iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree question

Started by Evergreen Man, March 12, 2015, 10:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evergreen Man

First I would like to say: you guys are a great bunch, I think it's awesome that you all are so willing to help me out with my questions, I can't wait until I have enough experience under my belt to start helping out as well.  ;D

Now for the question:

Why can't poplar be Poplar? I know Poplar get's used in trim work and other applications and is considered a softer hardwood, but how do I know which one of the 20+ species is the one that grows around me? And how do I know if that species is good for lumber? ??? I know it's not "tulip Poplar" It could be "Big tooth poplar" Any thoughts? :)
I'm also going to have to learn how to tell the difference between poplar and bamf lol
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

Southside

Heck, if you think that is bad take a look at the oaks we have around here.  Red and White, pretty straight forward, then there is post, chestnut, and water, don't forget willow, and black oak (which is actually a type of red oak - just to keep it confusing).  Go just a bit east and south and you will find live oak, which is not to say the stuff dropping acorns on your head is dead, but it is not live oak....... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Then hop on into the Pines and Cedars.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BradMarks

You guys back east have too much variety for sure ;)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

We also have lots of Live Oaks up here in NY, but the only ones I've seen are Red Oak and White Oak, but they were alive!   :D :D :D :D

When they come to the sawmill, they are Dead Oak.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

This is a good site to look at the difference in the species in the genus Populus that grow in your area.  You can click on the links to the other species and compare.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=160
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Oak species diversity definitely increases the further South and East that you go.  On my property alone, I have:

Red Oak Group
Northern red oak
Shumard oak
Scarlet oak
Southern red oak
CHerrybark oak
Black oak
Water oak
Willow oak
Laurel oak
Blackjack oak

White Oak Group
White oak
Post oak
Swamp chestnut oak
Overcup oak
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shakebone

We get a lot of  :-X poplar !

Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

shortlogger

Then you get into regional nick names for trees I was in my mid 20's before I found out that a "Spotted Oak's" real name was  Northern Red Oak .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

dboyt

Then there's Osage orange, a.k.a. hedge, horse apple, hedge apple, monkeyball, bodark, and bodock-- depending on where you live.  Around here, its just the $#&@! thorn tree.  There's lots of different hickories, too... black, mockernut, bitternut, shellbark, shagbark, pignut, & swamp... plus pecan is also technically a hickory. 
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Evergreen Man

Quote from: WDH on March 12, 2015, 09:24:57 PM
This is a good site to look at the difference in the species in the genus Populus that grow in your area.  You can click on the links to the other species and compare.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=160

Thanks WDH that was very helpful :)
I think the main one's around us are: Big tooth aspen and Balsam Poplar. I haven't figured out what we call Bamf is yet tho  :D
The main thing about it is that it smells like crap when you cut it. smiley_airfreshener Literally, just like a pile of turd.
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

Southside

Is it also called Balmagilead? Not sure that is how to spell it but how it is pronounced. We had a tree we called that in northern Maine, also known locally as black poplar.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

shampjm1

The balmagilead grows around here to. Remember my dad cutting one down and water came out of the stump like a fountain. About a foot high. Strangest thing I ever saw. They get huge around here. Aren't they related to the cottonwood also?
Jim, millwright, industrial maintenance mechanic. Just got LT40HD. Part time sawyer for now.

Thank You Sponsors!