iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mammy's desk

Started by yukon cornelius, March 15, 2015, 12:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

Today was my wife's birthday, she had put a desk on her wish list a while back so like any other man would do, I bought a log and made this I think she liked it  ;D It was so much fun I am going to turn around and make another

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

samandothers

That is cool!  Great look she will be proud of that!   How did you do the joints? Dowel, mortise, pocket?

rooster 58

That is amazing!  Very nice and very unique! I'll bet Poston would give 300.00 for it ;)

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

yukon cornelius

I had plans of dowels or pockets from underneath but in the end I simply butted them up drilled through the top and sides and countersunk the screws enough to put dowels plugs. Would that still be pockets?  The next one I think I will fancy the joining up a bit. since it is all 2 inch thick the butt joints seem to be strong enough. I made a brace to go between the center section but after assembling I realized it was not needed. I climbed on the top and danced around and there wasn't even a wiggle so I left it out. 8) after I finished it yesterday morning, she decided I needed to put the new window in the office for the desk to go under. as I sit at her desk looking out the big window at the beautiful sunny morning I know she was right  ;D as always

beenthere

And a pic of the new window is... ??  Look forward to seeing it...

Keep up the good work on the desks.  You are a busy man.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is a nifty desk and your talent shows through again.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

landscraper

That's a very creative idea for a desk, never seen one like it before.  I'm sure not only will she like it, but so would lots of people if they saw it.  I see you are one Etsy, how is that working out for you? 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

samandothers

Thanks for sharing pictures and methods!

Andy White

Larry,
Those "out of the box" ideas just keep coming! That one is really cool. Did you know it would be a desk when you cut the log? My thinking is too linear for that kind of projects. Keep up the good work, and stay safe!   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Larry,

Very creative.  One of a kind.  I like it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

Lasndscraper we have been on etsy for a year and 4 days. I was ready to give it up and had really wrote it off. we had just 31 sales in 2014. Then in January of this year a switch went on and we have had 39 orders already this year. It keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I make things I want to make the way I want to make them. im not saying I don't make anything similar to someone else's, but I just don't use plans and I really hate to copy things. I like giving things my own style. If I don't enjoy making it, then it wont turn out good. Is that a great plan for business.....6 months ago I would have said no. now we are still not tearing up the market or getting any extra saved up but our bills have been paid by this and I see a future. This time last year it was pretty scary financially. this year feeling blessed.

I don't even put 10% of what I make on here just because Im not great at taking pictures especially when im working.

Andy, I went looking for the right log for the desk. I knew it was a desk when I saw the log. I knew it was perfect because it  was the exact length. I wanted a 30 inch tall desk with a 60 inch top around 20 inches wide.  The log was 6.5 feet and had a chainsaw cut halfway through. very little taper and 22-24 inches wide.  I cut my live edge slab side and my next 2 inch slab and then I could tell my next slab was going to clear the chainsaw cut and end up being 6.5 ft long. it was a good thing too because if I had stuck to the 60 inch top idea it wouldn't look right.

Im glad you guys like it.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: beenthere on March 15, 2015, 02:38:52 PM
And a pic of the new window is... ??  Look forward to seeing it...

Keep up the good work on the desks.  You are a busy man.

I didn't take any of the window. I will take some eventually when I have more than just insulated studs to look at.
Most of our house is un finished. :(  but comfy and liveable

21incher

Beautiful creative build. I bet mammy is a very happy woman after receiving that gift and you know the old saying " Happy mammy, happy family".  :) :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You really inspire me Yukon. Very nice work.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

If your mammy doesn't like it mine would love it  ;).  Very nice work as always.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bhall

That is absolutely beautiful, first rustic desk I have seen, thank you for sharing
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

Thank You Sponsors!