have paint on it tomorrow. Here's a few pics of my operation.
Hudson Oscar 236, 24' homemade trailer, Logrite 48" & 30", Stilh  290, Hudson debarker, Allis Calmers D14 w/ loader, bobcat 185 with grapple bucket, bobcat 435 excavator with thumb

krayzie8rt1

Hudson Oscar 236, 24' homemade trailer, Logrite 48" & 30", Stilh  290, Hudson debarker, Allis Calmers D14 w/ loader, bobcat 185 with grapple bucket, bobcat 435 excavator with thumb

krayzie8rt1

Bruno of NH

You will like the mill and trailer !
Making your own lumbers a lot of fun !
Do you have a loader or tractor for moving logs ?
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
That certainly looks to be a plenty strong trailer.

21incher

Welcome to the forum krayzie8rt1. The best thing I did was build a trailer for my little Hudson mill. It makes the sawing and handling boards much easier on my back. Looks like you have some sizable logs, are you going to add a log turner? We expect to see pictures of your wack of logs sawn up and stickered in the future.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

krayzie8rt1

Bruno, Yes, i have a bobcat skiddy, bobcat excavator and a 1959 allis chalmers D14 with a loader.

21incher, yes I'd like to add a log turner eventually. I really need to get back to work though! Playing with the logs and building the trailer doesn't pay the bills! I have the trailer sandblasted and hope to get paint on it tomorrow. Should be cutting lumber by Saturday!!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

krayzie8rt1,welcome to the forum. Looks like some thought went into that trailer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

Welcome to the Forum.  Nice rig and nice logs, too.  Looks like you've got it going on.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

krayzie8rt1

Got the final coat of paint on the trailer Friday evening. Installed the lights last night and finally got to cut some stickers this evening with the new trailer build. Have a few additional mods to add to the rig but overall it was a success!! The wheels are removable. Each side of the frame has 4 supports. The two center supports are modified levelers from scaffolding levelers. The lumber stacking rack also has scaffolding levelers on it. The hitch receiver is also removable to prevent theft.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

krayzie8rt1

Its a Hudson 236. Not sure what happened to that tiny pic that loaded.   

Logger003

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Welcome krayzie!  Thanks for joining us.

I love that part of the country!  Know a girl that was raised in Conestoga, met her family a couple of times, the warmest kindest nicest family ...  Big dairy operation. What I remember most besides the beautiful setting is the homemade ice cream and homemade root beer -- oh was it good!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

krayzie8rt1

Thanks Magicman!

Sawyerbrown, this is a nice part of the country! With all the amish and Mennonites around here you ccan get just about anything homemade. I have family in Iowa and take root beer and Goods potatoe chips out every time we visit. Im about 30 minutes from Conestoga.

Thank You Sponsors!