iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insurance? License? Training?

Started by Evergreen Man, March 15, 2015, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evergreen Man

We recently purchased a portable mill, and I want to be able to buy standing timber from the area and fall it myself. But i've only ever fell trees on our own property and have no idea what it takes to be able to legally fell tree's on some one else's property in Canada, or where to find the info. Could  some one point me in the right direction?
Thanks! ;D
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

Sheepkeeper

If you are operating a chainsaw on someone else's property you will need a chainsaw safety course certificate even if you are just cutting for yourself. Liability insurance is an absolute must as well to protect yourself and the property owner. If you google "chainsaw safety course" you should be able to find one in your area. There are even some online courses. This should get you started on your quest.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Skidder Kev

I'm with sheepkeeper with the liability insurance and the chainsaw course.  I'm just guessing you want to buy more then a few trees when you said "standing timber" so I would check with the county office to see if you need to have it marked by a RPF or have a permit issued.  I have never logged in Grey bruce so don't know if they have a tree bylaw or not.  maybe @OntarioAl can add to this.

Kev

OntarioAl

Evergreen Man
Sheepkeeper and kculler have offered some sound advice but they have just skimmed the surface.
My first suggestion for you would to be contact local loggers and buy your logs from them it will be simpler and cheaper in the long run.
But if you want to purchase standing timber and fall it yourself here are a few points to consider (for brevity I will not go into detail).
1/ Insurance. You have to have liability insurance and some form Workers  Compensation Insurance for any employees and disability insurance for yourself.
2/Power saw Operation. Since this will be a "logging" enterprise on land you do not own this means that you must get certified as a Professional Chainsaw Operator.
This is now considered a trade and you must deal with The Ministry of Training Colleges  and Universities 
3/Counties and/or Rural Municipalities can enact bylaws that place restrictions on harvesting timber. The Province now has Species at Risk legislation. Contact the local Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and they should be able to answer some of your questions.
4/ Buying Standing Timber You are dealing with the landowner or their representative. Get a signed and witnessed contract covering every aspect (access, working times, trees to be cut, scaling, prices and payment method, dispute resolution slash disposal etc. etc. etc.).
5/ Cutting, skidding, road and landing construction, water crossings loading and hauling, road and bridge weight restrictions, lots of things to consider. 
If you are only sawing small volumes as a sideline pay top dollar and buy quality logs from someone already in the business.
On the other hand if you are serious about getting into the logging and sawmilling business I think that I have given you a list (and by no means complete) of things to consider.
Good Luck in your endeavor
Al

Al Raman

Evergreen Man

Thats some good food for thought, thanks guys! I'm just planning small scale. (for now) Good Sawlogs are apparently a premium in my area, I've got plenty of time in the winter and it should be worth my while to get all my ducks in a row.  :)
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

Straightgrain

Quote from: Evergreen Man on March 20, 2015, 11:09:05 PM
Thats some good food for thought, thanks guys! I'm just planning small scale. (for now) Good Sawlogs are apparently a premium in my area, I've got plenty of time in the winter and it should be worth my while to get all my ducks in a row.  :)

Should be.....??
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Thank You Sponsors!