iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Dill Enema

Started by Chuck De Luck, March 20, 2015, 01:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck De Luck

Er.. a dilemma
  I need an atv.
  I found these two at the local, (and only) dealer.
  Both the same year, 2003, and price.
  The Sportsman has 5000 miles, and the Grizzly has 1000 +.
   I was looking for a Sportsman, and would buy this in a heartbeat, but then the dealer rode out on the Grizz and said, ride it too.
  Now the Grizzly would not need maintenance as soon as the Sportsman, ( and is in better shape but doesn't have a winch), true, but ...
  The steering was better on the Grizz and is is carbureted, Possibly easier repairs.
   But the Sportsman is EFI and has guts but maybe more complicated repairs ?
   Guess it's a no brainer.  Whaddya all think

Stihl .044, . MS441, MS171
LT40

justallan1

The last ranch I worked for used Polaris bikes and while the engines worked pretty good I spent a good bit of time welding frames back together for them.
I have a Honda, plus the ranch that I now work for uses Honda Ranchers and they seem to be a bit tougher. I don't know your plans for it, but on a ranch they get used pretty hard.
Hope this helps some.

samandothers

I have the same Polaris and like the EFI, never a starting issue.  Only failure point so far has been the kill switch on handlebars when bad and the bike started cutting off.   Routine maintenance has been simple.  I added a winch to mine and it was not hard nor too expensive. 
I have pulled a 4 x 8 trailer without issue I think towing is about 1500 lbs.  I do not have that many miles on mine by far so it has been used a lot less. 

I don't have any experience with the Grizzly.  Let us know what you decide.

florida

Polaris are good machines but 5,000 is a lot of miles. My Honda Foreman has 290 hours but only has about 2600 miles. Also, 2003 was a long time ago and newer machines have newer technology. Around here a 2003 Polaris with that kind of mileage would probably go for $2500.00 or even less.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

sprucebunny

Honda.
Buying used from a dealer only garrentees that the dealer makes money.

My Honda is 12 years old and has been thru a lot, towed 3500 pounds of crushed rock thru the bush, gotten trees dropped on it (  ::) ) and the worst problem I had was an electrical connection that came apart and I couldn't find it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Raider Bill

It's not a issue for you I'm guessing but Polaris belt drives do not do well in the red clay mud I have. I have 3 Yamahas 98 Wolverine, 99 Big Bear, and a 2000 Warrior.The  Honda is a Foreman all great machines. 1 of my yammies has over 1500 hours on it and still going  strong. We treat them very hard.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Chuck De Luck

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 20, 2015, 09:04:17 AM
It's not a issue for you I'm guessing but Polaris belt drives do not do well in the red clay mud I have. I have 3 Yamahas 98 Wolverine, 99 Big Bear, and a 2000 Warrior.The  Honda is a Foreman all great machines. 1 of my yammies has over 1500 hours on it and still going  strong. We treat them very hard.

-Nope, no red clay, heard Hondas are tops, glad to hear you like your Yammy

Quote from: sprucebunny on March 20, 2015, 08:37:50 AM
Honda.
Buying used from a dealer only garrentees that the dealer makes money.
My Honda is 12 years old and has been thru a lot, towed 3500 pounds of crushed rock thru the bush, gotten trees dropped on it (  ::) ) and the worst problem I had was an electrical connection that came apart and I couldn't find it.

-A year and a half searching on craigslist and classifieds, I only found one in the area, a honda but was too late.
- - So basicly I would prefer the Polaris, but ...

Quote from: florida on March 20, 2015, 08:33:34 AM
Polaris are good machines but 5,000 is a lot of miles. My Honda Foreman has 290 hours but only has about 2600 miles. Also, 2003 was a long time ago and newer machines have newer technology. Around here a 2003 Polaris with that kind of mileage would probably go for $2500.00 or even less.

That will most likely be the clincher  I'm looking at 3280$ out the door on either of them. (we have to pay the special "bend over" tax,because we live in a remote area).
  We will see tomorrow.
Stihl .044, . MS441, MS171
LT40

coxy

jmop I would never buy a Polaris  I used my buddys for about a month road it hard but didn't abuse it  first thing the belt went only had 80miles on belt then the clutch bushings on front clutch went bad then the bearings went on the rear axel and a few other small things  and it only had 500miles on it so me and Polaris don't get a long to good  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!