iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you transport your blades

Started by WV Sawmiller, March 22, 2015, 10:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Especially for you mobile bandmillers, how do you box and transport your saw bands? Anybody got some great, simple packaging or crate built that is easy to handle? How do you keep used blades separate from new ones? Mark and store together in same crate or different compartment in same box, etc?

I did my first mobile job this week and just carried 2 types of blades in the factory box (about 3' flat pack) and there has to be a better way. I'd love to hear from you guys who have already solved this problem. Thx.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

goose63

New ones on the front seat of the truck used ones in the back
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sandsawmill14

new blades in the cab in box they came in.  resharps in the back with teeth up,  dull blades in the back teeth down i dont roll blades to transport after sharpening  its more trouble than its worth to me. :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

downsouth

Do a search for the "Magic can" I think is what he calls it. It is a Magic man invention.

4x4American

I hang them from my whip antenna...thought that's what everyone does  ::)

Boy, back in my day..

homesteader1972

I have been bringing them in the box they came in, but coil them and put them in the bed of the truck teeth up after use. I also mark them with a sharpie as to the profile so my 4 and 9 dont get mixed up.  But I am also looking for a better way too.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

WV Sawmiller

Downsouth,

No hits when I search on Magic can.

@Magicman ,

Can you assist. Thx loads.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yup, I had originally called it my Magic Can.  Here is the thread where I built my last Blade Can
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I store & transport blades flat pack like they come from WM, up to 15 a flat pack, but  I made my own lauan boxes as cardboard doesn't hold up.  Easy to carry whatever might be needed, those in pic are 4, 7, and 9 degree.  The loose ones are two dull 4s from yesterday.    I also made sturdy wood boxes (not seen in pic, off to the right) to protect plastic containers of diesel and blade lube from sharp pokey things.  In terms of sharp pokey things, blades and Logrite tools are the worst offenders.  In the black truck box on the right are containers of gas, oils, atf, hydraulic fluid, bluecreeper, sprays, etc.  On the right some equipment.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ncsawyer

Magic,  that's a snazzy can.  On your next build,  when you cut the trash can, use the Wood-Mizer.  Set a couple of 1X boards across the mill rails to sit the can on.  Take a water hose a fill the can with water.  The water level should be higher than your cut.  The water holds the can in place and helps the plastic can hold its shape during the cut.  The end result is a perfectly straight and level cut.  And it's loads more fun!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Magicman

Thanks, and that is a snazzy idea.  smiley_idea

Since the last can lasted 12 years, that is exactly what I will do in 12 years when I build my next Magic Can.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM & TT,

Thx for the link and the pics. I will try one or both of these techniques. Keep up the good work and stay safe out there.
Howard Green

Chuck White

This is how I transport/store mine!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Whatever you do, make sure they are well secured and not laying coiled on the front seat of your truck. When you hit a bump and two coiled blades uncoil you will think that you just got caught in a the middle of a wildcat fight. You won't know which of them won, but you will know that you lost. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Sounds like you had a visit from experience on that occasion Dave!
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

My blade box is made from left-over pieces of T-111 siding and a few stickers and hinges I had laying around.

Just put together with screws, so if one of the stickers wears through, it can easily be replaced.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

AnthonyW

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 22, 2015, 02:26:54 PM
I store & transport blades flat pack like they come from WM, up to 15 a flat pack, but  I made my own lauan boxes as cardboard doesn't hold up.  Easy to carry whatever might be needed, those in pic are 4, 7, and 9 degree.  The loose ones are two dull 4s from yesterday.    I also made sturdy wood boxes (not seen in pic, off to the right) to protect plastic containers of diesel and blade lube from sharp pokey things.  In terms of sharp pokey things, blades and Logrite tools are the worst offenders.  In the black truck box on the right are containers of gas, oils, atf, hydraulic fluid, bluecreeper, sprays, etc.  On the right some equipment.

Same here. I made some wooden flat boxes to haul the new ones in. Old blades are placed in the back aof the truck as is and then transferred to the cardboard box at home to be sent to resharp. The only downside is that I had to make a few of my own metal rings for holding the bands together.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Peter Drouin

I just put them back in the box they came in. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

^ me too.  Except I don't use those big goofy flat boxes I use the ones TK sends their blades in.  They are small and can fit under your bum in the front seat to keep em warm on the cold winter days
Boy, back in my day..

Kasba

I made a Magic can after emailing Magic Man for some help, I also found a plastic planter that a local landscaping company was going to throw in the garbage. The planter fits perfectly in the can and secures the blades but also allows me to store items in the center without them getting wrecked from the blades. Hats off to Magic Man for his great idea.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on March 23, 2015, 09:01:11 PM
^ me too.  Except I don't use those big goofy flat boxes I use the ones TK sends their blades in.  They are small and can fit under your bum in the front seat to keep em warm on the cold winter days

When I go to a Maine open house I buy some Qube boxes to put the 55 in. The flat one are a pane. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

My customer gave me a couple of cattle feed "molasses drums" today.  19" diameter on the bottom and 18" tall with a lid.  I'll clean them up tomorrow and see if they have any value as blade cans.

tmarch

Quote from: Magicman on March 23, 2015, 10:50:10 PM
My customer gave me a couple of cattle feed "molasses drums" today.  19" diameter on the bottom and 18" tall with a lid.  I'll clean them up tomorrow and see if they have any value as blade cans.
I use those and they work well.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Thank You Sponsors!