iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to climb a tall pine tree

Started by black_edelweiss, March 22, 2015, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black_edelweiss

I need to climb a tree to attach a rope so I can guide its fall. Its next to my house and I need to put pressure on it with my winch as im making the back cut. I know nothing about climbing these trees and was wondering if there is info to read and information on buying the equipment.

Thanks

Straightgrain

Depending on the tree; option 1: You could use an extension ladder (with an assistant to hold it) to fix the cable or option 2: you can send up a fish line attached to the cable you intend to put pressure on the tree with....used the option 2 technique a couple-hundred times for jungle antennas in the service.. ;D

Option 2: I use 50 feet of parachute cord (go figure) tied to a gate hinge, I get it up and over a limb (at a sufficient height), I tie my cable to the opposite end and fish/snake it up and over the limb, circle the tree and attach it to itself, take up the slack and attach to a come along.

Option 3: call a professional with a license, insurance, and a bond.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

chet

smiley_thumbsup   +1 on   Option 3: call a professional with a license, insurance, and a bond.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Quebecnewf

See this guy on the middle tree. All you need are two short sections of rope about 12 ft long ( looked like old rope to me) with a loop on one end to go on one thigh and toe of one foot and of you go. You will not be encumbered by safety belts and all that other heavy stuff. You can go up your tree fast like a squirrel ( at least this guy could) and have that job done in no time. You hav to go only part way this guy went to the top and got me a couple coconuts.

How much easier can it be .....

Quebecnewf

timberlinetree

Use a throw ball they are cheap and available from ff sponsors. Get the rope third the way up. Make notch.Put tention on the rope first then back cut but not all the way thru. Then let her fall( yell timber :D)or winch her over.I've done a lot of these buy myself just take it slow. Good luck.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

WV Sawmiller

Instead of throw ball might use a bow and arrow. Attach string to the arrow, shoot over a limb, pull up a cable with it, make a loop with shackle and pull with your heavy equipment. Make sure the cable is longer than the tree so the tree doesn't fall on you.

Hiring the arborist may still be best money you will ever spend.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

You say you know nothing about climbing. Do you know anything about felling?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

47sawdust

Hey Quebecnewf,

That's a little out of your neighborhood isn't it.I bet that fella won't be coming home with you to set winch pulleys in trees.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

Quebecnewf has one of the most memorable (In my opinion) member felling video clips ever posted here. ;) :)

How not to fell a tree

OlJarhead

I have a 28 foot extension ladder and have done it with this.  Climb up, wrap the rope, climb down, attach to winch, set winch cable in a block and set the jeep 90 degrees to the tree (rope/cable makes 90 degree turn).  This puts the truck/jeep out of the path of the tree.

Put tension on and away you go.

Though admittedly I like option #3 too
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

buzzegray

Quote from: Jeff on March 23, 2015, 09:45:47 AM
You say you know nothing about climbing. Do you know anything about felling?
How about falling?

Jeff

BaldBob

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

so il logger

Yep, I stay on the ground to do my work ;) If you have to ask how to climb the said tree.... Then option 3 is the best bet. AKA get a arborist.

And felling is different than falling... IMO. Falling from a pine tree is falling... with a very rude re-orientation to soil.

black_edelweiss

Interesting ideas thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately option #3 is out of the question due to my remote location.

Ianab

Similar question recently, and pics of a successful outcome.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80757.msg1254434.html#msg1254434

The higher you can get the rope, the better, but a tall extension ladder, with a reliable helper to steady it, is an option. Get the rope longer than the height of the tree, or put in a redirect so you are pulling from a safe location off to the side. That poster used a "Y" shaped rig to direct the fall between 2 different trees, but the idea is the same.

Also, make sure you don't  over tension the pull rope as you are cutting. Take up the slack and put a little tension on, then get your felling cuts made. Once you are happy with your felling cuts, and the tree is sitting there balanced on the hinge / wedges / rope, then you walk around to the winch, and haul it over. Too much tension initially could split the tree into a barberchair and really mess things up in a hurry. Once you have the hinge wood formed, then you can winch the tree over in a controlled way.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

buzzegray

Thank You Sponsors!