iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

removable log bunk ideas for 14 ft chevy c60

Started by brandonward6, March 11, 2015, 11:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandonward6

I have a chevy c60 with a grain bed. I would like a set of bunks which would set on top of the flatbed after harvest is over kinda like a multi purpose truck. what would be the best material and size and I load with a 50 hp Mahindra so I would like some sort of set up so that one side folded down and made ramps or was removeable for those big logs. and info and photos would be appreciated.

Southside

Assuming you are going to be traveling over a public road with this truck you need to take a look at the DOT specifications for log bolsters.  Obviously they need to be made out of steel, most are between 4" X 4" to 6" x 6" square tube, 1/4" to 3/8" wall thickness.  They need to be secured to the bed of the truck by some means of a bolt or pin, not just set into a stake pocket and I am pretty sure you will see that any sort of folding bolster will not be legal any longer for good reason.  That having been said you could build one where it was sectioned so that you can take off say 5' feet and leave 1' still on the truck this way you don't have to lift the log so high.  The sections could fit one into the other like a receiver hitch with a pin that holds them together.  May not be able to load a full load of really big logs but you could still accomplish all you are trying to do this way. 

Good luck. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Gary_C

Do not do what you want to do. Fold down and/or removable uprights are killers because there is no safe way to remove or fold down those uprights safely with logs behind the stakes.

Plus if you are loading or unloading trucks over stakes your ROPS must be strong enough to stop a log rolling down the raised loader arms before the logs gets to you. I can easily say your 50 HP tractor is not up to the task of lifting logs over stakes on a C60 truck bed.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

brandonward6

im not looking to unload logs this way as the log yard can unload them. im looking for a good way to load bigger logs without having to loft them as high or drop the bolsters so I can lay steel down and roll them up a ramp onto the truck with the tractor. The bunks will bolt to the bed they will not just be "sitting there" unsecure. As far as the tractor is concerened I am perfectly able to lift logs high enough to load them were talking 5 ft bunks not 8 or 10 footers. I would like to be able to drop one side and load a few big logs on the bottom then put the bolster up an finish it up with smaller logs on top

Ianab

The local full size trucks have a folding bunk system so they can load their trailers onto the truck for back hauling when they are empty. This saves them a heap of road tax and makes the empty rig easier to drive etc.

But what they  do is hinge the whole bunk so that both sides, and the cross member rotate, and fold either forward or back. This means that the "U" shape and strength of the bunk isn't compromised in any way.

You can see in that picture how the bunks on the truck have been folded flat under the trailer? But when they are stood up again, a pin put in place they as as secure as any other fixed bunk.

Is that something you could adapt to your needs?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

We had two types of movable bunks on our trucks.  I don't know how well it would adapt to your situation.  One was simply a 4x4 metal post that fit into a pocket.  They were light enough to take in and out by one guy, and they held loads.  We used them on a log trailer where we loaded lumber for delivery and brought logs back haul.  We did have a few that bent a little when the guys got rough on the unloading.  Used them for polewood and sawlogs.  When not in use, the uprights were stowed underneath the trailer.

The other ones were an I beam for the bottom and a piece of 6" well casing for the uprights.  They have to be braced, as they like to spread apart.  One guy could drag one around, but 2 guys were better.  We used them on flatbed trucks with the same delivery schedule.    Those were chained down to the bed of the truck. 

The first method was the easiest for us.  They came from the manufacturer that way. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Grizzly

Quote from: brandonward6 on March 11, 2015, 11:10:42 AM
I have a chevy c60 with a grain bed. I would like a set of bunks which would set on top of the flatbed after harvest is over kinda like a multi purpose truck. what would be the best material and size and I load with a 50 hp Mahindra so I would like some sort of set up so that one side folded down and made ramps or was removeable for those big logs. and info and photos would be appreciated.

Logs bigger than the Mahindra can lift? Or just large ones that you'd rather not lift too high?  I use a small wheel loader to unload logs from a big rig who's stakes go to 14'6" and my loader grapple maxes out at 10'9". I have hilly ground and a large bank by one driveway and so I set up railway ties to make a vertical loading dock. Truck pulls along side and I can keep the loader on solid ground and reach over the stakes safely. I'll try to post a picture if you want but perhaps that would work for you? I'll also caution on the folding idea. Unless they are done right they are not safe. And for you to get ones that are done right is probably not economical. Just my thoughts.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Ohio_Bill

these are bolt on and you can remove part of one side. Shorting the lift height.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Ed_K

By the time you buy the steel to build a set of bunks, you'd might be money ahead to put a grapple on a loader and load from the back. I did this when I hauled a few logs home with the old 1 ton.
Ed K

brandonward6

nice bunks ohio-bill about what i was thinking and dont look like ur too far from me over in point pleasant w. virginia.  the mahindra will lift that high but i hate to if i dont have too, just too hard on equipment. the ramp thing would work but i have a skidding winch for a tractor and plan on doing small wood lots here and there.

Oliver05262

Great Lakes Mfg has a system they call Alum-A-Log to convert a flatbed to haul logs. The crossbars insert into the stake pockets and the stakes go in afterwards. They DO NOT fold, for safety. It all stores under the trailer when not in use.
http://www.greatlakesmfg.com/alumalogffb.html
  Most of the trailers that haul from here are backhauling logs to Quebec after having brought lumber or other products to the states. Seems all of them have a system like this.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

shortlogger

I have bolt on drill stem bunks on my flat bed , on the side I load from I have short stakes and when I get all I can loaded I add my extensions that are one size bigger and slide over the stakes then I load the last few logs saving the smaller for last .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Thank You Sponsors!