iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

P41 kill switch problem

Started by Bobsaw, March 14, 2015, 10:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobsaw

Hi I have a p41 saw made in the 1980s I replaced the cylinder and piston, the kit came with a new flywheel and coil the instructions said they had to changed for the new cylinder,after installing them the on / off switch no longer works the saw will start with the switch in the on or off position it will not shut when you put the switch to off.
I checked the wires and they are all connected none are broken.
Not sure how to test the switch only has 1 wire going to it. When I pull the wire off the switch and ground it to the metal housing the saw shuts off. Not sure if I have something wired wrong?
Maybe someone has some ideas,a wiring diagram from an original p41.
Thank You for your help.

JohnG28

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like either the kill switch is bad or maybe the ground for the kill switch is bad? If touching the wire attached to the ground switch kills the engine I think you have it set up right but something is preventing it from grounding to kill the engine. Good luck with it!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

+1  Agree that John has your answer. Somehow the switch is not grounded, maybe a fiber washer or a gasket is isolating it.

And welcome to the FF. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bobsaw

Thank you John and beenthere you were right handle were kill switch is was not grounded,because of the the rubber anti vib bushing in the handle mounting, connected wire from block to handle and kill switch works fine thanks again for your help.

JohnG28

Glad you got it figured out.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Glenn

Bobsaw - where did you get the kit for the p41?  I have a p52 that i love and always wonder where i will get parts if i ever need them.

Bobsaw

Hi Glenn I got them from a company called Rottman Sales in Moline Michigan.
Very nice guy, he may have the parts you need.
www.rottmansales.com

Glenn

Bobsaw - Thanks !!  He had a great parts diagram !!

Thank You Sponsors!