iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hi Cube Reefer Kiln Build

Started by YellowHammer, March 13, 2015, 11:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

After much thought and planning, I finally decided to start my shipping container kiln build, so thought I'd start a new thread of the project.  

Last weekend, the big day arrived, my decommissioned non working hi cube reefer arrived from Georgia, and was unloaded in a temporary location by my barn so it would be convenient to work on.
Its a little beat up, but the price was right.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

What is the load size that that (Tom) container will handle?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Glenn1

I'll be anxious to see the progress on your new Kiln.  Will you be using a Nyle system again?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

69bronco

Ga_Boy

Will share a lesson I learned the hard way when I built a kiln from a shipping container.

Make all conduit runs on the outside and place your fan and light shitches on the outside.  Mine were on the inside, had to replace switches ever 3-4 months.  The conduit had a hard time standing up to th high humidity and heat.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on March 14, 2015, 07:55:24 AM
What is the load size that that (Tom) container will handle?
I'm going to construct it so that it will can do about 3.5 Mbf of hardwood and 1.5 Mbf of softwood.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

Do you have a schematic of how you will lay out the inside of the container?  Where will the dehumidification unit be located?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

the way my pea brain works, the path your taking seems alot more difficult than a stick built kiln :) looking in from the outside i'm sure you have plenty of reasons for this path.
good luck  it will  be an interesting thread.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Glenn1

Here are some drawings that Hank sent me before his retirement.

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

YellowHammer

The graphic is generally what I'm planning, but there are some design changes I'm contemplating, based on conversations with a bunch of folks and even the guys at Nyle.
YellowHammerisms:

WDH

If you don't have a full load end to end, just a partial load, looks like baffling can be a challenge. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Here is a loading technique that I have seen used for over 30 years.  Make a track out of angle iron, mounted so the "V" shape is inverted.  Use a few metal spacers to keep the two tracks spaced the required distance apart.  Then use pulled for wheels and mount these wheels on a small frame.  If you load is four feet wide, space the tracks three feet apart.  Have a portable track extension that fits on the end of the track when the door is open, for loading and unloading.

Ouse canvas for baffles.  Fasten a two foot wide roll to the ceiling.  Then unroll the sections you need and use a weight on the bottom to hold down.

Ok?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Ga_Boy

Used the track system Gene described in my container kiln chamber.  It worked well. I have drawings of the cart design, it's a Word file.  Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the drawing.

WDH

You are going to have more dry lumber than you can shake a stick at (old saying). 

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on March 17, 2015, 07:23:04 AM
If you don't have a full load end to end, just a partial load, looks like baffling can be a challenge.  
Yes, that's one of the problems with a linear kiln configuration.  

YellowHammerisms:

customsawyer

I'll be keeping a eye on this one.  :P
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ga_Boy

I used two pieces of 3" angle iron where Nyle specs two pieces of 4" channel iron.  My cart was 18 feet long, I had 8 casters on each side, one side had grooved casters to ride on the top of 1.5" angle
To determine the load of each caster, I determined the weight of  2MBF of green white oak, then divided by 16 (number of casters on cart).  This determined what weight capacity of each caster.  Consider getting casters with zero fittings, and use a high temperature grease.  Th axels for each caster was a .75" stainless steel bolt with a lock nut.  Instead of using the wood bunks to tie the two sides of the cart together, I used 1.5" angle iron and welded it in place.  This allows you to make adjustments to the bunks to sit each lumber pack on.  My fork lift did not have side shift on the carriage, so being able to adjust each bunk saved time by not having to be precise each time I sat a kiln charge on the cart. 

As Gene mentioned, you will have to build a removable bridge between the chamber and track that is out side the kiln.

Now,   When you stack lumber, set up a bunk with sticker supports in the same configuration (distances between each) as your kiln cart.  I used a forklift to move lumber packs from the stacking bunk to the kiln cart.

Two ways to get the cart in the kiln.  I used my tractor with a fork lift attachment on the front-end loader.  I moved the forks to the middle and pushed the cart in to the chamber.  Another option is to anchor a pulley inside the kiln.  Attach one end of the line to the cart, Then run the line inside the kiln around the pulley and to your forklift/tractor/support equipment.  Then pull the cart in to the chamber. 

Weld a stop to the track system in the kiln so you do not run the cart off the end of the track.

Regarding keeping the cart on the track when the cart is loaded; I never had an issue with the cart trying to jump the track.  To align the angle iron, I used string to lay it as straight as I could then welded it in place. 

Hopefully this is not too confusing. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Regarding loading, I have seen both methods tha GA_Boy mentioned, plus i have seen a long, stiff pole attached to the cart and lift...it can be used for both loading and unloading.

Note that a moving cart with two MBF is over 10,000 pounds green with lots of momentum, so the stop at the end of the track must be substantial indeed.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

It's here!  The kiln arrived on a pallet.  Some assembly required. ;D

It's good to be able to get going, I'm excited to start putting things together.  I've been doing prep work, getting gravel in, running electricity to the new kiln site, and trying to make sure I've got things lined up.  

Hopefully, I'll start putting things together next week, after work. I won't be able to spend much weekend time on it, between the retail sales and sawing.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I assume that the dehumidification unit was made for use in Australia or New Zealand  :D.   

Glenn1

That's a very impressive pallet load.  Congratulations and good luck!

pine

Nice going. Continuing to monitor as I am getting ready to start up my build.

dean herring

Can't wait to see some picsof your progress. Been down again with a bout with pneumonia. Went out for first time today to enjoy the sunshine. Good luck
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Peter Drouin

Nice to see you spend money you make on equipment for the business. Not every one does that. I do, and think I have it all then I need more.  :D :D :D :D  Are you going to hire help too?
I think the goat has a good man he wants to let go. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!