iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Chaps and helmet recommendation

Started by Brad_bb, March 23, 2015, 09:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm getting ready to place an order from Bailey's and I know I need some safety gear for chainsawing.  I'm going to be doing more in the near future.  What should I look for in chaps and helmet/facesheild/earmuff combo?  Any recommendation?  This isn't a job for me, just occasional cutting for timberframing pieces, and farm maintenance.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

terrifictimbersllc

I bought these chaps because they looked like they had the most Kevlar in them. and they wrap around the ankles.   Yes a bit bulky and a bit sweaty in hot weather, but I wear them most of the day when chain slabbing, and they're on and off for most chain sawing,  and am happy for the perceived safety. http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Protective-Clothing/Forestry-Chaps/Chaps/Labonville-X-Treme-Competition-Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps.axd

p.s. I'm not saying to buy it here just showing what I got.

I recently bought a new Stihl helmet (ProMark series) at the Stihl dealer for about $70.  Looks like stuff that broke on my first one is better dealt with or replaceable on this one.

Not saying any of this is better than any other but it is the best I know of.

I wouldn't mind having a Kevlar shirt or jacket also but need a tall size, my arms stick out of the XL shirt that Stihl sells.  Fashion before safety. ::)

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Everyone has a preference.  I like the fit of the Husky helmet combo, also really appreciate the cape that keeps junk off my neck.  As far as chaps, I always wear full wrap, apron style will twist around your leg and can leave an open spot in the event of a chain strike.  Full wrap keep sticks and briars off your calves too.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Why don't you consider http://www.shopcomstocklogging.com/ ?   From the words of Bob R the marketing guy from Bailey's to me when they left last year when I talked about the membership loyalty and how they frequent Baileys. "The Forestry Forum is Irrelevant"

Why don't you help make him eat his words and show a Forestry Forum sponsor that you ARE relevant. If they don't have on the website what you are looking for, they probably have it in stock in their physical store.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

What Jeff said, is what I was going to post.
Support of those who keep the Forum up and running is important to me, and hopefully other Forum members.
I used to buy a number of items, especially from Bailey's just because they were sponsors of the forum. Not any more.

If I get something from a non-sponsor, I don't advertise it by posting it on this Forum out of respect for the sponsors we have.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tam-i-am

Quote from: beenthere on March 23, 2015, 10:21:47 AM
What Jeff said, is what I was going to post.
Support of those who keep the Forum up and running is important to me, and hopefully other Forum members.
I used to buy a number of items, especially from Bailey's just because they were sponsors of the forum. Not any more.

If I get something from a non-sponsor, I don't advertise it by posting it on this Forum out of respect for the sponsors we have.

Well put Beenthere!  Buy Stihl helmet and chaps from a sponsor and that would help two sponsors.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Southside

Agree with Jeff here, I have purchased from Comstock and was very happy with them. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Just to add - whatever brand of PPE you do buy, make sure it is comfortable and fits well so that you don't find an easy excuse to not use it each and every time you use a saw, even for just a moment.  I know there are plenty of guys who don't wear it, and seemingly endless videos of some of the same, but I can personally attest that there are plenty of us out there who were some glad we were wearing it for that one very important second. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

HolmenTree

There was some trouble last year on FaceBook relating to Bailey's as I was informed by a PM here on Forestry Forum from a Bailey's spokeswoman.
I didn't get the full facts as she didn't answer my reply, but according to her information which was rather vague myself and SawTroll posted some sort of slander about their company on FB.
My reply was "I've never been on your FB site and you must have a mistaken identity or someone else must have posted as me."  ???
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Jeff

www.pacforest.com has chaps and hardhats, but not sure if they carry hardhat systems. 

When I was at booneville last year, Comstock's home show, I saw they have anything and everything a logger would need. They may not have it on the website, just like lots of places don't sell everything on a website they sell in a brick and mortar store. Know what you want and make a call and see if they can help.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pine

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 23, 2015, 09:04:31 AM
I'm getting ready to place an order from Bailey's and I know I need some safety gear for chainsawing.  I'm going to be doing more in the near future.  What should I look for in chaps and helmet/facesheild/earmuff combo?  Any recommendation?  This isn't a job for me, just occasional cutting for timberframing pieces, and farm maintenance.

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 23, 2015, 09:31:03 AM
I bought these chaps because they looked like they had the most Kevlar in them. and they wrap around the ankles.   Yes a bit bulky and a bit sweaty in hot weather, but I wear them most of the day when chain slabbing, and they're on and off for most chain sawing,  and am happy for the perceived safety. http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Protective-Clothing/Forestry-Chaps/Chaps/Labonville-X-Treme-Competition-Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps.axd

I purchased a set of the Labonville-X-Treme-Competition-Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps last year and they are robust.  Nice heavy pads and yes they are bit warm but I went with them instead of my former Stihl 9 ply, full wraps that I had been wearing.  The Stihl's were not available in the longer leg lengths in the 9 ply.  The bad of the Labonville's is that the full wrap calf part is not near as full wrap as the Stihls and the thigh part also has less coverage.  I guess I would describe the Labonville as giving significantly more coverage than the apron style but less than the Stihl full wraps.  They do however have a higher protection 10 ply vs the 9 ply.
Bottom line any protection however is better than no protection.

I like the Stihl safety shirt.  Breathes well but gives good cut protection.  Again warm in summer but safety is what it is all about.
I use the Woodsman helmet system.

John Mc

One of the things to look for in a helmet is a six-point suspension. They have significantly better shock absorption than the 4 point suspensions.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Southside

Quote from: John Mc on March 23, 2015, 10:25:47 PM
One of the things to look for in a helmet is a six-point suspension. They have significantly better shock absorption than the 4 point suspensions.

Agreed - and that suspension makes all the difference if you get struck.  My suspension bottomed out and I still ended up with a massive concussion, which brings with it a whole bag of issues, but the helmet was permanently deformed, which had it been my skull would mean I would not be typing this. There is actually a reverse imprint of my head on the inside of the helmet. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

Thanks for the input you guys.  Those kind of tips like full wrap, # of plys, 6 pt suspension... are definitely what I was looking for.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

John Mc

The Labonvile Xtreme competition chaps are certainly well made. I found them too bulky and too hot for my taste (I have a tendency to get wrapped up in what I'm dong and not notice that I'm getting dehydrated - which is a safety issue in itself).

My BIL has Labonville's regular (6-ply) full wrap chaps, and really likes them. I've got the Husvarna full-wrap chaps and am happy with them.  I've also got some Husqvarna summer weight chainsaw pants that work well.

[edit]  I just noticed that Husqvarna has redesigned and renamed their full-wrap chaps. The kind I have I believe was called "Forest Pro Full Wrap Chaps". These are very similar to their current "Technical Apron Wrap Chaps" (the kind with three buckles around each calf).

Husky now also makes some full wrap chaps that zip around the calf. I've never even seen a pair of these, let alone tried them. I'd be curious to hear from someone who has used them. How do they compare to the buckle style -- how are they to get on and off, and how do they compare to the buckle style for use in warmer weather?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!