iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size pad for an LT15?

Started by Pa Pa Jack, March 12, 2015, 08:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pa Pa Jack

I am seriously thinking about buying an LT15 with the diesel engine and one 6 foot extension. I would be using this at home only and would like to put in a concrete pad to mount it on. Can anyone suggest what size pad would be right? I don't want a huge pad, just one large enough to securely mount the mill on.

Jack

Lawg Dawg

Just right off hand, without actually measuring, I'd say 6' x 30'.
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

sprucebunny

Is just the mill going to be on the cement or do you want to walk on it and have the sawdust land on it ?
If you are not going to walk on it, the pad would be about as wide as the mill.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

jmouton

we made our pad for our lt-25,,14x30  and its not really big enough ,,  so  if  you do 6 x 30 ,,  make it 12 x 30  or  bigger   , in my opinion  its never  too big,  more concrete , less mud     

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

WDH

Walking on the sawdust covered ground is easier on the body than walking on concrete.  However, like Jim pointed out, a large concrete pad is much easier to maintain.  If the mill is stationary, raise it about 18" (knee high) off the ground level, and build a log deck to feed logs onto the mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Pa Pa Jack

My thoughts are to make a pad just large enough for the mill at first. I would like to put in the pad before I get the mill so I can assemble it right on the spot. Otherwise I would have to move it around to get it on the pad. If I determine that I want a larger pad at a later date, I can always add on. A 6 X 30 sounds about right but I was not sure. Raising it 18 inches would take a lot more figgurin. :) My goal is to have it stable enough that I don't have to readjust it from normal operating movements.

gfadvm

My pad is 15 x 30 and seems just right to me with plenty of room around the mill.  Unlike Danny, I set mine as low as I could to make loading logs easier with short ramps and cant hook.  The underside of my rails are just under 3" off the slab.

Then you'll need a roof!  I bought used chicken house trusses and sheet iron and built a very nice 16 x 40' clear span for under $1500.  There are lots of those trusses available and they come with legs so go up fast.

WDH

Mine is set up on purpose cut beams.  2x4's along the outside of the long bed rails keep the mill from moving off the beams.   

If you raise it much, you will have to make a log deck to load logs.  This is Sawmill American Gothic, sorta, @ Raider Bill style :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Pa Pa Jack

WDH lookin good!

gfadvm, My plan is to get the mill set up so I can harvest and cut a lot of the red cedar I already have on my property to build a "carport" of sorts over it. I have 25 acres with a lot of cedar, oak and yellow poplar. Several years ago I had a fella that wanted to buy all my cedar but we could not agree on a price or conditions. I feared he was going to make a real mess of my land in order to get the logs out. He counted about 150 large cedars that he wanted. That is what started my interest in getting a mill in the first place. I have a woodworking shop in my 28 x30 workshop and figured I could save enough in lumber costs to justify a mill. Now that I am retired, it would be one more hobby to p@#$ the wife off.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: WDH on March 12, 2015, 09:10:55 PM
Walking on the sawdust covered ground is easier on the body than walking on concrete.  However, like Jim pointed out, a large concrete pad is much easier to maintain.  If the mill is stationary, raise it about 18" (knee high) off the ground level, and build a log deck to feed logs onto the mill.

I agree, can't beat this advice..

and It's nice to work under a shed too!

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Dawg,

We are set up almost exactly same minus the log deck.

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on March 12, 2015, 10:07:05 PM
Mine is set up on purpose cut beams.  2x4's along the outside of the long bed rails keep the mill from moving off the beams.   

If you raise it much, you will have to make a log deck to load logs.  This is Sawmill American Gothic, sorta, @ Raider Bill style :D.

DanG I'm handsome 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 13, 2015, 09:08:26 AM
Quote from: WDH on March 12, 2015, 10:07:05 PM

DanG I'm handsome 8)

Well, we'll admit SOMEBODY in that picture is attractive... Just won't say it's you, Bill!

Herb

taylorsmissbeehaven

Consider sawdust removal. I set mine up about 12" off the ground and in no time flat your walking at the same level as the mill again!!! Keep in mind you'll want some way of dealing with it. I ended up having to cut some trees (closer to the mill than I would have liked) to make a path to get my tractor in. JMTC,Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Pa Pa Jack

I have about a 1/4 acre opening 80 yards behind the house that is perfectly level. that is where I am going to put the mill. Access is easy and quick and secure. The sawdust will go on my huge compost pile. I have it set up so I can turn it using the tractor and the FEL. The only issue I have is that clearing was going to be an apple orchard. Oh well, another thing to p!@s off the wife.    :D

jmouton

hey danny  , looks like you need to clean all the sawdust up , you got quite a mess going on,,,, that would drive me nuts ,,,  i try to keep a clean and organized mill operation ,,,   i  try  ,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Brad_bb

I would recommend you get at least 2 bed extensions for the LT15 so you can comfortably cut longer beams/boards if you need to.   If not under cover, you don't want the area where you walk turning to mud which is why I'd want it concrete.  it's also going to make sawdust cleanup a lot easier.  Where you walk is where it's going to dump the sawdust unless you have dust collection putting it somewhere else. 

Sawmills make a lot of dust.  As long as it's dry, and there isn't any black walnut at all in it, there are horse farms/owners who will take the dust for bedding.  For now that's how I'm getting rid of most of mine and a ton of planer shavings.  I just built a box that fits in the back of my pick up that I blow the planer chips into. It has a hinged door on one end that allows me to pull up, open the door, and rake out the shavings.  I fill a couple Rubbermaid "Brute" garbage cans with the fine dust from the mill and put them in the box and take over to the neighboring horse farm, where they gladly take it.  It's working out well so far.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

I still like da fork lift.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!