iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

254 pro?

Started by BubbasDad, March 21, 2015, 12:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbasDad

I have a chraftsman made by husq. I cross parts numbers- cylinder, piston, crank seals bearings. Bought it for 25$ needed a clutch sprocket had one on a 51 for parts wprkdd great. Crank bearings went and seal was seepin making it hard to restart any way waitin on parts to get here so i decided to attack it with dremmel. Not new to saws by any means but this is first attempt at porting. Any advice on open transfer ports? When i figure out how to load pics i'll post some of intake and exaust ports. Though i forgot to take before pics
John

SawTroll

Quote from: BubbasDad on March 21, 2015, 12:44:34 AM
I have a chraftsman made by husq. ....

??? That sounds very odd - but maybe it is made by Poulan (that is owned by Husky)?
Information collector.

BubbasDad

It was made in mid to late 80s has no chain brake just knuckle saver.
John

BubbasDad

How do i load pics?
John

beenthere

Go to "Home" page, scroll to bottom and the threads are there for loading.

First set up an album in your gallery and give it a name.
Then, have your pics in .jpg format.

Then click the line below this post window that says "Click here to add Photos to post" and upload it to your album in your gallery.

Click the pic and it will enlarge, then scroll down to where it says to "insert image in post" . 

All there is to it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BubbasDad

Cylinder mods.removed ALOT of material from intake port side the original opening was smaller than the deepest point. Any tips or ideas on what i can do with transfer ports?
John

BubbasDad

John

BubbasDad

Figured out belt sander works great to deck the cylinder if done carefully.
John

BubbasDad

Thank you for help on getting pics uploaded! Still had to have wife figure it out!! Working off a dumb-smart phone.
John

SawTroll

Quote from: BubbasDad on March 21, 2015, 10:35:39 AM
It was made in mid to late 80s has no chain brake just knuckle saver.

It surely isn't a Husky 254 - and those "knuckle savers" are a typical Poulan feature, at that time.

Have you measured the bore of the cylinder?

Pictures of the outside of the saw would help ID it.  ;)
Information collector.

BubbasDad

I will have to wait til its back together its in a box in pieces waiting on cranke seals and bearings. It is great cutting saw just started gettin hard to start. Mod# 358351200 if that is any help. 3.3 cu. In. 54cc. Hows the pics look? Look like it should make a differance?
John

BubbasDad

John

NCFarmboy

3300 Poulan rebadged in Craftsman.  Be careful widening the intake on the inside of cyl. the piston ring pin is offset to one side.  If you go too wide the ring will pop out in the intake port. What is called a Woods port widen the intake and exhaust to 65% of bore.  I would do 46 x .65 which is 29.9mm or 30mm.  Good saw I have 4-5 of them.  Pro grade split crankcase saw.  Easy to work on.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

SawTroll

Quote from: NCFarmboy on March 21, 2015, 05:33:56 PM
3300 Poulan rebadged in Craftsman.  ..... 

I just concluded the same.  Poulan 3300
Information collector.

BubbasDad

Thanks men, I appreciate the help! I am curious on how to split the case? I seen a video on u tube with a tool that bolts on with bar and pushs on end of crank, i could build one i guess, just wondering if you guys had any easier tips? Got the saw tore apart in my kitchen! Cause i dont have a shop yet.  (wife is anctious for me to get one built this spring) I cant wait to see how she runs with mods saw is very well balanced. Any ideas where i can get a well built but fairly cheap 16" bar and drive gear is marked 3/8-7-2 off of a 61 so its not the style that is part of clutch drum. Also i have tube from 61 that takes air from fly wheel side into air box i am gonna try to incorperate into the build. Any thoughts on that and how to make more compression?
John

BubbasDad

Quote from: NCFarmboy on March 21, 2015, 05:33:56 PM
3300 Poulan rebadged in Craftsman.  Be careful widening the intake on the inside of cyl. the piston ring pin is offset to one side.  If you go too wide the ring will pop out in the intake port. What is called a Woods port widen the intake and exhaust to 65% of bore.  I would do 46 x .65 which is 29.9mm or 30mm.  Good saw I have 4-5 of them.  Pro grade split crankcase saw.  Easy to work on.
Shep

You think i should take them both to 30mm?  How much improvement do you think ill see?
John

BubbasDad

And that wont effect ring? I am at 29 now. Shoud i open muffler? It  actually comes in 3 pieces factory. And should i mess with piston at all?
John

Thank You Sponsors!