Flooring with Wood-Mizer

Started by skrettis, March 14, 2015, 05:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrettis

GigaWide flooring project

After upgrading WM LT15 with this meter:

[/img]

I do perfectly saw-cuts, each time :-)

My best upgrade along with an extra 195cm saw-bench.  8)
WM LT15 electric - Logosol PH260

Chuck White

Nice upgrade, and welcome to the Forestry Forum, skrettis!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Pa Pa Jack

OK, I'll admit I"m a dummy and a newbie. What the heck is that and what does it do?

beenthere

Quote from: Pa Pa Jack on March 14, 2015, 08:44:31 AM
OK, I'll admit I"m a dummy and a newbie. What the heck is that and what does it do?

PPJack  Are you referring to the blade tension pressure gauge shown in the pic above?  or something else?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Pa Pa Jack

Being new to all of this, I had no idea what a tension pressure gauge looked like. I understand the idea behind it, but have no idea what one looks like or how you determine the correct amount of tension to use in a particular situation.

Magicman

Just remember that when you ask, there probably were several others wondering the same thing.  The only dumb questions on the FF are the unasked ones.  You are doing fine.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

schmism

ah blade tension gauge... couldnt for the life of me figure out what i was looking at ... (other than a hydrualic pressure gauge)

so do you notice the blade tension changeing as the blade ages?   how much does it change?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Magicman

The gauge does not measure blade tension, just the pressure needed to reach the proper tension.

The gauge allows you to adjust and consistently maintain the proper blade tension.  The pressure changes very little during the course of sawing, unless the blade starts to dull, stretches, and you start loosing pressure.  It will sometimes increase if there is a buildup of sawdust between the blade and the bandwheel.

Blade tension is a broad subject. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

its amazing just how much the pressure changes, thats how i gauge my blade quality and if i need to increase fluid to the blade. depending what i'm cutting the pressure will drop 500 psi through the cut. some of the material i cut i can't use water or very little so the blade heats up and stretches real fast :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Philngruvy

Quote from: Magicman on March 14, 2015, 01:32:05 PM
Just remember that when you ask, there probably were several others wondering the same thing.  The only dumb questions on the FF are the unasked ones.  You are doing fine.   :)

Yep, I was one of them.  So how does it actually work.?  What is it connected to?
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

Dave H.

cool! is tht mill mobile and electric?

Magicman

Mine is a fairly simple arrangement.  A hand screw pushes a piston into a hydraulic fluid filled chamber.  The hydraulic pressure pushes another piston out which pushes the band wheels apart thus tightening the blade.  The gauge measures the pressure inside of the chamber.

This is a picture of me adding fluid to mine.  The hand screw is in the foreground and the piston is seen in the background on the right.  It is the center shiny thing.

Philngruvy

So is this an upgrade which can be purchased from WM or does it take a mechanical wizard (which I am not)to design and build it for the LT15?
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

Magicman

I have never seen an LT15 tensioner, but I seriously doubt that the LT40 blade tensioning mechanism could be readily adapted to an LT15. 

Let's let the OP chime in with more about his modification.

woodmills1

I miss the tensioner on my old 40.  The 70 has an air bladder and a flip level
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dean herring

Does the electric have plenty of power. I am looking to get the lt15 wide electric. Are you pleased. Welcome to the forum.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

skrettis

Quote from: dean herring on March 14, 2015, 11:49:18 PM
Does the electric have plenty of power. I am looking to get the lt15 wide electric. Are you pleased. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, I love this electric woodmizer. - On some very hard wood (like a old Birch) you have to spin up the blade fully before using it. - Then its perfect. 

skrettis

Quote from: Magicman on March 14, 2015, 08:17:46 PM
I have never seen an LT15 tensioner, but I seriously doubt that the LT40 blade tensioning mechanism could be readily adapted to an LT15. 

Let's let the OP chime in with more about his modification.

Magicman, I was told that this replacement tensioner where from a LT40, an that all new LT15 have this as standard, here in Scandinavia.

The price was only 140USD!!

skrettis

Quote from: Philngruvy on March 14, 2015, 08:00:22 PM
So is this an upgrade which can be purchased from WM or does it take a mechanical wizard (which I am not)to design and build it for the LT15?

It was purchased from WM.  - I guess that the part# is that you see on the picture.  You can change this yourself within 15 minutes ;D

Magicman

customsawyer

Quote from: woodmills1 on March 14, 2015, 10:28:21 PM
Interesting, I will take the tensioner on the LT70 over the LT40 any day of the week. Don't make me right just makes us different.  WM has had me test several different types of tension devices for the LT 70 but I always put my flip/cam style back on. It is quick and easy to adjust just the way I like it. ;D
I like the air bag on the 70 also as I don't have to make adjustments while sawing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: customsawyer on March 22, 2015, 08:19:13 PM
Quote from: woodmills1 on March 14, 2015, 10:28:21 PM
Interesting, I will take the tensioner on the LT70 over the LT40 any day of the week. Don't make me right just makes us different.  WM has had me test several different types of tension devices for the LT 70 but I always put my flip/cam style back on. It is quick and easy to adjust just the way I like it. ;D
I like the air bag on the 70 also as I don't have to make adjustments while sawing.

Where is the needle on the gage with the air bag?
And can you adjust the cam?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!