iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does Anybody Have a Wallentstein FX65 Logging Winch on small tractor?

Started by BAP, March 19, 2015, 07:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAP

I am looking at buying a 3pt hitch logging winch to go on my kubota B2920 tractor. I have a bunch of firewood to get out that are either small trees or cut up larger trees. I want a winch to be able to get to places that are to hard to get to to hitch a chain on directly to the tractor. I went to my local dealer who sells Farmi and Wallenstein. They recommended the Wallenstein FX65 winch over the Farmi 290 because of how it hitches onto the 3 pt hitch arms. Does anybody have the Wallenstein and use it on a small tractor in the 20hp range? Does anybody have a different brand they are using on that size tractor? Looking for advice what to buy that would work for me.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! There are a few Wallenstein FX65 users on here, but I'm not sure what size tractors they are using them on. I'm sure somebody will respond when they see this.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

The dealer SHOULD know what will work better on your tractor. I feel any brand of winch is good,they all do a good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Straightgrain

Quote from: thecfarm on March 19, 2015, 08:44:35 PM
The dealer SHOULD know what will work better on your tractor. I feel any brand of winch is good,they all do a good job.

X2.

There really isn't much difference between winches when compared side-by-side; I searched for 3 years and I liked them all. Having a local dealer for the model I bought was the major tipping-point for my purchase, and the dealer I chose beat everyone's price (in a US & Canada search) by $500.00 (and I'm basically a nobody in my area).

My FX65 is mounted on a 30 HP; there are two options for the lifting arms (H & L), and you will have to measure from PTO to the winch and cut the telescopic shafts and the plastic sleeves on the drive-line (all in the owner's manual).

I put mine to the test these last two weeks and even though I discovered it's limitations, it far-exceeds my expectations.

The FX65 is designed for a 540 RPM PTO; a 30 HP tractor needs to rev to 2,3XX RPMs for the PTO to reach 540 RPMs....Wallenstein only needs/wants 1/4 of the the total engine's RPMs to run. I run my engine @ 1200-1500 RPMs when winching and it pulls multiple logs (20" D X21' L) without any problems.

28" diameter logs "and up" need to be bucked down to a length of 9' or you may burn-out the clutch; where a small tractor's front wheels may have trouble staying on the surface with bigger logs anyway.

Read the book and put yourself through a 2 or 3 day training program and you will get much more out of whatever winch you buy.

smiley_skull

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

BAP

I went back down to the dealer this afternoon and took some measurements of the 2 winches the Farmi JL290 and the Wallenstein FX65. The Farmi is a little smaller and the distance between bottom pins and top pins are closer. Also it is about 100lbs lighter so I think it would be a better bet for my B2920 Kubota which isn't very big. Now. if I could find some prices on the Farmi to compare to what I was quoted to see if it competitive.

Straightgrain

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

John Mc

My local tractor dealer (NEw Holland and Kubota) sells a LOT of Farmi winches. They sold the Farmi 290 for a time, but discontinued carrying that model. The 290 has the PTO input offset to the side (unlike al of the other Farmi winches currently sold). If you look at the angle the PTO drive shaft makes from the tractor to the winch, it's a pretty sharp angle. This puts more wear on the PTO universal joints, and can also transfer some stresses to the tractors PTO output shaft, and to the input of the winch.  If you are using this only rarely, it may never become an issue for you, but it was enough of a concern around here that they simply stopped carrying that model.  They are BIG fans of Farmi winches other than this model. (Note: I own a Uniforest 35E, which is rated the same as the Farmi 351. The 35E has the same drive line set up as the Farmi 290. I've not had any problems yet, but I've been able to hear since it was brand new that the universals don't run as smoothly as winches with a straighter drive line.)

Your tractor can handle a Farmi 351. I'd be looking at that model over the 290.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Holmes

BAP  Farmi winch direct is a sponsor. Look in the add column on my computer it's on the left.
Think like a farmer.

g_man

Quote from: John Mc on March 22, 2015, 03:14:03 PM
My local tractor dealer (NEw Holland and Kubota) sells a LOT of Farmi winches. They sold the Farmi 290 for a time, but discontinued carrying that model. The 290 has the PTO input offset to the side (unlike al of the other Farmi winches currently sold). If you look at the angle the PTO drive shaft makes from the tractor to the winch, it's a pretty sharp angle. This puts more wear on the PTO universal joints, and can also transfer some stresses to the tractors PTO output shaft, and to the input of the winch.  If you are using this only rarely, it may never become an issue for you, but it was enough of a concern around here that they simply stopped carrying that model.  They are BIG fans of Farmi winches other than this model. (Note: I own a Uniforest 35E, which is rated the same as the Farmi 351. The 35E has the same drive line set up as the Farmi 290. I've not had any problems yet, but I've been able to hear since it was brand new that the universals don't run as smoothly as winches with a straighter drive line.)

Your tractor can handle a Farmi 351. I'd be looking at that model over the 290.

John - I have a JL290 and I can assure you that the pto shaft is not offset to the side. Are you sure you have the number right ?? I bought mine in 2001.

John Mc

g_man -

It's possible I have that number wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw one of the last 290s they carried before dropping them. I also don't know if there were changes to the design over the years. This was also more than 7 years ago, and I'm going by memory. He showed me how on the 351, the PTO input was straight behind the tractor's PTO output shaft. On the 290 (if that was the number), the PTO input shaft on the winch was offset to the right side (as you face forward on the tractor), creating a noticeable angle in the driveshaft. I was told they were seeing accelerated wear on the U-joints, particularly on those units which were seeing heavier use (apparently, the u-joints can take the angle at reduced loading?)

If I've got it wrong (either from failing memory, or because the design has changed since I considered them) I apologize for putting incorrect information out there. That's the reason I passed on the 290 years ago.  Of course, I ended up with a unit that had the same driveline geometry - it was hard to pass up a good deal on a barely used winch when it came up.  I mentioned this because it was a consideration for me. It's at leas worth taking a look at things before you buy. maybe it's not an issue.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ford_man

My Uni-forest is offset and I now put the bottom links as low as I can put them. I twisted the PTO shaft off when I forgot to disengage the PTO and raised it. It is in a real bind when raised.

g_man

Quote from: John Mc on March 22, 2015, 06:22:56 PM
g_man -

It's possible I have that number wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw one of the last 290s they carried before dropping them. I also don't know if there were changes to the design over the years. This was also more than 7 years ago, and I'm going by memory. He showed me how on the 351, the PTO input was straight behind the tractor's PTO output shaft. On the 290 (if that was the number), the PTO input shaft on the winch was offset to the right side (as you face forward on the tractor), creating a noticeable angle in the driveshaft. I was told they were seeing accelerated wear on the U-joints, particularly on those units which were seeing heavier use (apparently, the u-joints can take the angle at reduced loading?)

If I've got it wrong (either from failing memory, or because the design has changed since I considered them) I apologize for putting incorrect information out there. That's the reason I passed on the 290 years ago.  Of course, I ended up with a unit that had the same driveline geometry - it was hard to pass up a good deal on a barely used winch when it came up.  I mentioned this because it was a consideration for me. It's at leas worth taking a look at things before you buy. maybe it's not an issue.

Well I know you wouldn't want to put out erroneous info - that is the only reason I mentioned it. Maybe there was a change along the line. Here is mine. You can see the shaft is in line with the top link.

If it was changed I have no idea what version I have. I am glad I can lift the winch with the pto running because I often forget to turn it off when I start a skid. It does not complain in the least.

John Mc

Fordman -  I've never noticed mine coming even close to "twisting off".  I did have a problem intially, since I didn't cut my PTO shaft quite short enough - when I raised the 3 pt hitch, the shaft would contract as far as it could and bottom out. Fortunately, I caught it before it did any damage. I cut another inch off the shaft, and it's been fine ever since.

John Mc

Quote from: g_man on March 22, 2015, 07:14:14 PM
Here is mine. You can see the shaft is in line with the top link.

g_man -  actually, I can;t see the alignment from that picture. To see what I am talking about, you'd have to look down from above, so you could see the left/right alignment.

On the 351, the PTO input on the winch is directly below the toplink.  On the 290 I saw, the PTO input on the winch was off to one side.  It looks as though yours has certainly seen some use - if you haven't had any problems, then perhaps the descriptions of th eproblem I heard were over blown.

g_man

Quote from: John Mc on March 22, 2015, 07:21:53 PM
Quote from: g_man on March 22, 2015, 07:14:14 PM
Here is mine. You can see the shaft is in line with the top link.

g_man -  actually, I can;t see the alignment from that picture. To see what I am talking about, you'd have to look down from above, so you could see the left/right alignment.

On the 351, the PTO input on the winch is directly below the toplink.  On the 290 I saw, the PTO input on the winch was off to one side.  It looks as though yours has certainly seen some use - if you haven't had any problems, then perhaps the descriptions of th eproblem I heard were over blown.

:D  :D   I guess I can see it because I know what it looks like from above. I hope you believe me because I am not lying to you.  :D  :D

47sawdust

BAP,
That Farmi 290 is a very good winch .My bro.has owned one for close to 25 years,virtually trouble free.The shaft comes straight out the back.He owns an L2250.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

BAP

Thanks guys, good information. I will have to work on finding prices and the best deal this week.

GDinMaine

I used a tractor similar to yours for a couple of years and they are very capable.  The following is only my personal opinion.
With a tractor that size I suggest getting the smallest logging winch you can find.  The FX65 can pull more then 2x the weight of your tractor and it would easily turn it on it's side.  Even the smallest winch will pull a sizeable log and it does not take too big of a stick to present a challenge to a tractor like B2920.  The smaller winch - being lighter - will also allow you to lift a heavier load with the 3 point hitch. That comes in handy getting log buts off the ground while skidding.
Good luck
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

nas

I used to run my fx65 on a 16hp kubota b7100. It worked ok but would get pulled around a little by the winch so I had to be careful that the log I was winching didn't get hung up on something

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BAP

Timberlinetree How do you like the Fransgard 3004? I looked at a Fransgard but a larger one because the dealer didn't have the 2 smallest models in stock. Their prices are much cheaper, but I wondered if there was a sacrifice for the savings.

timberlinetree

It has been real handy and trouble free so far. Because of the design, the PTO shaft cannot be lowered down real far or it will fall off. I think this model may have been designed for older tractors with longer 3 pt hitch arms? It really hasn't been a problem for us, though, and really has to be lowered quite a bit to fall off. Its possible I may not have cut the shaft exactly right, too! Good luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BAP

Decided to buy the Farmi JL290 winch. The dealer has it in stock and I think it fit on my tractor better than the Wallenstein. They have to get it ready to go so hopefully I will have it by next weekend.

g_man

Good for you on your new winch. I know you will be very happy with it.

gg

BAP

Thank You Sponsors!