iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gettin her back going again

Started by 4x4American, March 12, 2015, 08:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Weren't we just talking about hydraulic cylinders rusting?  :D

Opened up this box, and three mice were looking at me.  They were pack right in here.  Looked nice and cozy for a mouse to be..anyways they ate up alot of the wires in there, which then corroded them.  And it stunk too!

Here's what I pulled up to.

On the way home I seen this Timber Harvester on the side of the road so I whipped in.  Ended up hanging out shooting the bull with the guy for a couple hours.  The TH looked so very similar to the Cook's AC-36.

They should both be joining the forum here shortly!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Neglect is a bad thing.  That old Cook looks weary and will take much TLC to bring her back to life, but the effort will be worthwhile. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Yup.  This thing has been sitting since 1997 or so.  It has 9 hours on the meter.  The overflow tank on the radiator was broken from the sun, when I went to take it off it crumpled.  Luckily he had a new one, which, didn't come with a cap!  I guess you really gotta be specific when you order these sorts of things.  It's a VW engine, from what I recall, 58 ponies. 
Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

Know about field rats. When I went to saw a couple days ago, I had one started a nest in the blade cover. Got that clear and started to cut and then I had a ribbon snake come out the handle right at my hand. ;D Didn't miss a stroke. 8) My mill only sat still for about a week and one half.

Corley5

She's rough for sure but will saw again  8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

fishfighter, you made me go and do a refresher on Ribbon, Garter, and Rat snakes.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

While we're on the subject of snakes, I seen this guy when I was driving up to our crusher/screener today.  Stopped to have a look.  Not a snake expert by any stretch of the imagination.  Anyone know what kind it is?  If it was a copperhead I'd have cut it's head off and tossed it in my scrap pile.

Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

A harmless Spreading Adder. (Hog Nose snake)  LINK

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure whose bright idea it was to design a bungee cord with the same markings as a snake, but he's not high on my list for any awards this week! >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logboy

Quote from: Corley5 on May 03, 2015, 02:09:18 PM
Or suggest he make the donation to Wounded Warriors  :) http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but as a wounded warrior, I'd like to note that there are far better organizations out there than WWP.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

stihltoomany

Please let us know which ones. Some of us aren't in the position to know details. But may be inclined to do something for the ones that served this country so bravely. I'm sure you know much more about these organizations than most of us. Like anything else we like to get our moneys worth.   Thanks
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2015, 04:23:09 PM
A harmless Spreading Adder. (Hog Nose snake)  LINK

Thanks, MM.  I like to be able to put a name to a face.

I second Stihltoomany, what is a good organization, logboy?  And thank you for your service to our great county.
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

Looks like it could be a Milk-Snake.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

There are many organizations that are dedicated to helping our Veterans in various ways and WWP is one of them.  I have personally heard testimonials from some of the WWP volunteers and attendees.

4x4American

The guy whose place I stopped in at with the timber harvester, he's running 1-1/2" blades with a 25 or 26 hp gas engine pulling it.  Is that about right?  We are trying to get him dialed in.  Also, does anyone know about where the tracking should be for 1-1/2"?  The bandwheels seem too narrow to fully support them.  The AC-36 was running 1-1/2" blades, but the wheels were wider too. 
Boy, back in my day..

logboy

When I was a patient at Walter Reed in 2007, recovering from the loss of my right arm in Iraq, the Wounded Warrior Project was a small, nimble organization that was effective at helping wounded troops.  A WWP rep would talk to me weekly and sit in on my occupational therapy appointments to see if they could help.  A couple years ago I noticed a drastic change in the opinions of other wounded warriors, especially those coming through Walter Reed.  Since then I have interviewed wounded warriors (I work part time as a writer) from coast-to-coast and everywhere in between, yet can't seem to find anyone in our wounded warrior community with a high opinion of the Wounded Warrior Project, or anyone who has been recently helped by the organization.  Over the years the organization became a giant fundraising behemoth with high-dollar pull-at-your-heart-strings commercials featuring paid celebrities.  The organization seems to have abandoned the virtue of selfless service upon which our military is based, paying rather high salaries to its staff, over 2 million per year on executives alone.  Throughout my interviews I noticed that opinions in the wounded warrior community range from mild annoyance to distrust of the organization.  I interviewed the wife of a fallen Navy SEAL who wanted to have a fundraiser for the organization but decided not to when representatives told her she would first have to pay a sizeable "brand" fee upfront, and the organization would not provide any funds to the families of the fallen Navy SEALs she wanted to help because they don't pay grants to individuals, only other organizations.  I spoke with a Marine amputee in Quantico who said their trips and outings have become nothing more than an excuse to get drunk on someone else's dime.  He told me he was so disgusted that he asked the organization to stop using his photo for fundraising, but they refused, citing the media release he signed.  While competing in the 2013 Warrior Games for the Army team, I asked a number of my fellow competitors what they thought of the organization.  I learned that the only people in the games who have ever been helped by the organization are those who appeared in their commercials (they don't sponsor the games, either).  The Tampa Bay Times dug into their financials and discovered that only 58% of their funds actually go to programs.  While that is better than some, it is far below other organizations like the Semper Fi Fund or Fisher House Foundation that give at least 90%. And as I mentioned previously, the organization does not actually give grants directly to wounded troops, only to other organizations that help the troops, like Operation Homefront.  This begs the question, why give to the Wounded Warrior Project and fund expensive commercials ($35 million in advertising last year) when you can give directly to those organizations and cut out the middle man? I hope that one day the organization sees serious reforms and begins using the incredible $155 million they brought in last year to help wounded troops more effectively. The wounded warrior community is pretty small. I know many of these people personally and was in the hospital with some of the head people in the WWP. Its a shame to see what happened to the organization. You can agree or disagree with what I've said here, but I guarantee there is not a person on this forum more qualified to speak on this matter than me.

Again, sorry to sidetrack the thread.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

barbender

Logboy, I didn't realize that you lost an arm. Thank you so much for your sacrifice, and I appreciate your perspective on this issue.
Too many irons in the fire

redprospector

Yes, thank you for your sacrifice and your service to our country and the rights that we enjoy.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

samandothers

Thank you for your service, sacrifice and the information. It was eye opening.

Magicman

Thank you logboy for the terrific insight into the WWP.  I am glad that I made my comment which prompted you to open up and give us such a detailed synopsis of where the organization has gone, but more importantly, where their $$$ actually go.  Such things are easily covered over so that the unknowing public does not have a clue.

I volunteered hoping that I would never see active duty.  You volunteered knowing that you probably would.  Again, I salute you Sir, and thank you for your service.  I would be honored to be your friend.

Bruno of NH

Logboy
My family thanks for your service .
Men like you make this country great !
Thank You
Jim /Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

zopi

Quote from: logboy on May 05, 2015, 05:00:56 PM
Quote from: Corley5 on May 03, 2015, 02:09:18 PM
Or suggest he make the donation to Wounded Warriors  :) http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but as a wounded warrior, I'd like to note that there are far better organizations out there than WWP.

Disabled American Veterans for starters...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Logboy is spot on...WWP started good, and rapidly fell to greedy parasites. Komen foundation is very similar, as is locks of love.

Social media is a right good way to research charities.  DAV rocks..they help lots of folks navigate the VA and it's vast stockpile of BureauRat BS...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!