iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for good gloves

Started by Southside, March 22, 2015, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Has anybody found a good, durable, pair of gloves to use when handling lumber?  I have my kevlar chainsaw gloves, awesome for running a saw, but they don't stand up much to timber and lumber.  Seems I can never find gloves that will not fall apart in a day or two.

Thanks
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I haven't found the perfect gloves yet and I have tried plenty.  Presently I am using the three for $10 Home Depot gloves that hold up very well considering the price.  They are certainly not the best when coiling/uncoiling blades because nothing beats leather when handling blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wallys World

I am also using the gloves from Home Depot. They have been doing good for me for the fit and price.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lyle niemi

I wear leather mitts now instead of gloves

Bruno of NH

I like the atlas gloves like pacforest sells
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lirachamo51

i used to buy the big packs of cheap leather gloves from hd or l and they might last a day or a few while cutting firewood and then i bought a good pair of heavy leather ones for around 14$ and they lasted me the whole winter cutting and stacking firewood around 8 full cords. i found out in the long run it was cheaper to get the more expensive ones full leather.
Randy

sprucebunny

I like the Atlas brand like Pacforest sells. They last pretty well and are washable, but still cheap enough to throw out. Good grip and can have some padding/warmth in winter. Good dexterity, also.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Nomad

I buy a 10 pack of the cheap gloves to give my help, especially when cutting pine.  I get higher quality heavy duty leather gloves for myself.  Two reasons for that.  The cheap ones don't come big enough to fit my hands.  They don't stand up to handling blades, either.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WV Sawmiller

While good heavy leather gloves last a little longer for me the difference between really good and really cheap don't ones for me don't justify the extra cost so last ones I got were 5 pack from HF for $8 a pack.

Besides, my rat terrier fishing/hunting buddy and our Australian shepherd loves my old ones to toss and shred. I'm happy for him to have one of the old worn out cheap ones but it hurts my feelings when I buy a heavy expensive pair and look around and find Sampson stole it and has ripped the fingers out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WH_Conley

Pigskin gloves from Northern Safety are a good trade off between price and durability.

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/1680/NS-Hand-Protection-Grain-Pigskin-Work-Gloves

Northern Safety is not the same as the other Northern company. I asked them the last time I ordered just to make sure. ;D
Bill

4x4American

Kinko makes a great pigskin glove.  They are very tough.  They have a lined one which did great this past cold winter.  They also have an unlined version which I use as welding gloves in the summer time.  They are tough as nails.  They cost a little bit more $15 or so but are well worth the $.  I have tried so many gloves and these are the ones for me.  Can't say enough good things about them.  I get mine from the local logging supply store.

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/kinco-1927kwl-pigskin-lined-work-gloves-knit-wrist-l/?gclid=CjwKEAjw0LmoBRDHuo7UkaKXhn8SJADmDTG0WpbabO3G5GzG255oyj0IMelF_gbBkJ9dakHoA4pAfRoCKVnw_wcB
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

The logrite ones BT put up look good.  Maybe when I pony up for a logrite peavy I will get them too.
Boy, back in my day..

shakebone

This sounds crazy but go to the welding dept at the home depot and the Lincoln welding gloves are great they have a liner wear good and are thick leather last longer than anything I've found and wear good too!
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

4x4American

Good thought, but instead of supporting home depot maybe go to local welding shop!  Tillman makes the best welding gloves in my opinion.
Boy, back in my day..

shakebone

May have to try a pair of them ! :laugh:
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

barbender

I've been wearing Kinco insulated pigskins long enough that I remember they were $4.99 a pair when I first started wearing them ::)
Too many irons in the fire

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

BCsaw

I wear "lineman" gloves. They are gauntlet style. Similar to welding gloves but not quite as heavy. I like the extra length, even in the heat, great protection. I get them as a snug fit, they are easier to work with. I go through about 4-5 pairs a year. Wear them for everything outside! I pay about $15 a pair.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Brad_bb

I prefer a glove that is more form fitting and will give me more sensitive tactile feel for what I am touching.  In other words I don't like a thick or loose glove.  With that said, the best I've found is the RW (Rugged Wear) I get at my local Menards.  Apparently they are only available at Menards.  They are normally $6.99 unless they are on sale.

They are pigskin.  One of the keys is that there is no stitching on the palm/wear areas.  Another key to making them last longer is to keep them supple by using Obenauf's on them from the start.  This will greatly extend the life, probably triple the life.  If you don't, they will quickly dry out and cause the pigskin to open up or tear.  Even so they will only be good for a few weeks of regular use, which is actually pretty good given the tactile sensitivity of these gloves.  You can get Obenauf's at their website http://www.obenaufs.com/Default.asp   
I discovered it on the Wranglestar channel on youtube and I think I even got a discount by using the Wranglerstar name when I ordered.  It's also available from Bailey's and Amazon and is great for all things leather.

One last thing, I measure the extra room at the end of the index finger tip, or any finger tip if there is too much extra material, and then turn the glove finger inside out, sew the tip closed shorter with my sewing machine, and cut the excess material off so I have a better fitting finger.  It doesn't take long at all and makes a big difference in fit not to have that extra material flopping at the end of the finger.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ncsawyer

http://www.partnaranimalhealth.com/osCommerce/product_info.php?products_id=42

These are super cheap, have saved my hands and kept me out of a messy situation a many a time. But they're no match for splinters.  ;D
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Ron Wenrich

When I was a choker setter, they told me to use cotton gloves.  They were cheaper, lasted about as long as leather considering the price, and they handled cable barbs a lot better.  I stuck with them ever since.  When I was sawing on a hand circle mill, they would last about a week. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

justallan1

I wear Kinco buffalo hide gloves for everything other than the cold. They hold up to fencing better than any that I've found and the blades don't hurt them plus the webbing between your thumb and fingers is enough that you can actually grab something.
With big hands I tend to tear the seams out of ANY gloves and the Kinco seem to hold up a little better than average.
When I worked in the oilpatch I would buy the 10 packs of cloth gloves called oilriggers and would buy them today if I could find them. They are double or triple layer cloth gloves with the outside layer more of a canvas than cloth and just flat bullet proof.

4x4American

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on March 23, 2015, 04:51:05 AM
When I was a choker setter, they told me to use cotton gloves.  They were cheaper, lasted about as long as leather considering the price, and they handled cable barbs a lot better.  I stuck with them ever since.  When I was sawing on a hand circle mill, they would last about a week. 

Cotton gloves are the best to prevent jaggers from gettin ya when you're working with cable.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!