iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newb looking for advice

Started by black_edelweiss, March 21, 2015, 06:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black_edelweiss

I have some property out in the forest (plumas county California) and do pretty good selling firewood year round. I was cutting into a real nice cedar the other day and thought it was a waste to burn something as pretty as this, so I did some looking around online and found this forum and the whole milling niche. I have been looking at different setups for the last few days and came across the harbor freight saw mill for $2000 which seems like a great mill. The real problem for me is how to get the logs into my trailer or truck and back to my property. I've never had an issue moving firewood rounds because I can just split them, but how would you guys recommend loading large 8'-10' section of tree into a trailer or truckbed, or is it better to take the mill to the logs?

I want to eventually start selling small batches of lumber on craigslist or locally. Nothing big, but enough to cover the price of the equipment needed to mill my own lumber. Mainly this would be a hobby as im working with wood on a daily basis anyhow.

customsawyer

Go to the search button on here and search par buckling. Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

black_edelweiss,welcome to the forum. Nothing a matter with a harbor freight sawmill. BUT it's not the best to use it as a long time investment. Not a mill that can be used to saw alot of lumber. Any way for you to go to a few shows to see some other mills? That will open your eyes more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Welcome  :)

Couple of ways you can load a trailer.

One is called parbuckling. This involves putting a couple of ramps on the side of the trailer and rolling the log up those using a winch and cable. Demonstrated here, with pictures
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80686.msg1227359.html#msg1227359

Another way is with a hinged frame at the back of the trailer that  lifts and drags the logs up onto the trailer with the help of a winch. Known on the Forum as the Dang loader. See one in action here.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,76289.msg1157562.html#msg1157562

Both would work with either an electric winch or a geared manual boat winch and some arm power. Just keep your body parts in a safe place in case anything goes wrong
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

goose63

Welcome to the forum for a little money you can get a Woodland mill thy are a sponsor here at this great forum
I have a woodland and it's doing a great job for me
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, black_edelweiss.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, black_edelweiss.  I personally prefer to take the sawmill to the logs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

I use a tow strap, come alongs and loading ramps.  Slow but works well.  Loaded a pine log that maxed out my truck suspension with that method today. 
I like the come along, two actually, because I can move them around to redirect the log.  A fixed winch can be problematic if you are trying to load multiple logs, load them at an angle etc.

coppolajc10

I've also used a come alongs and ramps ... definitely slow:

I would like to rig something along the top of my ramps to use the ramps as a dang loader.  Also thinking of making a log arch to retrieve logs from lawns and load pulling the arch up the ramps.

BTW, I wasn't the one who made the butt log shorter :embarassed:, just used it cause it was there when I got there.

Magicman

My way when I get free logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!