iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 359 etec

Started by ZR900, March 20, 2015, 12:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZR900

Now I would like to convert this saw to run all the same chains as my 261 and 262 they have a .058 bar and a .325 driver. The 359 has a 050 bar and I would like to run a .058. Do I have to change the clutch or can I simply change the rim to a .325 from a 3/8? I tried to get the correct part three times form the shop and they keep getting it wrong. I sent the clutch in the last time and they gave my wife the exact same rim I already have! The problem is the .325 that I tried on it is too small to fit the shaft on the clutch. Is there a .325 rim that will fit the 359 clutch?

ZR900

S/n of 359 is 08 2700782

Thx

ZR900

Other number. Model maybe? 967 04 17-00

beenthere

ZR900

You can use the "modify" button to update/edit your posts, and it will help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

If that .325 rim you tried on your 359 small spline drum was too small then you had a mini 7 spline rim for a Stihl ???
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Ok I forgot the  359 came with both small 7 spline and standard 7 spline rim setups
Yours  is a standard spline rim so the only .325 rim available in that spline is a 9  T .325 rim.
Oregon makes that  rim but Husqvarna  doesn't  sell it as far as  I  know.
If you can't  find the 9T .325 rim then you'll  have to order the smaller splined .325 drum/rim/oiler gear kit from Husqvarna.
I would  go with the smaller .325 rims as the 9T .325 rim may be too high of a gearing for what you may be cutting.

ZR900

Would that be the same length chain as the 261/262's?

Do you have a part number?

Thx

HolmenTree

Yes all 359 261 262 share the same 8.2mm small bar mount so chain length will be the same.
I have 9T Oregon .325 rims but don't  know off hand what part #is.
But I think that's  too big of a rim for your 359

ZR900

In what way is it too big?

HolmenTree

It's  in between  the diameter  of a 8 and 9 T 3/8 rim. That's  a tall gear for a 60cc saw. Might be fine for limbing and small wood..........

SawTroll

Quote from: ZR900 on March 21, 2015, 07:45:05 AM
In what way is it too big?

.325x9 is too much for a 359 that is anywhere close to stock - unless you just use it to cut twigs.

Just get a small 7-spline drum and a .325x7 and or x8 rim (I suggest you try both, also in the 262 - likely you will like 8-pin best, specially on the 262xp).

Most bars that fit those saws (small Husky/K095) will take the same number of dl for the same called length - but there are exceptions.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Forgot to say; Get rid of the cat muffler on the e-Tech, and replace it with a normal one. The saw will perform better, and last longer.  :)
Information collector.

ZR900

If it's physically larger around the outside wouldn't that gear it down? Chain speed slower?

Which muffler should I be looking for? Unique to the 359? Part number by any chance?

Thx

SawTroll

504 70 64-01, according to the 2010 IPL.
Information collector.

ZR900

Thx for the info.

Re: the "gearing". Yup you guys are right. Higher gears. Had to think of it like a sled. Primary clutch comes in making it "bigger" as you increase speed.

I'll have to put a turbo on it and carry nitros!

I'm going to try it. It's ordered. See what happens.

ZR900

I'm giving up on this saw. Put it back together and now there's not enough adjustment to get the chain on it.

I put it back to stock. Take a couple pics and put it on Craigslist.

Oh well

Thank You Sponsors!