iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are any Forum members using Fitbit?

Started by Jeff, March 13, 2015, 03:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just wondered. I picked one up a week or so ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

I'm using Fitbit, Jeff. They're a neat little gadget. Trying for 10,000 steps. Often get 15,000 plus, but some days, not quite 10,000.  The graphs are neat on the mobile phone.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

Which one did you get?  I have the Charge HR.  I like the idea of the continuous heart rate monitoring. it allows you to know how strenuous the level of your activity, and with the resting heart rate recording, it will in time let you know if you are actually making a difference, as a lower resting heart rate typically means a higher level of fitness.

NWP

I use the small pocket one. The city I work for has a wellness program that gives us "discounted" insurance rates if we get a certain number of points. The fitbit is one way to get the points. I could usually get 10,000 per day. Running a skid steer will really rack them up in a hurry.  ;D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Holmes

I had the small clip on unit for 1.5 years til it went thru the wash.   I average 4 to 7 miles a day with my work and a couple of times over 100 flights of stairs.  The sleep tracker really surprised me.  I found out I was waking up 30 to 50 times a night. No wonder I'm tired. I'm thinking of getting a new one.
Think like a farmer.

Magicman

I guess that I am sheltered.  I had to Google it.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

As I say Magicman,I don't get off the hill much.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Magicman and thecfarm, you are both in what I would call good company, when I saw this posting I figured it was some sort of website mangers tool or something. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

drobertson

Yep, I figured if I read through enough posts I would find out all about fitbit ;D  did not realize this tracks your sleep habits, that would be interesting ,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

Fit bit is in my future.  . . Recently hospitalized for 3 days with a fib atrial fibrillation. . . Abnormal Heart. Rythm
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Holmes

I came to the conclusion that they track sleep habits by movement.  If you move you are not asleep. I wore the fitbit on my wrist in a Velcro bracelet.. Every Time you moved it register the movement and the time of the movement. Very surprising results. The new fitbits are better than the one I had a couple of years ago.
Think like a farmer.

Jeff

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Sleep-tracking-FAQs

Depending on the device, it uses heart rate and movement. Actually, it uses the lack of movement to track sleep as well as programing to compensate for typical sleep movement after sleep is indicated.

red oaks lumber

iv'e been looking at these for some time. what do you guys do with the information? lifestyle change , diet change or other? just gathering info without acting on the findings seems  it would be  of little help :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

Just a another thing to think about. My head is full with how to run a lumber yard. I'll pass.  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Holmes

That was an interesting article. That info was not there 2 years ago.  They have made a lot of progress with the fitbit units
Think like a farmer.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jeff on March 15, 2015, 12:26:34 PM
I wasn't recruiting.  :)

I know, :D :D :D
It just seems there's a new gizmo comes out and everyone gets one. Then after a week or two It gets put in a draw. Like going to the dump and seeing all the exercise equipment. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Quote from: red on March 15, 2015, 08:42:06 AM
Fit bit is in my future.  . . Recently hospitalized for 3 days with a fib atrial fibrillation. . . Abnormal Heart. Rythm

I was too, back in '05, been taking coumadin ever since.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

A week ago this last Sunday I started showing the full blown signs of having the flu. I had been feeling very tired a couple days before that, but not actually sick. Since that Sunday I've been up and down, and then again this past weekend had a relapse. Just the last couple days I have started feeling better, but still have some coughing and congestion, but feel I'm actually on the mend.   I was just looking at my fitbit stats, and thought it very interesting that my resting heart rate graph, was almost an exact indicator of the days and how I felt.  :)

coxy

this would not work for me my wife says I have no heart  :D :D

Mooseherder

I've had it bad this week also.  I went to Minor Emergency doc on Sunday and was prescribed zpac, some cough gels and an inhaler.  I've never had it this bad before.  I tried everything to get better Monday because my plate was full at work the rest of the week.  I barely made it thru Tuesday.  Better this morning but work keep kicking me backwards.  My chest has weird sounds coming from it.  Like a symphony in there.

Babylon519

I started using MyFitnessPal last August. It tracks your diet and exercise and gives a very accurate picture of the carbs, fat, sodium, etc. in your diet and let's you know when you've gone over your daily goals. The neat thing about it is that you can track the calories you burn doing everyday things like wood splitting, tractor work, chainsawing for three hours in the bush, cutting the grass with a riding mower, as well as the standard walking, running, swimming, etc. I really like seeing the trade-off between chopping wood for 10 minutes longer, or eating another yogurt cup! After 2 months of using MyFitnessPal daily, I had learned enough that I have been able to lose a pound a month, and I'm going to keep trying do that for another 30 months!! MyFitnessPal works great with things like the FitBit, although I haven't gotten one of those yet. I'm not recruiting either, I just want to make my old-age years go a little better!  :-\ - Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

beenthere

Bummer Jeff.
Does the fitbit have a "forecast" button to hit, to see what is coming?  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

I was given a Vivofit by Garmin for Christmas.  Kinda addicting.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Southside logger on March 14, 2015, 10:00:50 PM
Magicman and thecfarm, you are both in what I would call good company, when I saw this posting I figured it was some sort of website mangers tool or something.

i thought it was some kind new wood working tool/drill bit :-[ :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!