iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huge red oaks. Too big for wm

Started by 123maxbars, March 22, 2015, 08:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I had a very large red oak cut down by the power company. It was near the end of its life and  near their lines. The tree produced three very clear logs. All 3 are 37in diam and 9ft feet long.  These are way to big for my lt35. I hate the thought of hauling them to a larger mill. My goal is to quarter saw everything. Any ideas? Was thinking maybe get all the steel and wooden wedges I have and try and to do a radial quarter split. I figured will be a lot of work but better than paying someone else to saw it. Thanks for any advice.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

customsawyer

What is the largest chain saw you have? Can you get black powder?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

123maxbars

Chainsaw is 22in bar. No black powder on hand.
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Dave Shepard

When I get a log too big for my mill, I quarter it with a chainsaw. If it's that big, I am usually going to quarter saw anyway. I use a level to put a plumb and level line on each end, with the "crosshairs" centered on the pith. Then snap a chalkline to connect the two lines on top of the log. Start the saw cut by putting the bar on the plumb line on the end of one log, and then try to freehand it the best you can down the log. Flip it over to finish, then flip the halves so the sawn side is down, and repeat.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

This is a big sycamore I did a few years ago. You can't really make out the crosshairs. I had a big saw, 94cc, so it went pretty fast. I don't think the whole operation took an hour.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JohnW

I'd bet it could be split in half.  Read what Roy Underhill says about splitting logs.  You can start the split on the end with your steel wedges, then you can cut some big wood wedges, maybe 18" long and 6" thick, or something like that.  I tried this before with a pine log for a science experiment, and it did okay.

Magicman

I agree with your plans, 123maxbars.  Go for it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shakebone

:o 45 min and she will cut it !
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

123maxbars

Kind of chain is needed for that operation?
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Dave Shepard

I used a square ground chain, which does well at ripping due to it's low angle. I've also ripped with regular round chisel chain. It doesn't leave a great finish, but you are going to true it up on the mill anyway.

Magicman

Whatever you have that is sharp will do the job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shakebone

I use just a good sharp chisel chain ,we saw oak and poplar in half regularly its a whole lot less time consuming and safer to me just pull a chalk line and cut away
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

sandsawmill14

this is a 48" poplar we split down 1 side and used wooden wedges made out of 4x6s  ;D
the hook as a 42" handle to compare  i did have to take another thick slab off the top with chainsaw to clear the mill
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

Here is a Pecan log that was 50"+ before whittling.

No, I did not do it and it ain't pretty, but it worked.   :)

Dudaks

Red oak should be able to be split with wedges. Haven't split anything as big as what you are talking about but when making Windsor chair parts out of red oak logs some 20" in diameter, wedges and a sledge hammer were my friends.

ncsawyer

Quote from: Magicman on March 22, 2015, 09:54:04 PM
Here is a Pecan log that was 50"+ before whittling.
No, I did not do it and it ain't pretty, but it worked.   :)

From the looks of that Pecan, I can bet whoever did the whittling probably had some swearing to go along with it.  I would hate to know I had to split that big and that hard of a log with a chainsaw.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 22, 2015, 09:18:16 PM
I used a square ground chain, which does well at ripping due to it's low angle. I've also ripped with regular round chisel chain. It doesn't leave a great finish, but you are going to true it up on the mill anyway.

You don't happen to have a square grinder do you? 
Boy, back in my day..

Tom the Sawyer

Haven't ever split a big one myself but once in awhile a client can get someone to split it for them.  I will mill them but they are no fun.  A half-round log with a 40" wide flat side is a challenge to move with a cant hook.

This was Monday's challenge, both halves of a Siberian Elm.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Magicman

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on March 22, 2015, 11:05:54 PM
Haven't ever split a big one myself but once in awhile a client can get someone to split it for them.
I have never split one either......and have no plans to.  I just saws um and leaves um.   :)

sandsawmill14

i have to split 5 or 6 a week usually but we have gotten pretty good at it now it takes about 30 min to saw and split 1. tom is right about handling though ,we use a forklift to place on mill and you have put flat side to backstops and hold with log turner but once the first cut is done you got it made smiley_thumbsup   
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

chief613

once you get a split started cut a hydraulic jack into one end to help split 

lt40hd

kelLOGg

Here's a 37" water oak that took 2.5 hours to halve with a 20" chainsaw. Don't want to do that again w/o a bigger saw.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

customsawyer

I have  no idea how many I have split with a chainsaw but I am willing to do it again. ;D
I did these for a customer a while back.

I do mine a little different. I don't put the flat side against the side supports. I put it up at a 45° angle. This gives me more quartersawn lumber and the fact that I use a edger helps me to get the best lumber.

This one has already been cut on the first side and then it is turned 90° in this pic.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

If you're running a Stihl it's not too bad....if you're running a Husky well...yea then it's a job
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!