iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chevy 350?

Started by Knute, March 21, 2015, 01:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

I have a question about the location of vehicle and engine ID numbers on a 1970 350. Should the engine number on the block shelf at the bottom of the head be the same as the VIN number on the dash? I may have gotten my vehicle back with a replacement engine rather than an engine rebuild which I requested. Thanks in advance for any info.

sandhills

Not going to answer your question, sorry, but did they possibly have to replace the heads or the block?  (I'm thinking cracks in one or the other) Just a thought?

Knute

No cracks. One valve was bad, but since it had 112,000 miles, thought I would just have a complete rebuild. Bill showed being charged for rebuild, but not sure that is what I got.

Peter Drouin

Whenever I have something I want back or the one I pick out. I put a mark on it and I don't tell them. ;D
I wish I could help you.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Knute

That's a great idea. I did think of that, but not until it was too late.

bama20a

The numbers are diff-,They do not use the same.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

jcbrotz

The numbers are different but I have a list printed off that will get you the info you would need to see if its the same vintage. If you can get the casting numbers on the back of the block and the casting numbers from the heads I can tell you the years (range) of them. Used to be a webpage mortec or something similar but is defunct now but I printed all the pages when I was collecting big block chevys.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Firewoodjoe

You can just google it to. The block numbers that is. Unless you know that it was a 1970 350 to begine with. Of wich I'm assuming you never ran the numbers till now so you wouldn't have know what it was before. Becasue I've owned dozens of old Chevys. Have a 70,72,and 82 now. And over the years they get changed. My 1970 is a one owner show room bought truck. Bought it from the original purchasers son and it has an 85 350. Just saying don't jump to conclusions if it's not a 70😊

easymoney

i am just guessing. i bet your engine was  added to the to be rebuilt pile and was exchanged for a similar engine from stock.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: easymoney on April 01, 2015, 09:00:21 PM
i am just guessing. i bet your engine was  added to the to be rebuilt pile and was exchanged for a similar engine from stock.

Then you get a 2 bolt and they keep the 4 bolt. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandhills

DanG stock car people!  :D :D

Peter Drouin

I use to build some hot rods back in the day  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandsawmill14

we use to want the 2 bolt 350s for our dirt car  then send em off and have the splayed main caps put on  ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

red

We had the 400 small blocks and told everyone they were tired 305 with a Big cam
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!