iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A cheap, simple, plywood floor

Started by Ocklawahaboy, March 16, 2015, 07:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

A FF member asked me to shoot him these pics.  I decided to post them for everyone. This is not meant to be a spit and polish job. Just something simple, nice looking and cheap.  It was about $200 for everything needed to do the job and covers about 140 sq/ft.  One day installation, by myself.

My wife had been in an old house that just had finished pine plywood floors.  She liked it and wanted that in our guest room.  We already had low grade pine plywood for the subfloor and I really didnt want to try to make that look nice.  Had paint all over it, big knots etc etc.  I went out and got some 3/16 birch plywood for about $20/sheet.  The job took 5 sheets with some left over.  I arranged them so that, except for one small corner piece, all of the joining edges were factory cuts and my cuts were under the base boards.  Put some liquid nails down and carefully measured and squared up some nails to hold it down.  3 coats of poly with sanding in between each coat and I called it good.  The house has a 1x4 plank with a 1" thick plywood over it for the sub-floor.  It made a very stable base for this thin plywood.  The pictures below are after 5 years of no maintenance and 2 dogs running all over it.

I couldn't get much of the floor in the pic without a bunch of mess in it too.

Here are a couple showing the edges.

yukon cornelius

that looks great! I love simple ideas
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Southside

My 1st house had the same flooring with OSB ceilings that had poly on them.  I would re-poly the floors every few years.  Then there was the dark wall paneling, board and batten siding and tongue and groove white pine cabinets,  my wife would have never lived there  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jueston

the floor appears to be holding up quite well, my construction company did something similar, a design studio wanted 4by4 pieces of plywood(which were really 47 by 47 so that we could get 2 per sheet) of plywood which we laid down with rows off set like bricks, and each one turned 90degrees from the one before, it made a really cool pattern, but in a commercial setting with hundreds of people walking over it with there salty dirty shoes everyday it has really started to show its age, and they work weekends so they never want to shut down to have it refinished. but the rough floors kinda works with there atmosphere...

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!