iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pics of my indoor mill

Started by yukon cornelius, March 12, 2015, 11:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

Quite a while back I posted about moving mill inside my shop. The other day I got my shop cleaned up enough to not be as embarrassed and today I got some pics of that and 

my post crane I built handling that log for me  ;D 

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hacknchop

8)Nice, thats what I want to do milling inside would be great.Bet your happy good for you! 8)
Often wrong never indoubt

ozarkgem

Nice job Larry. Did you log those logs or buy them? Looks like they will make some nice table top slabs.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

bandmiller2

Very nice, its good to have yourself and your mill in a comfy building. Nice hoist, I hope its on a track so the logs can be unloaded and pushed to the mill and turned. Be a little nervous about exhaust fumes, an exhaust fan in one peak and an open door should do the deed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Well, your head will be dry how, Good job  8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dboyt

Nice to have the mill indoors.  I agree with Bandmiller about the exhaust.  If you've got 220V out there, I'd think about putting an electric motor on it.  How do you handle sawdust?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Glenn1

The question about sawdust is what hit me too.  I really like the idea of milling inside but wonder about sawdust.  Even if you used a blower sending the sawdust outside, I wonder how much of it stays in the air for you to breath?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

yukon cornelius

Ozarkgem, these are bought logs. it appeared as it had some rot inside so I was able to get it for $20. opened it up and nice and clear! the rot goes in about 5 inches from the butt.

I am pretty cautious with the fumes. that doesn't mean there couldn't be a problem though. at the end of the track is the 10x 12 door. I open it wide before starting. aimed at the door is a 4 foot fan fed by fresh air from right behind from a walk door. I also rarely cut more than one log at a time as board storage is an issue. I just cut what I need at a time. An electric motor would be a good addition but I have a long term goal of going solar here and im afraid it might overtax my system in the future.

As for dust, the big fan takes care of most all airborne dust. I placed thick plastic under the mill to be able to sweep up any that goes to the ground. I don't have concrete floor yet so cleanup is always more challenging.

a trolley on the hoist is my next addition.  the arm on the hoist does rotate on the upright post. it would go 360 degrees if not for the wall. I was able with that log to back straight in the door which is at the end of the track. lift the log straight up, rotate the cranes arm to the left to set it directly on the track. 

woodworker9

I say this with caution, as I don't want it to sound like I'm preaching, but I feel I have something to add to this discussion regarding sawdust and safety:

As a guy who has earned his living as a woodworker for almost 30 years now, I have spent my life in sawdusty environments.  My respiratory system began developing a resistance and intolerance to this, and in 2009, I found myself in critical condition in our local hospital.  I developed double pneumonia, and my lungs nearly shut down.  If you can believe it, my oxygenation levels in my blood went below 10%.......normal is over 90%.  Anyway, thanks to a great pulmonologist, I am alive today.

If your mill is like mine, is makes a lot of sawdust. :D :D  If you're milling inside, you seriously need to wear a good respirator.  A lot of the species of trees we all mill have natural toxins in them that go airborne when we cut them......walnut is just one of many that can cause serious irritation to the respiratory system.   Milling spalted lumber is another way of getting back stuff breathed in....

Just a word of caution from a guy who's lucky to still be here to be able to tell you about it.  It can turn serious and all go wrong in a blink of an eye.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Glenn1

Thanks Jeff.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and giving a recommendation on "clean breathing". 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

yukon cornelius

ThanksJjeff, I have been taking some steps lately to aid in my health and safety. I started wearing safety glasses ALMOST all the time working and hearing protection ALMOST all the time. I also run a fan constantly with a simple air filter system hooked to it. I have dust masks but they don't cut it. I had looked into a replaceable cartridge respirator a while back and it is on the wish list.Moving indoors was for another portion of my health and that is my failing back. indoors  I can use my hoist to move the logs and turn them without manhandling them. im almost 40 and thinking about maybe trying to live longer and maybe feeling better at that older age  ;D I wish I would have listened a long time ago.

Thanks for caring enough to share concerns!

Magicman

If you wear a dust mask instead of a respirator, it needs to have an exhalation valve to prevent moisture buildup inside.  Such as this: Dust Mask
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!